EK-Velocity D-RGB confusion

Associate
hey guys, so im a little confused. I have a EK Velocity D-RGB CPU block.

It comes with a 4 pin connector. Apparently even though its 4 pin this is supposed to plug into the 5volt 3 pin input on the motherboard?

Why wouldn't it be a 3 pin connector then? Has anyone had an issues? I also have a GPU block which is a standard RGB and is also 4 pin and that goes directly into the 12 volt header and this works fine.

Any ideas?

Also motherboard is Auros x299 master.

ny5cCgy.jpg

TGSK1Qt.jpg

Soldato
make sure you get the 5v hole lined up correctly with the 5v female header !

seems as though ekwb were a bit lazy and used a standard 12v RGB female header on the D-RGB unit . can see the cable only has 3 wires on it and not 4 .

if you plugged that 5v into the 12v standard RGB, voltave would blow the LEDs. Aorus do have the option to run 5v or 12v for Digital/addressable RGB though on a side note

Associate
OP
Yeah looks like I did that In. haste.

I'm a simple man, I see 4, I stick in 4.:D

Well not going to bother to dismantle it to replace RGB for now.

Sigh

Thanks though

Associate
make sure you get the 5v hole lined up correctly with the 5v female header !

seems as though ekwb were a bit lazy and used a standard 12v RGB female header on the D-RGB unit . can see the cable only has 3 wires on it and not 4 .

if you plugged that 5v into the 12v standard RGB, voltave would blow the LEDs. Aorus do have the option to run 5v or 12v for Digital/addressable RGB though on a side note

Wow that’s an easy mistake to make, shame on EK for such sloppiness!

Associate
OP
Yeah. And it actually blew my motherboard so I had to get a new x299... Double ouch. I got a replacement RGB kit for when I do eventually drain it. Still same 4 pin D-RGB

Soldato
Yeah. And it actually blew my motherboard so I had to get a new x299... Double ouch. I got a replacement RGB kit for when I do eventually drain it. Still same 4 pin D-RGB

Covered under warranty ???

Would get on at EKWB !

All 4 pin spacing A/D RGB should have one port blanked out, if it still isn't that is really poor show from ekwb ! Ever other vendor does and stops you from inserting into normal 12v/R/G/B slot

Associate
OP
Yeah, lucky it didnt kill my 2080ti!! but yeah, completely killed my x299 gaming ultra. So i just folked out £350 for aurous master. Wont be plugging any wrong cables into that!

Soldato
Yeah, lucky it didnt kill my 2080ti!! but yeah, completely killed my x299 gaming ultra. So i just folked out £350 for aurous master. Wont be plugging any wrong cables into that!

least you've gone to a great board haha! by default, the voltage jumper on the boards ARGB should be set at 5v but double check it !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom