Road Cycling

Soldato
Hope the legs are good. It's the bike leg of the Cheshire Triathlon relay on Sunday for me, so the annual 12 miles in a very dark place (whilst waiting for somebody on a proper TT bike to whoosh past).

Good luck to you both, still my favourite ever loop. I'm doing Etape du Dales for a change this year though.

Thanks. I've got some mild saddle sores forming and my legs feel heavy and fatigued.:D Not sure doing 100 miles on Monday was a good tapering technique.:o

This year's Fred is 4mi further with an extra climb after Wrynose!

Soldato
anyone running a set of Giant slr1 carbon wheels?

if so what do you think of them?, seen a set for a decent price and can run them tubeless which i cannot do with my current mavics

What do you call a decent price? I have a set I'm planning to sell off my tcr, 30mm 2017 complete with schwalbe tubes and gp4000 s2. They have been faultless.

Soldato
Gents, I have having a nightmare finding a decent pair of bib shorts for a reasonable price, can't stretch to the price of Rapha or Assos.

I have tried the decathlon shorts, even on a 1hr ride my sit bones hurt, tried the dhb classics from wiggle - these were no better than the decathlon and I would say a thinner pad, I returned them, not sure what all the great reviews are for those but the pad is rubbish.

budget is under £100 if possible.

I have a great pad in my mountain bike undershorts but these aren't suited to road biking, poppers to connect to MTB trousers etc and I don't sit for hours on end on the mountain bike.

Any recommendations or am I doomed to forever have sore sit bones :( my commute is an hour each way (30km or so) and my current shorts are fine for that but anything longer is going to be an issue.

I'm tempted to get into Audax events (hilly 100km at the weekend to try it out - only reason I'm not doing the 200km is the pain in my sit bones) so a decent pair is going to be needed, maybe I should just stop being a tight ass and give some love to my behind...!

Doing audax I suppose I could just get a big brooks saddle and a beard and not worry about it...! ;)

What cream do you use before riding? Is your position quite upright as this can put more pressure on your rear? Have you been measured for saddle fit? What tyres and pressure? Have you tried adjusting the saddle position, and I don't just mean by trying to make it level from what it looks like via eyeline. If you stick a flat surface on top and use a spirit level, you'll be surprised as what you thought was level, isn't.

Front and rear? If so, well worth it. If the 42s are anything like the 30s though, getting on tyres with tubes can be a pita, in particular with velox tape. It's difficult enough once worn in, but new is bordering on silly to the point of wondering if your tyre lever will take it :D

yep for the set, reading one review they do state the tyres are hard to change, have some mavic UST tubeless tyres, would they be ok on the giant wheels?

replacing a set of mavic wts cosmics, they have a alloy rim with a carbon cover, never been too happy with them, if i am out of the saddle the front wheel can rub on the underneath of the forks, the set of ksyriums i was using before were fantastic though

Soldato
yep for the set, reading one review they do state the tyres are hard to change, have some mavic UST tubeless tyres, would they be ok on the giant wheels?

replacing a set of mavic wts cosmics, they have a alloy rim with a carbon cover, never been too happy with them, if i am out of the saddle the front wheel can rub on the underneath of the forks, the set of ksyriums i was using before were fantastic though

I'm not sure with tubeless tyres as I only ever used 4000 s2 on them. If they're the same wheel pattern bar the fact the new ones are just deeper, then it perhaps might be a slight issue. I'm pretty good with changing tyres quickly and in a way that avoids pinching, but they do take the pee no matter what you try. The first time I fitted new tyres, I actually thought I had a defective set they were so ridiculous to get on and I'm not just taking about some pressure with the hands and lifting the lever round. Some people would genuinely be in at a lbs and should they puncture, that could be it.

Soldato
I'm not sure with tubeless tyres as I only ever used 4000 s2 on them. If they're the same wheel pattern bar the fact the new ones are just deeper, then it perhaps might be a slight issue. I'm pretty good with changing tyres quickly and in a way that avoids pinching, but they do take the pee no matter what you try. The first time I fitted new tyres, I actually thought I had a defective set they were so ridiculous to get on and I'm not just taking about some pressure with the hands and lifting the lever round. Some people would genuinely be in at a lbs and should they puncture, that could be it.

Sounds like me today. American classic argent with a pro one that the guy punctured on Thursdays night.

Had to use pliers to get enough of a grip of the old tyre to break the beed. Once it's started it's fine but he would not have been able to put a tube in even if he wanted. New tyre and new sealant - hope he gets more than 250 miles this time.

Soldato
Sounds like me today. American classic argent with a pro one that the guy punctured on Thursdays night.

Had to use pliers to get enough of a grip of the old tyre to break the beed. Once it's started it's fine but he would not have been able to put a tube in even if he wanted. New tyre and new sealant - hope he gets more than 250 miles this time.

I think I'd cry only getting that mileage from a tyre :D

Soldato
Sooo 234 Road races are hard.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2362000604

Haven't uploaded to strava yet but finished in a group of 7 a few minutes behind main bunch, break of about 10 a few minutes infront of bunch. Bodies everywhere and another bigger bunch minutes behind my wee group.

202bpm at the top of the climb into a full on sprint down and along the next section, got back into middle of bunch to give a team mate a bottle as he lost his.

Bunch seemed to slow right up then lined out again into the next climb, guy infront of me lost the wheel and by the time I clocked it I didn't have the legs to get back to the bunch so sat up and got in the small group.

Shouting at each other to work harder and not mess about for the next lap. Was gonna knock a **** off his bike but bit my tongue. Got pipped on the line by another guy.

Glad to finish as I was going to just roll into the strip when passing on the first lap.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m alive! Got round in 7:07 including stops which is an hour faster that I had bargained for (6:39 with auto pause). Enjoyed it much more than I thought, it’s a great event and very well organised. Currently enjoying a free electrolyte replacement drink courtesy of the QEHB Charity. Might treat myself to another one in a moment!

Thank you for all the guidance. I might be inspired to do this all again!

How did everyone else get on?

Last edited:
Soldato
I did a 50 mile sportive today, Norfolk Spring Classic and it was pretty much perfect - rode with a mate and felt like another 50 miles was well within me so looking good for June when the 100 is hopefully getting crossed off!

All my Zwift work has defi paid off, new bike was a joy and with the right size I can finally see what all the fuss is about with Rapha bibs!

Congrats to all that have done the 100 today :)

Back
Top Bottom