DELETED_5873

Soldato
I've had to compromise quite a bit in order to keep a pitched roof at or above 15 degrees, according to the structural engineer larger Velux windows would have required 8" rafters instead of 6". The issue is I don't have the height under the upstairs windows to raise the roof 2" and didn't wish dropping the front 2" either. To lower the whole structure would mean either a step down into the kitchen which the Mrs ruled out or replacement of all existing floors which wasn't viable whilst living in the property with a toddler and a pregnant woman, who btw delivered addition 2 last night a 8 pound 6 baby boy so work is definitely going to slow down now
Congrats on the new addition good luck with the building work and a new born!

Could you not have had one or two more windows of the same size?

Associate
Price aside what stopped you going for a flat roof with sky lantern? Eventually i'll be extending our house but not sure i could deal with a pitched roof unless forced by planning of course.

Soldato
its definitely hard going with a new born.
I started our semi-loft conversion in April 2017, daughter 2 born end of June, I finished it just in time for christmas, like you I was working evenings and weekends.

Its nice to have trades come in and do things though, they work so much faster than I do with no trade background whatsoever.
truss alterations done inside a week (3 visits), wiring done in probably a day tops (3 visits)
Velux fitted in a day, plastering done in 2 visits.

Associate
Price aside what stopped you going for a flat roof with sky lantern? Eventually i'll be extending our house but not sure i could deal with a pitched roof unless forced by planning of course.
My brother had his kitchen extended 4 years ago (8m x 10m) , with a flat roof and large sky lantern. Its like a chimney for heat, it sucks all of the heat out of the room. Even with underfloor heating you can feel it rising away from you into the lantern. They have a log-burner as well in the corner and the only time it seems to get warm is when both are on. When we extended our kitchen last year 10m x 3m we went for a pitched roof and I dont regret it at all. Even in winter it doesnt need that much heating on, with 2 traditional rads and 3m of bifolds. We did pay for Saint Gobain Solar Control - Cool-Lite SKN 176 II Glass, which has a U-Value of 1.0 and a g-value of 0.37. I would recommend using the most thermally efficient glass you can afford, especially for Velux windows and bifolds as they are your largest individual heat sinks, especially with modern building fabric construction.

Soldato
Just read the thread. Great work pal, fantastic workmanship. Credit to you doing all this with a newborn. Mrs will be happy when it's all done. Keep going!

Back
Top Bottom