BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
Dead as in Ubiquiti are shifting their focus away from the embedded devices that they've struggled to develop the software for and retain developers in house, the first casualty being the USG X8. Your USG will continue to get incremental updates but I wouldn't bet on any features that it doesn't have now ever being added - so get used to shoving the json configs onto the controller manually if you want to do anything that isn't exposed in the UI.

Soldato
A follow up to my post above, Internet has finally been fixed after ~5 weeks and 6 visits, turns out it was a dodgy port in the cabinet and it took them this long to add more capacity to be able to move me to a alternate port plus a Engineer that would do it.

Each Engineer seemed to have no clue what work the previous one had done.

Soldato
Hey all - I have a few instances of people complaining about BT Broadband business wise.

I've been and done tests on behalf of a friend's business and speed is shocking and total dropouts seem to be quite regular. They have reported this but each time get the story of "nothing wrong, £300 to send someone out if it's your fault". I've reterminated wiring in the box and checked microfilter etc...

I've put a RPi with Smokeping in on one site to prove the dropouts, but has anyone had any success in getting out of a BT Contract outside of contacting ofcom?

Edit - more info post below

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey all - I have a few instances of people complaining about BT Broadband business wise.

A company with a few million customers has a 'few' complaints? Sounds like a great ratio.

I've been and done tests on behalf of a friend's business and speed is shocking and total dropouts seem to be quite regular. They have reported this but each time get the story of "nothing wrong, £300 to send someone out if it's your fault". I've reterminated wiring in the box and checked microfilter etc...

You've posted no sync/line stats at all, no mention of what the line checker estimates and what the hardback threshold is, no speedtest results, and nothing about testing methodology. Combine that with telling us you've decided to re-terminate a master socket that is BT's property and you can see why i'd ask. Plug the router direct to the test socket, connect via a wired connection and view the sync data, check it's in the range of the line checker estimate, then run a seediest using auto and then a few other local servers.

If the connection is sub standard, it's likely to be sub standard with a new provider as in most cases the issue is between the cab and the user rather than the backhaul or core network.

Soldato
A company with a few million customers has a 'few' complaints? Sounds like a great ratio.

You've posted no sync/line stats at all, no mention of what the line checker estimates and what the hardback threshold is, no speedtest results, and nothing about testing methodology. Combine that with telling us you've decided to re-terminate a master socket that is BT's property and you can see why i'd ask. Plug the router direct to the test socket, connect via a wired connection and view the sync data, check it's in the range of the line checker estimate, then run a seediest using auto and then a few other local servers.

If the connection is sub standard, it's likely to be sub standard with a new provider as in most cases the issue is between the cab and the user rather than the backhaul or core network.
Hi. Points taken but everything was fine until they switched to BT. Just someone decided to take a deal to move to BT and I've been getting nagged about it with questions since :(

I know the wiring on this area is ancient (I had to kick up a stink to get new cabling from the pole which fixed my issues when I was with BT) and they are probably on the limit distance wise but it's annoying how these kind of drops didn't happen with the old provider so maybe the BT router is being a bit optimistic ;) Router is on main socket, microfilters are in both and I've tried new ones.

I'll see if I can get round there and on their router for sync stats later. I live around the corner and was on infinity for a few years before moving to VM so DSL isn't something I'm amazingly familiar with anymore.

They are getting 4-8Mbit down and 1 up which is pretty awful (using wired) but to be honest the old provider wasn't much faster. It's more stability they are concerned with. They are seeing the sync dropping on the router itself. Streaming works mostly OK but an ssh session externally is all over the place so something is not quite right. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi. Points taken but everything was fine until they switched to BT. Just someone decided to take a deal to move to BT and I've been getting nagged about it with questions since :(

I know the wiring on this area is ancient (I had to kick up a stink to get new cabling from the pole which fixed my issues when I was with BT) and they are probably on the limit distance wise but it's annoying how these kind of drops didn't happen with the old provider so maybe the BT router is being a bit optimistic ;) Router is on main socket, microfilters are in both and I've tried new ones.

I'll see if I can get round there and on their router for sync stats later. I live around the corner and was on infinity for a few years before moving to VM so DSL isn't something I'm amazingly familiar with anymore.

They are getting 4-8Mbit down and 1 up which is pretty awful (using wired) but to be honest the old provider wasn't much faster. It's more stability they are concerned with. They are seeing the sync dropping on the router itself. Streaming works mostly OK but an ssh session externally is all over the place so something is not quite right. :)
Well random drops for me was because of a dodgy port in the cab but without line stats it’s hard to say.

Caporegime
Move to BT from whom? If they have connected their Business Hub to the test socket of the master socket and there are still problems then they won't be charged if they get Openreach out. It's also nowhere near £300.

Associate
Anyone know if it is possible to have two FTTP connections into one household? My ONT box has four ethernet ports, I've been reading up that this is one of the older style ONT devices and it maybe possible to have two different FTTP ISP's via one ONT device.

Caporegime
Anyone know if it is possible to have two FTTP connections into one household? My ONT box has four ethernet ports, I've been reading up that this is one of the older style ONT devices and it maybe possible to have two different FTTP ISP's via one ONT device.
If your ONT has two termination points then I believe it is, yes. Newer ONT's have only one though.

Soldato
So switched over from BT to Sky today, quick question. Will it speed it up slightly?

On bt I got max sync with 3db profile, I know I won't get on that straight away.

With a 6db profile I got 72000-74000 down or so.

Before the sky modem was hooked up I had the 612 connected, which while it couldn't log onto the sky network can still grab sync and tell me.

Stats from that claim max downstream to be 72000 or so (basically what I got on 6db), but it's currently at 62000 something. Over the minimum sky said, but lower than bt on a 6db.

The interleave profile is different according to the 612 though. BT had 16 on downstream, sky shows 1225. There's also no g.inp on sky but was on BT. Ping times are slightly higher.

Sky hub which is hooked up now gets same speed as 612, but not so many useful stats. I assume it's the dslam reset and I just leave it be and the dlsam will eventually give me the same profile and same speed? If not, what gives? same line, same everything, but lower speed.

Thanks.

Caporegime
So switched over from BT to Sky today, quick question. Will it speed it up slightly?

On bt I got max sync with 3db profile, I know I won't get on that straight away.

With a 6db profile I got 72000-74000 down or so.

Before the sky modem was hooked up I had the 612 connected, which while it couldn't log onto the sky network can still grab sync and tell me.

Stats from that claim max downstream to be 72000 or so (basically what I got on 6db), but it's currently at 62000 something. Over the minimum sky said, but lower than bt on a 6db.

The interleave profile is different according to the 612 though. BT had 16 on downstream, sky shows 1225. There's also no g.inp on sky but was on BT. Ping times are slightly higher.

Sky hub which is hooked up now gets same speed as 612, but not so many useful stats. I assume it's the dslam reset and I just leave it be and the dlsam will eventually give me the same profile and same speed? If not, what gives? same line, same everything, but lower speed.

Thanks.
Every connection starts on standard settings but if the line is good you should drop to 3db in the next week or so.

Soldato
Every connection starts on standard settings but if the line is good you should drop to 3db in the next week or so.

Thanks. What about the much higher interleaving depth and no g.inp. I assume they get sorted as well? Even comparing 6db profile to 6db, skys standard profile seems 10mb or so less than the 6db profile I originally had on BT (before I got shifted to 3db a few months ago).

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks. What about the much higher interleaving depth and no g.inp. I assume they get sorted as well? Even comparing 6db profile to 6db, skys standard profile seems 10mb or so less than the 6db profile I originally had on BT (before I got shifted to 3db a few months ago).

g.inp should hopefully apply after a couple of days.

Soldato
Ok thanks. I don't reboot often and line is definitely stable, sync was 74 days at 3db with no problem, max speed before it resynced lower on whatever the default sky profile is at the switchover.

So hopefully g.inp comes on and interleave depth lowers, which I assume will give me the same sort of 6db sync as BT & then hopefully 3db after that.

It's not a massive issue, but I thought 6db was 6db and would be same speed out the gate. Why does the cab start with a much higher interleave depth and no g.inp?

Caporegime

It is possible. You will want to hope your ISP is competent, and give them the barcode and port number off your ONT when you place the order.

Soldato
It's not a massive issue, but I thought 6db was 6db and would be same speed out the gate. Why does the cab start with a much higher interleave depth and no g.inp?

If they started too optimistic the connection would be constantly failing as it worked down to a reliable level. Better for their customers, and their support lines, to play it safe and gradually work up.

Soldato
Ok thanks. I don't reboot often and line is definitely stable, sync was 74 days at 3db with no problem, max speed before it resynced lower on whatever the default sky profile is at the switchover.

So hopefully g.inp comes on and interleave depth lowers, which I assume will give me the same sort of 6db sync as BT & then hopefully 3db after that.

All lines are reset when changing providers or packages now which results in a higher interleaving, removal of g.inp and standard dB profiles. It can take a while to settle down again. My line took about 2-3 weeks.

Soldato
If they started too optimistic the connection would be constantly failing as it worked down to a reliable level. Better for their customers, and their support lines, to play it safe and gradually work up.

All lines are reset when changing providers or packages now which results in a higher interleaving, removal of g.inp and standard dB profiles. It can take a while to settle down again. My line took about 2-3 weeks.

Thanks. I'll just leave it be and wait for dlm to do it's thing then :).

Back
Top Bottom