CAA Drone Registration costs money!

Soldato
OP
It’s £16.50. Get a grip.

When you consider that the US has a similar setup and only charges $5 for 3 years, welcome to ripoff Britain.

One question that doesn't seem to have answer as well, if you register your drone, and fail to renew it a year later what happens then, do they come knocking on your door? Do you get bailiffs demanding payment or will you get the Police knocking on the door ready to drag your criminal a$$ to prison for non payment of the drone license.

Caporegime
When you consider that the US has a similar setup and only charges $5 for 3 years, welcome to ripoff Britain.

The length of time you’ve moan about this £16.50 in this thread, even at minimum wage, I think you’ve earned enough to pay for that for a few years...

Probably a sign that time best spent going out getting a 2nd job to pay for this instead of complaint over £16.50 if £16.50 is really that expensive to you.

Soldato
It's the UK. If they can tax you for something, your getting taxed.

Why is it not free, what is this money paying for exactly? About 30 bits of storage space on a database?

Soldato
OP
The length of time you’ve moan about this £16.50 in this thread, even at minimum wage, I think you’ve earned enough to pay for that for a few years...

Probably a sign that time best spent going out getting a 2nd job to pay for this instead of complaint over £16.50 if £16.50 is really that expensive to you.

Nothing to do with the cost, its all about the principal of the scheme and the way it impacts the hobby in a negative manner. Most of the details are not known yet but as it stands most of the drone community are against it, and more importantly as has been said already, who enforces it because the Police certainly won't they don't have the man power to tackle even basic crimes let alone someone flying a drone in a dodgy manner (unless its an airport).

Caporegime
Nothing to do with the cost, its all about the principal of the scheme and the way it impacts the hobby in a negative manner. Most of the details are not known yet but as it stands most of the drone community are against it, and more importantly as has been said already, who enforces it because the Police certainly won't they don't have the man power to tackle even basic crimes let alone someone flying a drone in a dodgy manner (unless its an airport).

Oh really? You can't even lie properly.

/checks thread title.

CAA Drone Registration costs money!

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Soldato

I suspect many flying RC planes/choppers won't bother. How likely is it that the cops will show up to a field in the middle of nowhere and check everyone?

Soldato
Questions on the Aussie drone flying test are brilliant! :D

p9rrqqt9ocx21.png

RhjAMIg.png

nUN4AvR.png

Caporegime
It doesn't seem like it is particularly expensive and some sort of licensing/making sure people are at least aware of regulations is a good idea ditto to being able to easily fine and confiscate drones being missed as and when reported... no need to necessarily catch them in the act etc.. but simply find the bunch of chavs exiting the park stop them and ask for a licence... if no license then bye bye drone and hello court date.

As someone else mentioned this ought to apply to point of sale or at the very least work like TV sales whereby retailers take down your address and report the sale - perhaps they can then sent round Capita to check on people who have bought drones without a drone licence. :D

Associate
This country is becoming a complete and utter ******* joke, what exactly is flying a drone in a private area costing the government? anything to make a penny from us. Next we'll be charged to breath oxygen because it's in the vicinity of Great Britain.

Scam after scam after scam.

Caporegime
Oh really? You can't even lie properly.

/checks thread title.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

You're being a bit of an idiot tbh, whilst you may not care about it and £16.50 isn't a lot to you, perhaps it is to some people?

I realise it's not a lot of money, and it doesn't affect you personally, but what if you got taxed for using an SLR? I mean after all you can take pictures of ANYONE from a decent distance away in some cases, I think you should be taxed. Potential for violating personal space without consent quite frankly ;)

It is the principle, it's not going to affect anyone who does illegal activity already because they don't give a toss, it's just yet another thing in the pipeline to pee off hobbyists.

Caporegime
It doesn't seem like it is particularly expensive and some sort of licensing/making sure people are at least aware of regulations is a good idea ditto to being able to easily fine and confiscate drones being missed as and when reported... no need to necessarily catch them in the act etc.. but simply find the bunch of chavs exiting the park stop them and ask for a licence... if no license then bye bye drone and hello court date.

As someone else mentioned this ought to apply to point of sale or at the very least work like TV sales whereby retailers take down your address and report the sale - perhaps they can then sent round Capita to check on people who have bought drones without a drone licence. :D

Point of sale won't work for a lot of quadcopters because they are custom, they'd have to introduce a system like insuring your car, list manufacturer then list modifications, which would be everything other than the frame

Caporegime
Point of sale won't work for a lot of quadcopters because they are custom, they'd have to introduce a system like insuring your car, list manufacturer then list modifications, which would be everything other than the frame

That doesn't necessarily matter too much, it doesn't stop it from being implemented for drones/planes that haven't been home made. Also I'd suspect that non-home made drones would be built by serious hobbyists who'd be more likely to register for a licence.

Sure if someone really really wants to get hold of a drone (like the people flying drugs into prison) then they could, but it makes it harder for say some chavvy kid who has been caught being a nuisance in the local park or to neighbours etc... and whose parents might otherwise have been completely ignorant when buying him the thing for Christmas.

Soldato
OP
Actually if you hover around any of the hobbyist sites, most are firmly against the registration scheme. Specially the BMFA plane/helicopter flyers who have been happily doing it for 40 odd years without issue.

You'll also find that most if not all the drones sold besides the premium ones like the DJI, Parrot etc are actually below the 250g weight limit (aircraft without fuel) so are exempt from the registration scheme anyway. Most if not all sub £300 drones are below the 250g limit without their batteries so will not require registration.

Most RC aircraft and almost all hobby grade helicopters are over the 250g limit so you can see why members of the BMFA are annoyed, drones on the other hand you can easily build a high performance carbon fibre 3-4" quad copter capable of 100mph+ and 2km+ range and remain below that limit.

Of course your average chav is unlikely going to be capable of building one, let alone flying it without it launching into a brick wall or heading to the moon in seconds.

Soldato
Actually if you hover around any of the hobbyist sites, most are firmly against the registration scheme. Specially the BMFA plane/helicopter flyers who have been happily doing it for 40 odd years without issue.

You'll also find that most if not all the drones sold besides the premium ones like the DJI, Parrot etc are actually below the 250g weight limit (aircraft without fuel) so are exempt from the registration scheme anyway. Most if not all sub £300 drones are below the 250g limit without their batteries so will not require registration.

Most RC aircraft and almost all hobby grade helicopters are over the 250g limit so you can see why members of the BMFA are annoyed, drones on the other hand you can easily build a high performance carbon fibre 3-4" quad copter capable of 100mph+ and 2km+ range and remain below that limit.

Of course your average chav is unlikely going to be capable of building one, let alone flying it without it launching into a brick wall or heading to the moon in seconds.

Yes, there is definitely some wheat amongst the chaff. I can understand why true hobby flyers who have been doing it for years without compromising public safety are more upset. However someone has to account for the chaff. Basically people who do not obey the rules, who use drones to photograph private property, who do overfly sensitive spaces. These people cause grief for the normal hobbyists because if they are caught they need to be sanctioned and one means to do this is flying without a proper licence so if they do get complaints, the police or others can act legitimately to stop them.

Caporegime
You're being a bit of an idiot tbh, whilst you may not care about it and £16.50 isn't a lot to you, perhaps it is to some people?

I realise it's not a lot of money, and it doesn't affect you personally, but what if you got taxed for using an SLR? I mean after all you can take pictures of ANYONE from a decent distance away in some cases, I think you should be taxed. Potential for violating personal space without consent quite frankly ;)

It is the principle, it's not going to affect anyone who does illegal activity already because they don't give a toss, it's just yet another thing in the pipeline to pee off hobbyists.

Idiot eh....let the idiot explain it to you then (I can’t believe this needs explaining)

I’m fine with the principle and I’m fully aware £16,50 might be a million pound to some people (that doesn’t need to be explained) but the thread title says it cost money then he turns around and says it’s NOT about money. He also argued another country charges like £5 whereas it’s £16.50 here.

The point is he flipped flopped like Donald Trump, just pick one, is it the money like the thread title or is it the principle? Is he against the registration or against a penny being charged?

Clearly it’s about the money being charged as that’s the big thing he got so upset about in the title? Then why did he turn around then says it isn’t about money later on?

If you can’t have your own principle in your own argument then what’s the point?

Surely you can see that was my point at that moment? Right?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Idiot eh....let the idiot explain it to you then (I can’t believe this needs explaining)

I’m fine with the principle and I’m fully aware £16,50 might be a million pound to some people (that doesn’t need to be explained) but the thread title says it cost money then he turns around and says it’s NOT about money. He also argued another country charges like £5 whereas it’s £16.50 here.

The point is he flipped flopped like Donald Trump, just pick one, is it the money like the thread title or is it the principle? Is he against the registration or against a penny being charged?

Clearly it’s about the money being charged as that’s the big thing he got so upset about in the title? Then why did he turn around then says it isn’t about money later on?

If you can’t have your own principle in your own argument then what’s the point?

Surely you can see that was my point at that moment? Right?

I can, but I see no point in bringing it up personally, you're just arguing over that point for argument's sake.

Originally it was the money aspect maybe? Then it's evolved into him realising maybe it could be more and now he's arguing about the principle? People's opinions evolve!

Soldato
When you consider the costs compared to other hobbies its high.

Its cheaper to hold a shotgun license (£9 year), and even more so to have a driving license (£1.40 year). The entire reason for the scheme is the criminal aspect of UAV craft, with contraband being bought into prisons etc, those people are not going to be lining up to register the craft.

Shotgun license is £79.50 for 5 years so £15.90 a year... so £16.50 for a drone license is very fair

Caporegime
I can, but I see no point in bringing it up personally, you're just arguing over that point for argument's sake.

Originally it was the money aspect maybe? Then it's evolved into him realising maybe it could be more and now he's arguing about the principle? People's opinions evolve!

There is also no point brining up something that’s like a week ago and then call me an idiot.

I’m arguing what he wanted to argue until he flipped flopped. His “principles” or is it now “opinion” now? (Again, pick one) Changed within a day. What kind of principle is that? Surely by principle is something that is to your core and you stand by for much longer?

Caporegime
There is also no point brining up something that’s like a week ago and then call me an idiot.

I’m arguing what he wanted to argue until he flipped flopped. His “principles” or is it now “opinion” now? (Again, pick one) Changed within a day. What kind of principle is that?

Ah, you're one of those.

Have a good day,really can't be bothered :)

Back
Top Bottom