BBC pulls HIGNFY with ½ hour's notice.

Soldato
You might think that if you don't live in one of the many small working class towns or poorer areas that saw a lot of immigration from the EU, I don't personally have much of an issue with EU immigration and haven't been personally affected, but a lot of people from these areas do and that's why he has so much support.

I do understand that, but the failings of our EU immigration policy fall squarely at the feet of successive UK governments, not due to our membership of the EU.

You're conflating science with political views... someone believing in a flat earth is just plain wrong, someone holding an opinion on Brexit one way or the other is expressing a political opinion. Someone expressing an opinion on Brexit might well make factually incorrect claims and those can of course be exposed but the political position of being for or against with respect to say the referendum question etc.. is one that requires balance. Belief in a flat earth on the other hand isn't something that requires balance.

You're right, I am. At this stage, I consider 'the benefits of Brexit' and flat earth to have about equal merit.

You say that the factually incorrect claims can be exposed, but as we've seen over the last few years, it doesn't seem to make any difference — people would prefer a convenient lie to a difficult truth.

So when the 'balance' is built on lies and hypocrisy, it ceases to be 'balanced'.

Yeah surprised Irish_Tom did that to be fair, I know people on the Remain side don't think leaving is a good idea but to compare it to "a flat-earther/anti-vaxxer/climate-change denier" is pretty silly. There are legitimate arguments on both sides.

I would say there are legitimate concerns on both sides, but I haven't seen many legitimate arguments for Brexit. Certainly none that couldn't be resolved domestically while remaining a member of the EU.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a Brexit thread — if you think I'm silly for equating Brexit with flat earth then I can accept that. :)

Caporegime
You're right, I am. At this stage, I consider 'the benefits of Brexit' and flat earth to have about equal merit.

You say that the factually incorrect claims can be exposed, but as we've seen over the last few years, it doesn't seem to make any difference — people would prefer a convenient lie to a difficult truth.

So when the 'balance' is built on lies and hypocrisy, it ceases to be 'balanced'.

That is up to voters... some people might vote for some option in spite of the fact others supporting the same option have told lies... I mean it is a binary choice, just because someone who is unpalatable or who has told lies supports one side isn't a reason to suddenly not support it especially if your reasons are not dependent on theirs.

You don't believe one side is a good idea - that's fine, but that is your personal opinion/politics and a not a good reason to want to shut down or not even want to hear from people supporting the other side.

The BBC is funded by the licence payers and is supposed to be politically neutral ergo you need to have both sides of a political debate.

Soldato
That is up to voters... some people might vote for some option in spite of the fact others supporting the same option have told lies... I mean it is a binary choice, just because someone who is unpalatable or who has told lies supports one side isn't a reason to suddenly not support it especially if your reasons are not dependent on theirs.

You don't believe one side is a good idea - that's fine, but that is your personal opinion/politics and a not a good reason to want to shut down or not even want to hear from people supporting the other side.

The BBC is funded by the licence payers and is supposed to be politically neutral ergo you need to have both sides of a political debate.

You are right, of course.

Note that I didn’t say I wish to ban Farage/Brexiteers from being represented (although I do believe that Farage has had more than his fair share of appearances).

I wouldn’t ban Flat Earthers either; usually exposing the stupidity is the best form of defence against it. Unfortunately Brexit seems immune.

Caporegime
What a stupid thing to say. That’s because there were people from different parties debating on Question Time, not one sole politician.

I’m getting so tired of people saying Farage should not be given airtime, he deserves as much as anyone else, he is the leader of a political party fighting in an upcoming election.

So are the Lib Dem’s who have actual MPs, not nearly as well represented over the years as farage has been.

Might as well just invite on ‘wants to rape people’ Carl of Swindon or tommy robber on, they do after all the same thing as farage. Why don’t they invite them on, **** I’d even watch it.

Caporegime
So are the Lib Dem’s who have actual MPs, not nearly as well represented over the years as farage has been.

Might as well just invite on ‘wants to rape people’ Carl of Swindon or tommy robber on, they do after all the same thing as farage. Why don’t they invite them on, **** I’d even watch it.
You’d watch Tommy Robinson? I didn’t know you was a fan of Tommy. Good on ya!

Soldato
I don't think it's even that now really. It is it's own mouthpiece and a legalised extortion racket that funds itself by bullying old ladies.

Soldato
And still the panel for QT was 2 to 3 in favour of Remain, and that was a good day for QT!

And by the way he was the only one spouting the truth on QT while Soubury was the one shouting nonsense and mis-quoting facts and bare faced lying live on air. The audience saw right through her
Farage spouting the truth? Are you on drugs?

Soldato
Yeah surprised Irish_Tom did that to be fair, I know people on the Remain side don't think leaving is a good idea but to compare it to "a flat-earther/anti-vaxxer/climate-change denier" is pretty silly. There are legitimate arguments on both sides.

If you look at the psychology of the belief in farage via his brexit party and flat earthers it is the same thing. Rather than being a rational skeptic who asks questions to further understand you see simply dismissal of any alternative views with outrage, criticism and denial. Farage has formed a party with no policies, no explanation of what he means by brexit, how it benefits the UK or how to practically implement it to benefit the UK. Yet many follow this and buy into it based on pure belief and a sense of belonging without any question or attempt to understand.

My view is remain or leave is irrelevant, the referendum showed how close things were and we simply need to choose the best deal for the UK. But I need to understand the deal and will not believe in a vague, undefined dream based on faith as this has been exploited by grifters and conmen since time began.

Soldato
If you look at the psychology of the belief in farage via his brexit party and flat earthers it is the same thing. Rather than being a rational skeptic who asks questions to further understand you see simply dismissal of any alternative views with outrage, criticism and denial. Farage has formed a party with no policies, no explanation of what he means by brexit, how it benefits the UK or how to practically implement it to benefit the UK. Yet many follow this and buy into it based on pure belief and a sense of belonging without any question or attempt to understand.

My view is remain or leave is irrelevant, the referendum showed how close things were and we simply need to choose the best deal for the UK. But I need to understand the deal and will not believe in a vague, undefined dream based on faith as this has been exploited by grifters and conmen since time began.

Could you tell me what your understanding of the EU was and how it was a good deal for the UK when we decided to join it? How will the EU be a good deal for the UK in 10 or 20 years?

Soldato
Could you tell me what your understanding of the EU was and how it was a good deal for the UK when we decided to join it? How will the EU be a good deal for the UK in 10 or 20 years?

What do the brexit party stand for and how they intend to achieve it so I can better understand in making my decision of who to vote for in the European elections. Could you explain it ?

Edit : Didn’t answer your questions

The EU came about when European countries realised that removing tarrifs did not produce the benefits they expected due to varying regulations, customs systems and standards. Thatcher and others realised that the solution to this was the current single market. This allows much freer trade that can be exploited and for example enables the UK manufacturing sector to be globally competitive. Without that the UK would be less competitive.

To your second question I have no idea. The same is true for UK politics. The only observation I can draw is before the post WWII changes that lead to the EU Europe was in constant warfare and conflict including various brutal military dictatorships. Since then nations regularly meet and work together in the EU rather than the previous conflicts. If you look at the Irish troubles by being in the EU , meeting on a regular basis and using what the EU provides single market etc. , the good Friday agreement was able to be put in place. This is true of various other agreements.

Last edited:
Soldato
Leave is a "fringe view"? It shouldn't be "legitimized"? I hope I'm misunderstanding you.

That was in response to Roar saying:

“There's also a distinct lack of mainstream Politicians who actually support Brexit, so if you want someone to oppose the Remain side you're not spoiled for choice.”

Obviously across the country leave isn’t a fringe view now, but I would argue that is only because it has been legitimised over recent years, in large part because of Farage and his lies being over-represented on-air…

*Edit* …and to similar extent, the failure of pro-EU politicians to successfully counter those lies and propaganda.

Associate
Who the **** cares about the Euro elections...

Good point you make, until about 1997 most people didn't. I mean it was just a trading block, right? Then after 1997 that all changed when people started noticing that it was not just a trading block.

If you think that HIGNFY is not a political show, ask yourself why do they invite politicians on?

Back
Top Bottom