Danny Baker sacked

Soldato
There’s not more to the story, it’s as simple as the BBC couldn’t be seen to keep him on after what he posted, there would be petitions for him to be sacked.

And I’m sorry, but I can’t believe anyone can look at Meghan and say she is white.

Looks white to me, Stormzy is black, Obama is black - Merkel looks white. Shows what daft idea this binary black/white idea is. When I first read the reporting of his sacking I read the tweet and though that's a bit disrespectful of the royal family - but I didn't instantly think omg racist, because they don't look black to me. Now if it had been about the Obama's I'd have instantly thought "oh no he didn't!" but that's just me. If Merkel is so obviously black to you, you'd of course have a different reaction.

p.s. Chimpanzees are white!

Soldato
I have absolutely no idea how generally people wouldn't know she was mixed race, no, since it's been the major talking point ever since Harry and her got together.

Sure, there will be some people who really are unaware enough to not have picked up on this, but they will be the minority.

Man of Honour
Looks white to me, Stormzy is black, Obama is black - Merkel looks white. Shows what daft idea this binary black/white idea is. When I first read the reporting of his sacking I read the tweet and though that's a bit disrespectful of the royal family - but I didn't instantly think omg racist, because they don't look black to me. Now if it had been about the Obama's I'd have instantly thought "oh no he didn't!" but that's just me. If Merkel is so obviously black to you, you'd of course have a different reaction.

Pardon me Dave, either I’m dumber than I usually am, or you had an attack of the typos.
You say Merkel looks white, I immediately had a mental image of Mutti Angela, Germany’s Chancellor, emphatically white.
I’m guessing that you intended to put, Meghan looks white, please tell me that you did, and that I didn’t miss something.

Soldato
I get it, but I don't agree with it, we need to move on from stuff like this.

We have to move on from treating things differently in order to treat them equally? That's just utter nonsense.

Q: You have two dogs, one's 5kg and the other is 25kg. Do you feed them both the same amount of food in order to feed them equally?

Equality is not about, has never been about and never will be about treating everybody the same way. We're all different. We all have different needs and requirements.

Soldato
I have absolutely no idea how generally people wouldn't know she was mixed race, no, since it's been the major talking point ever since Harry and her got together.

Sure, there will be some people who really are unaware enough to not have picked up on this, but they will be the minority.

Danny Baker knew she is mixed race. It just didn't cross his mind (if you take his word for it) when he posted the pic.

Soldato

Because we have our own lives and things to think about so dont give a crap. Unlike others who go out of their way to notice these things then take offense at every little thing, and who are always looking for the deeper meaning or hints at racism or sexism or zionism or homophobia that just are not there and that 99% of people dont care about.

Soldato
Danny Baker knew she is mixed race. It just didn't cross his mind (if you take his word for it) when he posted the pic.

Honestly when I saw his tweet I didn’t twig straight away either, I just thought it was in reference to the royals making a circus out of the whole baby thing. Took me a moment, but that’s possibly because I don’t think in terms of race constantly, I dont’ really think about it at all. No doubt that’s a privilege according to some.. I’d call it being blind to race tbh.

I don’t think he intended it to be racist, but I can see where they are coming from. 100% not a sackable offence though as he’s got form for posting monkeys in fancy clothes going back years.. BBC over reacted as usual.

Don
Exactly. You are not racist, you dont notice or consider race in your everyday thought processes. Thats how it should be.

Those who notice are the true racists as i keep saying. They also in denial about that fact as is clear from responses here.
Indeed, said the same thing when they all kicked off about the kid in the fashion shoot in the jumper.

Dumb thing to do, but he does have form to doing the same thing for white royal kids.

Soldato
I couldn't give a tin whistle for the antics of the royal family but even I knew she was mixed race.

You may well know that, if you heard it somewhere before and were interested enough that you remembered it. But would you have looked at her cold and thought she was mixed race or gone out of your way to consider her facial features?

Soldato
Because we have our own lives and things to think about so dont give a crap.

It's also not about whether you give a crap or not to know, I have no interest in the Royals at all, had never even heard of Meghan before she started dating Harry, but couldn't help but read or overhear conversation about her being mixed race. On here, in the news, general chit chat etc, no needing to go out of your way to find out about it.

Unlike others who go out of their way to notice these things then take offense at every little thing, and who are always looking for the deeper meaning or hints at racism or sexism or zionism or homophobia that just are not there and that 99% of people dont care about.

It wasn't a comment about the intent of DB's actions, who did know her racial heritage, it was more in response to the comments about how would people even know. I acknowledge there will be people who don't, but it was just such general knowledge they would be the minority.

My comment was nothing to do about taking offense over anything.

Back
Top Bottom