• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
You would still need the fastest possible memory modules.

Not necessarily, you could end up with 3GHz RAM performing better than 4GHz if you have to run a 1/2 divider, with a 1/2 divider IF would be running at 1000Mhz with 4GHz RAM whereas 3GHz would be using a 1/1 divider so would be running at 1500MHz.

Ryzen doesn't benefit from higher clocking RAM because the RAM is faster, it benefits because the MemCLK and IFCLK share the same clock domain so higher clocked RAM automatically clocks IF higher.

Soldato
Not necessarily, you could end up with 3GHz RAM performing better than 4GHz if you have to run a 1/2 divider, with a 1/2 divider IF would be running at 1000Mhz with 4GHz RAM whereas 3GHz would be using a 1/1 divider so would be running at 1500MHz.

Ryzen doesn't benefit from higher clocking RAM because the RAM is faster, it benefits because the MemCLK and IFCLK share the same clock domain so higher clocked RAM automatically clocks IF higher.

To an extent, but frequency still nets improvements assuming there are not too many concessions to memory subsets.

Soldato
I'm hoping the current lowering of RAM prices (compared to circa 6 months ago) will continue on to the Zen2 launch, I'm debating buying the RAM now while it's fairly cheap in case it goes up in price. But until we know how well Zen2 performs with different memory speeds I could end up wasting money on higher than necessary RAM or end up not getting high enough if theres a linear progression in using faster ram.

Associate
This is all up in the air, with the Ryzen 3000 news, that it could use 5000Mhz speeds.
I doubt that just could work, but the prices of ram might easily change. Up or Down.

Soldato
To an extent, but frequency still nets improvements assuming there are not too many concessions to memory subsets.

True and that's why i said it would need some testing and tried to be a little circumspect in my wording, is the extra 1-2ns reduction in latency and 1k odd MB/s throughput on the RAM worth a reduction in IF latency and bandwidth, I'd guess not but like i said we'd need to see some real world testing to find out.

Soldato
The thing I want from Zen 2 is more PCIe lanes, I need fast storage for the work I do and I cannot use my X1800 PC as it does not have the lanes. I could go Threadripper but the new Zen 2 Threadripper will not be out for some time, that said the 1950 has come down in price so its tempting.
If the desktop Zen 2 Has PCIe 4 to the chipset it could be OK, but if its just to the GPU then it will be just like Zen. Hopefully it will have at least 32 gen 3 lanes and be able to have 2+ PCIe 4x drives that run at full speed. The lack of lanes must be holding sales of m.2 SSD's back as most PC's can only have one. My Intel PC is starting to feel slow, every security patch seem to hammer IO performance:(

Soldato
Problem with that is they've added a 1/2 divider so it's possible you could end up with lower performance as IF would only be running at 1250Mhz instead of the 1500Mhz+ from using 1/1 on 3000Mhz+ RAM, added to that would be the extra latency involved when data crosses a clock domain.

That's really going to need some testing to find out if super-fast, and super expensive, RAM is worth the investment.
Yep, 1600 MT/s IF with 3200 MT/s DDR4 might end up faster than 1000 MT/s IF with 4000 MT/s DDR4, for example. 2000 MT/s IF with 4000 MT/s DDR4 would be better than both but we don't know if IF or DDR controller can handle those speeds yet. I'm sure the benchmarkers are going to have a field day. :)

Soldato
What's the point in buying the memory two months before the motherboard and CPU? Are you worried your wife will spend the money on shoes instead?

Or are you predicting that memory prices will shoot up?

Possible, who knows :) I buy now, if it goes up I'm good, it goes down I buy more ;) It's the only real variable, the motherboards and CPU will be what they will be. I'll buy on release as I get the feeling these will be very popular items.

Associate
Still lots of questions but... well its not looking good for team blue.
4.7 or so all core overclocks on the 16 core would be utterly stupid, let alone higher.

This is prob the biggest shake up in cpu design we have seeing since multi core cpu's came out, before that the 64 bit revolution.. now who was behind those two jumps in tech again...???

Back
Top Bottom