******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
This isn't a comment against SC at all, and was something I was very reticent about in the elite beta/alpha period but.... You guys "playing " it now are you not worried about burnout before the game even releases? I would worry about seeing the game with her pants down before even getting to take her to dinner!

There is nothing on the game atm that could burnout the players. And i mean nothing as no content other than some additional stuff to the tech demo we had since 2014.

Soldato
Yeah, the narrower scope should have been what was on the Kickstarter. I backed a space combat game - adding racing etc was a total "WTF are you doing?" moment for me, and it's just got worse. all that ***** could have been added after the game was live. sandworms, FFS. really.

I doubt there'll be a dozen systems, if so far they've barely got two planets or whatever it is. IMO, there should have just been spacestations ~ modular perhaps, so they could have they assembled different ways enough to make each a little bit different ~ and had them above planets you couldn't get to; adding the planetary landings/access, or just atmospheric combat above cities even if you couldn't land there, would have been a huge addition that would bring in fresh media attention, fresh hype and new players. now, it seems they want to have everything and dump it all at once, and they're failing on multiple levels. even if it comes out great, what will they have to add fresh life to the game? a new ship or two? that's sort of "meh" for everyone but the ones who want that ship.
the large ships are fantastic, and had massive potential for game fun; going from space combat to boarding a ship and doing FPS action would have been stunning. controlling a ship like that would have been interesting too for those who are into that sort of thing - taking a massive tanker/freighter around systems could have been interesting, and controlling a battleship or something could have been stunning too, if they'd been able to get some wargaming type mechanics working so you could control fighter launches, defence battery firing and the like.

"Do you belive this game is going to die and fail?" sadly, yeah, I think so. there are several problems I can foresee;
- S42 is still only Beta next year, so when the main game will be ready, who knows. and if S42 is cac, it will colour perceptions of what the main game will finally end up like.
- if the game launches and you can't use that $1600 ship you paid for and have been waiting to use for 2 years, you're gonna be ****ed off, and that will cause bad blood at best, legal issues at worst.
- The stuff we're seeing/have seen, is arguably years old tech (some, anyways), so the end result could look very dated against other newer games, and that could affect reviews/word of mouth, and that could affect people wanting to buy in
- If the game is not stellar, if it end up only getting 60, 70% in reviews or whatever, it'll probably be a death knell. it needs to be high 90s to live up to the hype.
- they've already been gazumped by Elite: Dangerous, there could be any number of other games quietly under development that could steal SC's thunder. In my opinion, it's a massive blessing that E:D is what it is ~ people still tied to the cockpit, a lot of nothing going on in 99.99% of the universe; because if it did a lot of what SC's touting, ie let you get out, FPS in stations and planets etc etc, I think a huge amount of people would have given up and jumped ship already.

@bigmike20vt ~ don't think that's an issue so far, at least as far as I saw when I last played a couple years back, in that the environment was there but other aspects weren't - no interacting NPCs etc - so i'd think (hope) that on release you could go to the same place, but now there'd be a lot of characters to talk to, shops to buy stuff in, etc etc. I might be way out of date on that though.

Soldato
OP
I cant remember the last EA game I bought which felt finished tbh.

There is plenty of fun to be had playing with others, single player or gets less interesting imho particularly traveling time

Soldato
OP
Yeah, the narrower scope should have been what was on the Kickstarter. I backed a space combat game - adding racing etc was a total "WTF are you doing?" moment for me, and it's just got worse. all that ***** could have been added after the game was live. sandworms, FFS. really.

I doubt there'll be a dozen systems, if so far they've barely got two planets or whatever it is. IMO, there should have just been spacestations ~ modular perhaps, so they could have they assembled different ways enough to make each a little bit different ~ and had them above planets you couldn't get to; adding the planetary landings/access, or just atmospheric combat above cities even if you couldn't land there, would have been a huge addition that would bring in fresh media attention, fresh hype and new players. now, it seems they want to have everything and dump it all at once, and they're failing on multiple levels. even if it comes out great, what will they have to add fresh life to the game? a new ship or two? that's sort of "meh" for everyone but the ones who want that ship.
the large ships are fantastic, and had massive potential for game fun; going from space combat to boarding a ship and doing FPS action would have been stunning. controlling a ship like that would have been interesting too for those who are into that sort of thing - taking a massive tanker/freighter around systems could have been interesting, and controlling a battleship or something could have been stunning too, if they'd been able to get some wargaming type mechanics working so you could control fighter launches, defence battery firing and the like.

"Do you belive this game is going to die and fail?" sadly, yeah, I think so. there are several problems I can foresee;
- S42 is still only Beta next year, so when the main game will be ready, who knows. and if S42 is cac, it will colour perceptions of what the main game will finally end up like.
- if the game launches and you can't use that $1600 ship you paid for and have been waiting to use for 2 years, you're gonna be ****ed off, and that will cause bad blood at best, legal issues at worst.
- The stuff we're seeing/have seen, is arguably years old tech (some, anyways), so the end result could look very dated against other newer games, and that could affect reviews/word of mouth, and that could affect people wanting to buy in
- If the game is not stellar, if it end up only getting 60, 70% in reviews or whatever, it'll probably be a death knell. it needs to be high 90s to live up to the hype.
- they've already been gazumped by Elite: Dangerous, there could be any number of other games quietly under development that could steal SC's thunder. In my opinion, it's a massive blessing that E:D is what it is ~ people still tied to the cockpit, a lot of nothing going on in 99.99% of the universe; because if it did a lot of what SC's touting, ie let you get out, FPS in stations and planets etc etc, I think a huge amount of people would have given up and jumped ship already.

@bigmike20vt ~ don't think that's an issue so far, at least as far as I saw when I last played a couple years back, in that the environment was there but other aspects weren't - no interacting NPCs etc - so i'd think (hope) that on release you could go to the same place, but now there'd be a lot of characters to talk to, shops to buy stuff in, etc etc. I might be way out of date on that though.

if you haven't played for a couple of years then tbh you've little real idea of what's in there now.

They are making a lot of custom tools to roll out missions, create cities etc so making things is gradually becoming faster it's not all procedural either, most is checked by a developer.

Soldato
I gave up on this game long time ago when it started to feel like Amazon online shopping for digital ships. I backed it in kickstarter and will give it a go when it's finally released, but I'll probably have dementia by then and will have forgotten about it.

Caporegime
The Problem CIG have right now is the existing server architecture just can't handle multiple systems, as Brian Chambers said in the last Britizencon "if we put everything we had now in the game it would kill the servers"

I think what they have been doing is sandbagging until the get Server Meshing up and running, there has been an explosion of content added since they got Client Meshing up and running in 2018 but they are hitting the hard wall of that now, now the servers as they currently exist can't cope.

Soldato
I cant remember the last EA game I bought which felt finished tbh.

There is plenty of fun to be had playing with others, single player or gets less interesting imho particularly traveling time
Plenty like apex legends and fifa and BF games are more "finished" then this game.

Yes some of those ar enot perfect but the core gameplay is there and anyone can sync in good times on it whne it was first launched.

The budget for those games were also probably cheaper then this one or comparable but it did not take 10 years to make.

I believe on a big publisher like EA would make this game happen

Soldato
OP
Plenty like apex legends and fifa and BF games are more "finished" then this game.

Yes some of those ar enot perfect but the core gameplay is there and anyone can sync in good times on it whne it was first launched.

The budget for those games were also probably cheaper then this one or comparable but it did not take 10 years to make.

I believe on a big publisher like EA would make this game happen

scope for those is tiny in comparison, not a lot of innovation required either that's not in engine.. that's where delays have come from tbh.

Humbug him and Tony Z should run it tbh.

Soldato
The Problem CIG have right now is the existing server architecture just can't handle multiple systems, as Brian Chambers said in the last Britizencon "if we put everything we had now in the game it would kill the servers"
if that's not a covering-up excuse, it sound like ****-poor planning, to me. i'd have thought server consideration would have been right at the very top of any pre-planning - spending hundreds of millions in money and manhours on a game then realising it won't fit on what you've got is total incompetence. we've had all that kinda **** at work here, hand us all $2500 macbooks so we can look like an awesome company, give us £250 iphones cos we need a PIN-generating app instead of the 50p RSA token we'd been using, then a few weeks later announce the build on the macs can't/won't do what we need so cue much flapping, fumbling, genius ideas of handing out more SP4s etc etc. all because everyone in charge has no ****ing experience in the role they're supposed to be doing.
even w/ CR's ego-mad expansion of scope, server impact and upgrades should have been right at the top of the "can we?" list.

Caporegime
if that's not a covering-up excuse, it sound like ****-poor planning, to me. i'd have thought server consideration would have been right at the very top of any pre-planning - spending hundreds of millions in money and manhours on a game then realising it won't fit on what you've got is total incompetence. we've had all that kinda **** at work here, hand us all $2500 macbooks so we can look like an awesome company, give us £250 iphones cos we need a PIN-generating app instead of the 50p RSA token we'd been using, then a few weeks later announce the build on the macs can't/won't do what we need so cue much flapping, fumbling, genius ideas of handing out more SP4s etc etc. all because everyone in charge has no ****ing experience in the role they're supposed to be doing.
even w/ CR's ego-mad expansion of scope, server impact and upgrades should have been right at the top of the "can we?" list.

Oh i agree, yet the priority for them was to bring in the money by selling ships for some playable content.

Without that, no game.

Soldato
I honestly find this hilariously sad, this would be epic if it ever gets released but the sheer incompetence of management is staggering. It looks pretty though.

Soldato
I backed for multi player, little interest in solo or single player which is why I stopped playing ED. Rather play a broken SC than ED on my own tbh
I am kind of the opposite. When CIG made it clear VR was no longer really a concern and that PvP slider was removed my interest plummeted. Sadly I was punished for giving the benefit of the doubt. I finally decided to refund 6 months or so ago but was unable to. I am not in the hole for a massive amount, about $65 , but it was more the principle of it and that it is looking less and less like a game I want to play. Even bigger pain is the kind of MP I do like , coop PvE with mates is no longer being supported in S42. I am no longer angry ... Just dissapointed. When I backed star citizen was essentially a spiritual successor to wing commander and privateer with multiplayer options. That really is all I wanted. With no VR it is possible I will never play it even if it comes out..... But ... Maybe I will.

Funnily enough I am also ****** about ED as well but for opposite reason as you. In the Design Decision Forum every feature had NPC equivalents for the solo player, so wingmates and a detailed npc ships crew with proper RPG elements (training them up and doing missions for them). This all went under a bus for "multiplayer only equivalents".

Back
Top Bottom