• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Yeah the hype train is on full power but it does look like this time like it could all be for real.

How will AMD top this with zen 3 and 4? 3 will prob just be some tweaks but they will have to drop a bigger jump for 4 as intel might actually have a cpu worth using by then :p

Associate
Funny how those rubbishing us who did some napkin maths, are now nowhere to be seen. Amusingly the 4.4-4.5GHz prediction for the 3600 seems to be bang on the money which is pretty much the consensus that was drawn back in January/February.

That 12c is tasty, though I'm holding out for the 3850X. Should be a great gaming CPU for the next 3-4yrs.

Soldato
I'm not on the hype train myself. It would take an official and clear statement from AMD to get me aboard. That said I do have faith in Zen 2. Zen+ has been awesome for me personally and I would expect nothing less from the next gen. AMD are certainly trying to push the envelope to the best of their R&D budget. Gotta give them props for trying and so fare succeeding in the CPU space.

Caporegime
I'm not on the hype train myself. It would take an official and clear statement from AMD to get me aboard. That said I do have faith in Zen 2. Zen+ has been awesome for me personally and I would expect nothing less from the next gen. AMD are certainly trying to push the envelope to the best of their R&D budget. Gotta give them props for trying and so fare succeeding in the CPU space.

wise man. i think some are getting carried away. hope what we seeing is true the thoughts of a ipc matching intels current chips with upto 4.5ghz and 12 cores is very appealing for me. 5ghz and 12 would have me ejaculate :D especially if it matches the ipc. that would last 5 years easy.

Soldato
However exciting the Ryzen 3000 kit is shaping up to be, I really don't understand where all the confusion and negativity regarding Threadripper comes from. Even at 16c/32t Ryzen is a totally different animal to TR and just won't step on its toes, so I don't buy RGT's statement that AMD bods are "confused" about how to market Threadripper.

Permabanned
Yep, 1600 MT/s IF with 3200 MT/s DDR4 might end up faster than 1000 MT/s IF with 4000 MT/s DDR4, for example. 2000 MT/s IF with 4000 MT/s DDR4 would be better than both but we don't know if IF or DDR controller can handle those speeds yet. I'm sure the benchmarkers are going to have a field day. :)

Well, I wouldn't expect the 1/2 divider to appear with DDR4-4000, but with DDR4-5000.

Anyways, what's the point to support so high DDR4-5000 clocks if the overall performance will be lower than with DDR4-2500?

Associate
However exciting the Ryzen 3000 kit is shaping up to be, I really don't understand where all the confusion and negativity regarding Threadripper comes from. Even at 16c/32t Ryzen is a totally different animal to TR and just won't step on its toes, so I don't buy RGT's statement that AMD bods are "confused" about how to market Threadripper.
Well there will clearly be more of a cross-over for those that just want the extra cores.
Before you had AM4 up to 8C and TR2 up to 32C so even ignoring the platform differences that's a massive difference in cores.
AM4 at up to 16C cuts that difference in half and will mean some sales for the lower end TR2 chips will be lost to AM4.
Will that be a significant loss? Time will tell.
TR still looks a very keen platform and the 3rd generation even more so even at 32C.

Soldato
Well there will clearly be more of a cross-over for those that just want the extra cores.
Before you had AM4 up to 8C and TR2 up to 32C so even ignoring the platform differences that's a massive difference in cores.
AM4 at up to 16C cuts that difference in half and will mean some sales for the lower end TR2 chips will be lost to AM4.
TR still looks a very keen platform and the 3rd generation even more so even at 32C.

I think the difference will be made up by volume sales on the AM4 platform

Soldato
Very true, but so far most B-Die ram usually runs without issues.

This is a fantastic little tool to find them; a little database of known, and added B-Die dimms.

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

I like to check that, the motherboard compatibility list; and then my fav retailers.

Then again, considering current Ryzen support speed prior to OC'ing is 2933Mhz; I hope the 3000 series ups that again also. Each steps makes it easier, and easier for new, and novice builders to get buy ram and slap in without fiddling in the BIOS, or looking up kits.

How are you finding it? I've heard good things about its performance-audibility considering it's a stock cooler.

Makes me wonder if Ryzen 3000 will improve OC'ing; as at the moment XFR kind renders it moot; unless you can get a decent all core clock similar to the XFR peak.

nice site, I would prioritise the ns rating over mhz. But I expect 9.6ns you could probably get down to 8.8ns and 8.8ns get down to 8ns.

Soldato
Yet the 1700X didn't eat into sales of the 1900X despite having the same core count. Threadripper is a completely different platform. If you only need cores and dual channel RAM then the new 12 and 16 core Ryzens will mean you don't need to jump onto TR, but TR gives you significantly more RAM capacity, ECC support as standard, a boat load more PCIe lanes for true multi GPU setups, full-speed NVMe and other lane-heavy kit like 10Gb Ethernet. And Ryzen's top 16c/32t CPU is TR's entry level CPU, with 48c/96t being the top end (purely because a 64c/128t TR with ECC RAM is more likely to eat in EPYC sales then a 16c/32t Ryzen eating into TR).

Associate
Yet the 1700X didn't eat into sales of the 1900X despite having the same core count.. .
Which is a completely separate discussion. The context I have been discussing is people whose focus is on core count not the TR platform advantages.
Judging by the bargain bin pricing of the 1900X and the fact that they didn't update it I wonder how well it actually sells?
I doubt they release sales figures per chip.

Soldato
The IF divider is something that I mentioned before and hoped they’d implement. Should be interesting and I have a few sets of 4000MHz+ kits to play around with. Should be fun!

The whole AMD gains from increased IF frequency is true, to some extent. But it also improves generally due to the RAM alone as any other system does. It was just a case of a slight bottleneck with low MEMCLK before.

I had fun on Ryzen release playing around with the memory side of things with Asus’s CHVI and looks like I will again with the X570 variant :)

Back
Top Bottom