• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Man of Honour
Do keep up squire :D a dozen or so posts above yours :p

J/K... It's actually a decent video from him. Takes a while to get used to his monotone voice though. Been following him for a while now, very like Jim at @adoredtv where he's good at analysing tech.

Not going to lie I gave up reading :) I love you guys but jesus it's hard work in here sometimes :D

Man of Honour
Lol. So true. I just skim read these days. Frankly I am a lot more excited about zen 2 than I am of navi anyway.

Both will probably be decent enough products I think. Just navi might not be what people hope it is. Will be competitive at its price points but not an upgrade for r7 owners. I'm ok with that and the r7 is good enough for me for now.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Both will probably be decent enough products I think. Just navi might not be what people hope it is. Will be competitive at its price points but not an upgrade for r7 owners. I'm ok with that and the r7 is good enough for me for now.
Exactly, it will be an ok product. The best we can hope for is a decent improvement on price for performance. But zen 2 will be another beast altogether. If they can manage 5ghz boost clocks and price the 12 core part well, I will be upgrading :)

Soldato
Just navi might not be what people hope it is. Will be competitive at its price points but not an upgrade for r7 owners
It's only recently has there even been talking of this big Navi 20 thing. If anybody was expecting a highly-touted midrange product to suddenly trump the Radeon VII then the disappointment is of their own making IMO.

Soldato
I fully expect Navi to be an excellent low/mid range GPU and I cant wait to buy one. Nobody ever said it would be an R7 replacement. Has the hype train really exaggerated it that much?

Soldato
Nobody ever said it would be an R7 replacement. Has the hype train really exaggerated it that much?
"Navi 20 will take on the 2080 Ti and have ray tracing"
"PS5 will have ray tracing support"

And ever since then that's somehow been twisted into Navi is a beast that will crush all and is coming out in a couple of months. So yeah, the hype train got completely derailed.

Soldato
"Navi 20 will take on the 2080 Ti and have ray tracing"
"PS5 will have ray tracing support"

And ever since then that's somehow been twisted into Navi is a beast that will crush all and is coming out in a couple of months. So yeah, the hype train got completely derailed.

Oh of course. I should have known they were talking about Navi 20. They'll be be some disapointment when Navi 10 comes out then. I wonder if Navi 20 and Arcturus are the same thing since they were both due in 2020? Unless Arcturus is delayed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Arcturus is in Theory supposed to be their new architecture which would be odd to then call it Navi 20.

I think Navi 20 is just a bigger version of Navi 10 once the 7nm process is refined and further performance extracted plus better yields for large dies. I can’t see AMD wanting to put itself in Nvidias shoes of having terrible yields on a 700mm die and blowing out its costs

Soldato
I wonder if Navi 20 and Arcturus are the same thing since they were both due in 2020? Unless Arcturus is delayed.
Navi is Raja’s baby, it is the first gpu he worked on from the ground up since joining, so it will be great.
As rumoured a while back, if Raja was brought into AMD and tasked to "fix" GCN's issues (i.e. moving past 4 shader engines) and he was successful then it's possible "Next Gen"/Arcturus is pushed back because there's a bit more juice left in the GCN tank, giving AMD some development breathing room.

And call me weird, but I'm still not entirely convinced there even is a Navi 20, at least not for PC discreet cards.

Soldato
I remember seeing somewhere that Arcturus is not the codename for 'next gen' but rather an existing named product (ie could be navi) for a different market segment

Associate
I remember seeing somewhere that Arcturus is not the codename for 'next gen' but rather an existing named product (ie could be navi) for a different market segment

I've seen that recently too, from an AMD interview I saw somewhere. Seemed to imply it might be the codename for one of the new console chips or something as opposed to the next gen AMD gpu arch.

Man of Honour
and tasked to "fix" GCN's issues (i.e. moving past 4 shader engines) and he was successful then it's possible "Next Gen"/Arcturus is pushed back because there's a bit more juice left in the GCN tank, giving AMD some development breathing room.

I never really saw it as a problem myself - the issue really was that there was too many areas of the GPU that were essentially answers looking for a question and too many wide, fat approaches that sit there under-utilised because games were never made the way ATI/AMD envisioned.

Caporegime
I never really saw it as a problem myself - the issue really was that there was too many areas of the GPU that were essentially answers looking for a question and too many wide, fat approaches that sit there under-utilised because games were never made the way ATI/AMD envisioned.

Yeah, AMD have this really bad habit of providing the technology foundations to push forward, i say "bad habit" with a degree of sarcasm of course but unfortunately for us and them no one is interested in any of that. Well, a few are to be fair, it just a very slow march, far too slow.

Back
Top Bottom