The Tesla Thread

Associate
Yeah well I cried a bit in my heart when I saw that £40k price, I had considered one in a couple years time after I'm done with my Octavia VRS. But I cant afford the payments on that price and it sort of enrages me a bit when he said it was going to be $35k :(

Soldato
No it doesn’t...

It equals £40k when you increase the trim of the car and bundle basic auto pilot (note it’s not enhanced). Then add on VAT and import duty (10%), the cost of shipping the car itself is negligible in the grand scheme of things, you get very good rates when your filling the entire boat.

That said the SR plus is a much better car than what was promised for the $35k car and is really a no brainier for the $2.5k extra. But I can see why people have gripes with having to spend $2k on basic autopilot if they didn’t want/couldn’t afford it.

The SR+ would come in at £36k after government grant if it wasn't bundled instead of £38k now it is.

When you compare the Model 3 SR+ to the Leaf e+ which is just under £40k before the government grant I know what I’d buy....

Soldato
My wife drives 125 miles each way to work 4 days a week. Max range at 100% on our LR is 325 but we also have the 19” wheels which does reduce the range by 10% or so.

At 100% charge and driving between 75-85mph all the way (100 miles are highway) she can just about make it there and back with no charging, but it’s tight. She normally stops off on the way back for 10 minutes at the supercharger (soon to be upgraded from 300mph to 600mph) which gives her 50 miles (100 after upgrade), and time to grab a drink. She will be charging at work soon, so that will completely alleviate that need. If she drove at 70mph the entire way, I have no doubt 280-300 miles would be the true range.

End result is $500 a month saved in petrol, and a much more relaxing commute with the autopilot.
I'm amazed that there's that much of a change from having bigger wheels. I know they will be heavier but 10% on range seems high, would it be the same for an IC car (I can't see why it wouldn't be).

Soldato
I'm amazed that there's that much of a change from having bigger wheels. I know they will be heavier but 10% on range seems high, would it be the same for an IC car (I can't see why it wouldn't be).

Wheels make a huge difference in the amount of drag on a car, it’s quite surprising. The 19’s on the Tesla don’t have the aero covers that the 18’s do, and come with stickier tires too. If you take the aero covers off the 18’s you lose 5 or 6% alone from what studies have shown.

Soldato
Wheels make a huge difference in the amount of drag on a car, it’s quite surprising. The 19’s on the Tesla don’t have the aero covers that the 18’s do, and come with stickier tires too. If you take the aero covers off the 18’s you lose 5 or 6% alone from what studies have shown.
I had to look up what aero covers are. Tesla really are pushing boundaries.

Associate
Evezy listed the Model 3 recently, £599 a month for Standard and £799 a month for Long Range.

https://evezy.co.uk/our-vehicles/

You have to pay the first 4 months payments upfront, but for 'all inclusive' motoring with no more than a 1 month commitment, its pretty good. Its a bit too much more than the i3 I have to consider swapping though. If anyone is seriously interested, drop me a message and I'll send you my referral for £50 off.

Soldato
How comes you decided not to proceed?

I've mentioned it further back in the thread, but in the end, the price wasn't where I needed it to be to justify the purchase. It essentially wiped out the fuel saving against the 'equivalent' BMW or Audi. If it had come in around the £30-33k mark pre grant, which it was rumoured at when I put the deposit down then I would've been interested.

maybe waiting to see the VW ID :D

Interested in the ID BUZZ for sure!

Soldato
I've mentioned it further back in the thread, but in the end, the price wasn't where I needed it to be to justify the purchase. It essentially wiped out the fuel saving against the 'equivalent' BMW or Audi. If it had come in around the £30-33k mark pre grant, which it was rumoured at when I put the deposit down then I would've been interested.

The BMW 330i which is a whisker slower to 60 than the SR+ is listed at £37,665 or £38,915 if you add tech pack and radar cruise. You will be able to negotiate quite a discount on the BMW whereas you can't on the Tesla, but you're probably going to break even on fuel in a few years there. The performance model is cheaper than a base M3 and faster to 60, and faster round a track (in one Top Gear test in the hands of a novice).

A significantly slower AUDI A3 Saloon (SR+ seems to sit between A3 & S3) is £34,780.

So there's other ways of looking at equivalency than performance, spec and size, but it looks like Tesla have positioned the Model 3 competitively. I agree though, It's a shame the $35k model has never *really* surfaced, I think they never really got the margins they predicted on it. Maybe in a year or so if demand for the expensive models dwindles and production improves we'll see them introduce the SR again?

Soldato
Missed a trick in UK with SR+ breaking £40k. I think the ID.3 looks a good alternative now aswell.

Seem Tesla have tuned a Model3 version specifically for Canada, software limited range to get the price down for incentives which you can pay for unlock later.

Caporegime
Last I heard is the 150km version cannot be unlocked and Tesla have been clear on that, because if they can it would be disqualified from the incentive.

The reason the did it is so the SR+ would also gain the incentive. No one is going to a actually buy the 150km car. The Canadian incentive applies to any car that MSRPs under $45k, but if one version is under $45k then any trim under $55k also gets the incentive, so with the $44,900 150kn car under $45k the SR+ can also get it, as it’s considered a trim and around $54k. LR and Performance don’t get it as they start at more than $55k.

Last edited:
Soldato
The ID3 First isn’t that much cheaper than the Model 3 and offers far less. Smaller car, less range, slower charging, no auto pilot.

It’s price competitive but don’t think they are under cutting Tesla, they really aren’t. Looking at the Leaf is very much another discussion.

Soldato
Still a good alternative which may be driving a lot of the deposit returns. It’s VW so some people will prefer the more typical ownership experience it potentially provides. Ie. being able to get parts in a more timely manner. More typical interior and controls for an older generation of buyer etc. Proper hatchback.

Soldato
What colour we thinking?

Grey? https://imgur.com/gallery/CtiZea7
YuBs2lo.jpg

Or blue? https://imgur.com/a/Adc7j
i3o2uiqo3h311.jpg

Without the aero covers.

Soldato
I saw both colours in the flesh on Sunday and the grey is lovely, but I would only choose it if I was going to upgrade the aero wheels because there's no enough contrast in that configuration.

What a car though. The sound system is phenomenal. I want one so bad.

Back
Top Bottom