Is loss of power an MOT fail?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
As in once they see they will fail it straight away, they won't even bother checking anything else :)
This is totally illogical, think about it :p

I would be rather annoyed if i had paid for a test and they did do that, for the fee i would expect a complete report so that i know where i stand with the vehicle in terms of repair. If a tester abandoned the test at first clear failure then no-one would ever know the total damage to get through!

Caporegime
Seems odd, you have paid for the test, you clearly want to know everything which is wrong, not just the first item............................

If you look on the MOT test history site its easy to find cars with whole lists of issues raised on one test.

*As above, hes making stuff up again.

Soldato

I would be rather annoyed if i had paid for a test and they did do that, for the fee i would expect a complete report so that i know where i stand with the vehicle in terms of repair. If a tester abandoned the test at first clear failure then no-one would ever know the total damage to get through!

Normally you get a free re-test.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Yes but you always get (and would expect) a full rundown, so that for the retest you present in passable state. If they abandoned after each fail item you would be going round in circles test after test with some old vehicles.

Soldato
As an aside, I have always podererd how often the following scenario occurs.

MOT fail due to large windscreen crack in designated area.

On way back for retest, after new windscreen fitted, stone causes large crack in designated are resulting in a second fail.

Statistically this must have happened to somebody.

Indeed, statistically, this must have happened to some poor SOB twice, or even three times or more, in a row!

:p

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
As an aside, I have always podererd how often the following scenario occurs.

MOT fail due to large windscreen crack in designated area.

On way back for retest, after new windscreen fitted, stone causes large crack in designated are resulting in a second fail.

Statistically this must have happened to somebody.

Indeed, statistically, this must have happened to some poor SOB twice, or even three times or more, in a row!

:p
You could apply that to any MOT noteworthy damage happening on the way to a test :)

Soldato
You could apply that to any MOT noteworthy damage happening on the way to a test :)

Yes, but windscreens in particular, are a random failure event.

Even the possibility of bulb fails can be mitigated by fitting new ones a month or so before the test is due. (Not immediatly before the test, new compoanants can fail too, but after a month or so, the replacements should be considererd reliable.)

But there is little that you can do to mitigate the possibility of a stone on the windscreen

Man of Honour
I love all the talk of "instant fail" and "automatic fail" that you get in MOT and law breaking related discussions.

Instant fail as opposed to what? A belated fail? A gradual fail? An epic fail? :p

It is usually contrasted against things that you might get away with versus things that will never get through an MOT unless the tester is blind.

Its Nasher, my default position if its something I dont know to be true, is to assume its the opposite to what he posts. I haven't been let down yet ;)
In fact I take his Brexit supporting position as a guarantee its the wrong option :)

Soldato
I think any warning light is a fail isn't it?

I had taken my passenger seat out a while back to make space for stuff and as such had the passenger airbag warning light illuminated. I phoned the garage to ask if that would fly and was told the light would cause a fail. They didn't seem bothered about whether my car had a passenger seat or not, just that the light was lit.

only if it relates to a safety feature as said above. one of my cars has an aircon warning light on the dash because i've removed the air con from the car. it's been through the mot on the new rules no issues.

Soldato
One of mine was identified as leaking minorly as an advisory on my MOT this april.

A month later i brought it in as it was making a loud noise. Ended up getting 3 injectors removed/cleaned up/seals replaced for £190 from my good local independent which seems good to me!

I drive a 1.6diesel suzuki sx4 and guess labour cost depends on the car/engine accessibility.

Back
Top Bottom