Getting beeped when you're not in the wrong

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I can think of a couple of roads like this where there is some sort of common understanding that they effectively become 2 lanes during rush hour/slow traffic, regardless of road markings. Quite nice to see actually.

Can you not just navigate it in the RH lane if everyone else is?

I don't want to become part of the problem and also have to dodge cars in the left lane.

Soldato
Devils advocate, but what makes you think there are two lanes entering the roundabout but only 1 exiting it? The width, shape and (lack of) markings on the road look pretty much the same on both entry and exit.

as he said .. in particular, if you are familiar with the roundabout and there is someone aggressive who is going to try and pass you on the roundabout, or exit, also going straight on, anticipate that, and take the central position on the approach to the roundabout so they can't do that ... ?

edit: looks like ther is sufficient visibility on the approach to be able to continuously flow onto it, without ever having to stop

Soldato
How aggressively are you forcing your way in front of the blue line?

If you are side by side and the road clearly becomes 2 lanes in 20 metres, then just barging in front is hardly smart.

Either drive fast enough so that you cut in safely, or drop in behind.

If there is enough space for two cars, and someone else is exiting at the same time as me, then I am gonna give them the space. There is no harm in doing so other than trying to prove a point which advantages no one.

If that roundabout was ever to be clogged because of traffic, you'll be glad people are using the space intelligently to avoid blocking up the roundabout.

Last edited:
Soldato
Devils advocate, but what makes you think there are two lanes entering the roundabout but only 1 exiting it? The width, shape and (lack of) markings on the road look pretty much the same on both entry and exit.

Have to say, looking at the image, this is what I thought too. There are no lane markings either side, so is it not a reasonable assumption that if you approach side by side, you might exit side by side? I'm not saying it is 'correct' to do so, just that I could understand some might believe that to be correct.

If you look at the streetmap rather than the linked image there are some very faint almost removed lines in the center of the entrance.

I was thinking about this and roads where I can think of and I think we do this "creating" the extra lanes more than we think. I can think of quite a few places where there is space and people will split to queue etc before the actual road markings formally split them.

Associate
you do learn to never enter a roundabout alongside someone though and just let the plebs get on with it!

Definately on the smaller roundabouts inside estates, the amount of people on the left lane that go 'straight' on a roundabout rather than following the curve. Have had to sharply brake too many times when they cut across me when I'm on the inside turning right.

Soldato
Indeed, it's a single lane off second exit. The fact it then goes to 2 lanes slightly further up is irrelevant to how you should be taking the roundabout.

Continue as you are and ignore the beepers.

Edit: Also, it's MK. You would have thought people would know how to take roundabouts in MK given there's roughly a million of them :p

I just past my test living in oxford but I will have to go to MK often for work, can't say I'm looking forward to that first couple of trips with all those roundabouts at rush hour

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I just past my test living in oxford but I will have to go to MK often for work, can't say I'm looking forward to that first couple of trips with all those roundabouts at rush hour

It's fine, you just have to put your car into launch control mode so you can get into the gaps in the roundabout traffic.

Like anywhere new its more to do with familiarisation (ie knowing which lane you need to be in etc) during rush hour than the traffic itself. If its busy your trying to navigate and deal with traffic its much harder
Always a good idea to walk through where you need to go on googlemaps streetview, look for landmarks etc. It will 9 times out of 10 make that first journey a hell of a lot easier

Soldato
It's fine, you just have to put your car into launch control mode so you can get into the gaps in the roundabout traffic.

does a 2007 1.6L Focus Diesel have LC lol, only past last week so not quite got this car yet. Where I need to go is down Avebury Blvd which is the other side of town too these two roundabous luckily

does a 2007 1.6L Focus Diesel have LC lol, only past last week so not quite got this car yet. Where I need to go is down Avebury Blvd which is the other side of town too these two roundabous luckily

yeah its not so obvious on them, to engage LC you hold the revs at 3500-4000 then when you need to move you slide your foot off the edge of the clutch rather than releasing it upwards ;)

Soldato
Like anywhere new its more to do with familiarisation (ie knowing which lane you need to be in etc) during rush hour than the traffic itself. If its busy your trying to navigate and deal with traffic its much harder
Always a good idea to walk through where you need to go on googlemaps streetview, look for landmarks etc. It will 9 times out of 10 make that first journey a hell of a lot easier

I have been doing thanks, I also plan to do a test drive on a quieter day or time of day even if its a 2hour + round trip

Associate
I am not disagreeing, I am just saying that if I was turning right or the road splits further on and I want to be in the right lane I would keep right on entering the roundabout where there are multiple lanes, it just means the situation you describe cannot happen.

Technically I would say if there is room on the exit for 2 cars, and someone is to your right, then technically they are overtaking and as such you should give way. Thats if I was being a pedant ;)

If there overtaking then the onus is on them to be aware of the road/situation they give way to car on left as we drive on the left "Still"

Soldato

MK in rush hour is a doddle! excusing a few of the larger roundabouts (Kingston as mentioned!) its usually free flowing. I've been in Oxford a few times at peak times and its hideous in comparison, least MK has duel carriageways everywhere! - though i can appreciate that can be quite daunting to a new driver.

Back
Top Bottom