TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
Are you planning to connect the TV to the internet? If not, you should be fine. I'll leave it to others as to smart TV hassle, as we have a license. :)

There seems to be no other option. I watch things on Netflix and Amazon. Currently I do this via my XBox but because my AVR doesn't have 4K pass-thru I'll be switching to directly connecting the TV to the Internet. I'd prefer not to, but pretty much inescapable these days.

You do not need a licence just because you have Iplayer installed. You only need a licence if you use Iplayer. Just make sure you do not log into Iplayer and your all good to go without a licence.

On most devices iplayer ask you to login with an email address and password also.

Well if you have to log in, then it's sorted. I just wont. I haven't used iPlayer since they added that little pop-up insisting you confirm you have a licence.

Thanks all.

Caporegime
I think I'm in the 4th cycle of letters at this address
The one where a date is circled cashew through last

I wish the letters weren't so repetitive. I used to get excited about which idle threat was being made!

Soldato
Follow up to a post a few months back. I registered as not needing a TV licence in January and other than receiving a confirmation email (I think, or letter), I've not heard a thing since.
TV aerials are all unplugged from the wall and I watch Netflix only.
Maybe I don't understand TV licencing fully but would be good if they moved to the current century and put the pay per view content(BBC channels) on an paid internet service (at least seperate in some way, could call it BBCflix) leaving the terrestrial aerial channels the free channels only. I watched mostly film 4 and a few other movies channels which as far as I know are wholly funded by advertising. Miss film 4 sometimes as it's nice to just put the TV on and watch anything.

Associate
If it's 'live' (ie simultaneously with what's being broadcast) then yes, in theory you do

Ah okay thanks, didn't know that - TV licensing has always been a bit weird in the U.K. I understand that their angle is they fund the cost of broadcast infrastructure - in the case of the internet, I have no idea how they get away with it.

Soldato
If it's 'live' (ie simultaneously with what's being broadcast) then yes, in theory you do

Even that is a bit of a grey area. You can watch live youtube channels and that doesn't need a licence. Some streaming sites buffer and re-broadcast channels, technically that isn't live.

Soldato
Even that is a bit of a grey area. You can watch live youtube channels and that doesn't need a licence.
They do their best to keep it confusing but as a rule of thumb, if its broadcast TV (whether you're receiving via radio waves or internet or cable), you're probably meant to have a license. If it's not 'broadcast TV' you're probably not but they'll tell you that you are as soon as you mention the word live.

Soldato
If they are labelling it as "broadcast" then it cannot include anything on the internet, because you can't broadcast over the internet.

The problem is the BBC is still stuck in the 1900s. Their policies and way of thinking.

Soldato
If they are labelling it as "broadcast" then it cannot include anything on the internet because you can't broadcast something over the internet.

The problem is the BBC is still stuck in the 1900s. Their policies and way of thinking.
That's not how they define it, that's how I've described it as a rule of thumb.

Soldato
That's not how they define it, that's how I've described it as a rule of thumb.

But if they are technically wrong then they have no case.

I've not heard of anyone actually getting done for watching TV over the internet anyway. Probably way too difficult (and expensive) to pin on someone. It often is with digital stuff.

Soldato
But if they are technically wrong then they have no case. I've not heard of anyone actually getting done for watching TV over the internet.
I don't think you could build much of a case for them being technically wrong, based on the way I decided to word my own rule of thumb :p

You'd have to be exceptionally stupid to get done for not having a TV licence however you watch TV, it virtually requires self incrimination or being seen through your window.

Back
Top Bottom