Man of Honour
With temps that high (and they are only going to get worse as Summer arrives) the only option to get them under control if you have a decent cooler already is probably to delid it. I had to do my old 4790k because the paste inside had dried up and temps were very high even on custom water. I delided it, cleaned the Intel paste up which had set like cement, applied Coolaboratory liquid ultra and relidded it. That knocked a whopping 25 degrees C off the temps. I did my 4670k not long after I got it and even that had 15 degrees C knocked off.

Associate
I agree with the cpu overclock my i5 3570k still runs at 4.8ghz on 1.23v so you should get at least 4.2 I’d say from what I remember. Get yourself the best gpu you can afford to spend for now and save up for a new mobo and cpu.
I’d run some online power consumption tests and enter everything you have in the pc like fans ssd’s ect ect and see if your current power supply is able to power your new card.
Old power supply’s tend to run a little less efficient when they get older so I’d shave a little off the max wattage when you calculate it online to be safe.

Should add I also de-lidded my cpu and that makes a massive difference on temps and in return the voltage required for the overclock.
Once you over clock the cpu it will feel like a new pc for now

Associate
OP
What have you got strapped to the top of that CPU?

Cutting the rear mesh isn't going to make a significant dent on those 'very high' temps - something else is amiss (what was the vCore at 4.3GHz?). A CPU refit may if it's not making full contact with the heatsink or compound has dried out.

What are your temps at stock settings at idle and load? Also, how are you going about your clock?

@Plec I have a Noctua NH-D14 (x1 120mm x1 140mm fan) strapped to the CPU, also have a 120mm blowing air out of case.

What voltage (Vcore) are you using? It's not an "auto OC" is it?

@Danny75 Have to admit I may have had it on auto OC until last year xD OC to 3.9GHZ. Voltage Core is 1.25 to reach 4.3GHZ.

NH-D14 would likely beat most waterpipe coolers in cooling performance per noise.
So save those moneys for something actually useful, because something else is amiss.
Could be bubblegum/toothpaste Intel put under the heatspreader going bad.
Or then voltage fed to CPU is aproaching dangerous level.

@EsaT Could be Prime95 possibly? I didnt pay much attention - only just read up on people saying new versions of Prime creating unrealistic stress on your CPU. That being said still can't believe my full load temp of 93 average is just purely due to that. Have given my case a full clean and de-dusting so will re-run this evening and see what happens.

@pastymuncher @_tucker_ De-lidding makes me very nervous as it'll be the first time I'll have done it x_x I orginally put some Arctic Thermal Paste on CPU but that was 6 years ago, so paste could be going bad now I guess. Have checked my wattage and expected usage is around 450W with the RTX 2060 - I have 650W so even minus 100W due to age it should still be safe, I will be getting an extra 500GB SSD soon though as well.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Your power draw won't be anywhere near 450w. My old 4790k clocked at 4.6Ghz with 1.275v vcore, 4x 4Gb sticks of Samsung Green overclocked and overvolted to 2133mhz C9 at 1.5v and the GTX1070 and the rest of the pc in my siggy hit a max power draw of just under 350w at the wall and only by running Linx and Furmark both at the same time. Normal gaming use was anything up to 222w at the wall depending on the game.

Delidding isn't difficult and if you have the right tool such as the der8auer De-lid Die Mate 2 or one of the other couple of tools it can't really go wrong. My first de-lid was the 4670k and I used the hammer and vice method which was extremely nerve wracking but luckily it went fine. The 4790k was done with a proper tool (Rockit de-lid tool if I remember right) that was kindly loaned to me by a fellow forum member and I didn't even give it a thought. It was a case of insert the cpu, tighten the screw until you feel it "give" and it's done. It literally took a few seconds to do. It takes much longer cleaning the die and IHS up afterwards. The tools available now even come with a clamp to relid the cpu after appying liquid metal. It's certainly a very worthwhile task. First though, if your thermal paste hasn't been changed for 6 years take the cooler off, clean it and the cpu, get rid of any dust on the cooler at the same time if there is any, apply a fresh layer of thermal paste to the cpu and reattach the cooler. Fire the pc up and see if the temps have improved. After 6 years I would be very surprised if they don't improve.

Soldato
Have to admit I may have had it on auto OC until last year xD OC to 3.9GHZ. Voltage Core is 1.25 to reach 4.3GHZ.

Other than dusting and re-pasting (which should help), the temps you are getting could be due to Adaptive voltage. 1.25v would then become 1.35v in Prime with AVX. At which point even a D14 begins to struggle. See if that's the case and change to Fixed/Manual/Override (should be called one of those three depending on board) voltage.

Associate
OP
Apologies all - been on holiday!

Your power draw won't be anywhere near 450w. My old 4790k clocked at 4.6Ghz with 1.275v vcore, 4x 4Gb sticks of Samsung Green overclocked and overvolted to 2133mhz C9 at 1.5v and the GTX1070 and the rest of the pc in my siggy hit a max power draw of just under 350w at the wall and only by running Linx and Furmark both at the same time. Normal gaming use was anything up to 222w at the wall depending on the game.

Delidding isn't difficult and if you have the right tool such as the der8auer De-lid Die Mate 2 or one of the other couple of tools it can't really go wrong. My first de-lid was the 4670k and I used the hammer and vice method which was extremely nerve wracking but luckily it went fine. The 4790k was done with a proper tool (Rockit de-lid tool if I remember right) that was kindly loaned to me by a fellow forum member and I didn't even give it a thought. It was a case of insert the cpu, tighten the screw until you feel it "give" and it's done. It literally took a few seconds to do. It takes much longer cleaning the die and IHS up afterwards. The tools available now even come with a clamp to relid the cpu after appying liquid metal. It's certainly a very worthwhile task. First though, if your thermal paste hasn't been changed for 6 years take the cooler off, clean it and the cpu, get rid of any dust on the cooler at the same time if there is any, apply a fresh layer of thermal paste to the cpu and reattach the cooler. Fire the pc up and see if the temps have improved. After 6 years I would be very surprised if they don't improve.

@pastymuncher Seriously thank you for the advice and link - I will definitely be ordering that; I've googled the vice method and I think I **** an actual brick just watching. I've bought some compressed air to further clear up the inside of dust, will order the paste and de-lid mate asap.

Other than dusting and re-pasting (which should help), the temps you are getting could be due to Adaptive voltage. 1.25v would then become 1.35v in Prime with AVX. At which point even a D14 begins to struggle. See if that's the case and change to Fixed/Manual/Override (should be called one of those three depending on board) voltage.

@Danny75 When I OC to 4.3GHZ adaptive voltage was off, but I was still getting average temps of 85-90 on all cores. Just re-set my OC to standard (with auto-volt.) and I'm still getting an average of 75 with Prime?!
For gaming in 1080p even on max I know I wont be getting 100% CPU but those temps will still be high on average, and as @pastymuncher says summer is coming :/ Idle temp is 40, spikes +30 with 100% with no OC.

Associate
OP
Morning all,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice given on this post. I have now delidded CPU and as a result have been able to get a stable OC to 4.5ghz @ 82 degrees on Prime95. RTX 2060 has been installed and was well worth the purchase.

Thanks again.
James

Man of Honour
That's a good result. In normal use you won't get temps as high as prime 95 so you should have a nice bit of temp headroom for when/if summer comes.

Just a friendly bit of advice regarding your siggy. We are only allowed 5 lines of text so best to edit it before a mod comes along and delete's the lot.

Soldato
Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice given on this post. I have now delidded CPU and as a result have been able to get a stable OC to 4.5ghz @ 82 degrees on Prime95. RTX 2060 has been installed and was well worth the purchase.
Echo @pastymuncher - great result, your nerve paid off.

Just a friendly bit of advice regarding your siggy. We are only allowed 5 lines of text so best to edit it before a mod comes along and delete's the lot.
In addition to the above, if you view the forum using 'Dark Theme' - you can't read the the darker red text, it blends into the black (although my wife is always trying to convince me i'm colour blind - so may just be me).

Associate
OP
That's a good result. In normal use you won't get temps as high as prime 95 so you should have a nice bit of temp headroom for when/if summer comes.

Thanks, and thanks for your help. I think I'm averaging approx 80% CPU load even with GTA V and the Total War series so here's hoping. Nooo! Too late haha.

Echo @pastymuncher - great result, your nerve paid off.

In addition to the above, if you view the forum using 'Dark Theme' - you can't read the the darker red text, it blends into the black (although my wife is always trying to convince me i'm colour blind - so may just be me).

I will admit I may have been shi**ing a brick during the delid process but the DieMate makes things so much simpler than the horror videos with razors and vices - really easy. Again thankyou for your help - really is appreciated.

Spent far too long working out the colour coordination on that sig to do it again, my specs will have to remain a mystery. Well if you goto the supermarket and tomatoes start looking grey she may have a point!

Permabanned
This is going to sound incredibly stupid but the very first thing I would suggest is buy a new case.

Modern cases have changed a lot since 2013. Pulling your PC apart and putting it in a new case gets you familiar with PC innards but most important of all it makes the PC "seem" completely new. Together with an overclock, and a new graphics card you will be singing! Oh and buy some more memory making it up to 16GB.

Back
Top Bottom