Rift s whos getting one?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Despite the specs for the S being no great shakes, just read a review that was very positive regarding perceived resolution and the legibility of say text in a cockpit.
As such, have pre-ordered for the 21st. If it’s not a genuine improvement on the current Rift, I’ll simply return it.

Soldato
OP
Despite the specs for the S being no great shakes, just read a review that was very positive regarding perceived resolution and the legibility of say text in a cockpit.
As such, have pre-ordered for the 21st. If it’s not a genuine improvement on the current Rift, I’ll simply return it.
Same here if its not an upgrade then back it goes. Iam still keeping an eye on the reverb and index though as a back up plan.

Associate
Just have to wait until the 21st for it to be delivered along with a Quest. I cancelled my order with Oculus yesterday and re-ordered through Amazon AU as they will ship to me before release so I get it on release day :)

oculus2.PNG

@Tested Vid - not quite sure why he couldnt use his headphones with the RiftS, I use a set of Sennheiser over ear with my PSVR just fine, and a set of Sony travel ones.

I do prefer Jeremy's reviews to Norm's - more thorough.

Soldato
Good review that. Too many compromises for me to ditch my CV1, despite the increased resolution. In fact the increased clarity is the only real advantage - in every other respect for me the CV1 is better. I have prescription lenses for my CV1, so even the issues with glasses comfort in the Rift doesn't matter.

What I would have liked was something more like the Quest form factor, with the Rift-S camera layout, higher resolution dual screen with IPD adjust and built in headphones like the CV1. Basically like the HP Reverb but with Oculus lenses and tracking and IPD adjust.

Soldato
Good review that. Too many compromises for me to ditch my CV1, despite the increased resolution. In fact the increased clarity is the only real advantage - in every other respect for me the CV1 is better. I have prescription lenses for my CV1, so even the issues with glasses comfort in the Rift doesn't matter.

What I would have liked was something more like the Quest form factor, with the Rift-S camera layout, higher resolution dual screen with IPD adjust and built in headphones like the CV1. Basically like the HP Reverb but with Oculus lenses and tracking and IPD adjust.

Sadly. For anyone who has sensors nicely setup, its:

Better Clarity
Better glasses support
Pass-though
Better SDE

vs

Better black levels
Better contrast
Better Audio
Better tracking
Better Refresh rate
Better comfort

If they'd increased the FOV of the Rift S to 130-150, I think everyone would have upgraded.

Soldato
Another disadvantage compared to CV1 is the layout of the tracking ring on the new touch controllers. The current controllers are excellently balanced, the new ones look top-heavy. How they are in practice will be interesting (I have a Quest on pre-order so I'll soon be able to find out).

Associate
Do people think that it'll be possible to use wireless ear buds with a Rift S? (or maybe will there be synchronisation problems?)

Soldato
Do people think that it'll be possible to use wireless ear buds with a Rift S? (or maybe will there be synchronisation problems?)
The best bet is the tested mod with the porta pros. I think that will suffice. I'm tempted to just use my CH700Ns in wired mode.

Audio is such a sour point with the Rift S. I'm waiting for reviews to come out on it because I think I might just switch out my CV1 for it eventually if there is any FOV increase.

Soldato
Hmm... I wasn't too impressed by the through the lens shots.

I might just sell my OG Rift + 3 sensors anyway though and get a Rift S because I just like the idea of a change. Also I have SOOO many wires now going across my room (5.1 speaker setup from an AVR and also 2 wires running through for my amp/dac for headphones). Its just too messy and I want to de-clutter.

I still think an OG Rift at £200 or so is a great buy given the built in audio and tracking. I'll feel a bit sad letting it go.

Associate
My 1080ti struggles with the Vive Pro in sims, having to turn everything down and still not a smooth experience. I refuse to buy a 2080ti as I have a 2-3 year policys now on GPU`s. Part of me would rather spend a modest £400 for a upgrade which my 1080ti will be able to handle giving me a better experience. I`m, sure my Vive Pro will destroy it when the 3080ti or 4080ti comes out.

Soldato
I've just cancelled my Quest order and pre-ordered the Rift S. Having used a Rift in the past I think I might be disappointed by the Quest's graphics, but I really need inside-out tracking for my space. I think the Rift S will work for me if I use extension cables.

Back
Top Bottom