Do you take your laptop on holiday

Associate
I don't know why so many seem to have a problem with that...

Fair point. It is your decision.

For anyone else reading this thread; as someone who travels to all corners of the world on pretty much a weekly basis I can assure you that I or any of my colleagues in a similar position have never been asked to unlock or even turn on any of the devices we take with us. Likewise I have never heard of someone stealing something from airport security.

Likewise thefts from hotel rooms do happen and safes are a good idea. Failing that use common sense like putting stuff back in your suitcase that needs to be secured and use the suitcase lock. Most hotel room thefts are from plain sight.

Soldato
For anyone else reading this thread; as someone who travels to all corners of the world on pretty much a weekly basis I can assure you that I or any of my colleagues in a similar position have never been asked to unlock or even turn on any of the devices we take with us. Likewise I have never heard of someone stealing something from airport security.

I also travel a lot - and access to my laptop & phone has happened once. Brisbane, Australia. Made me unlock my phone and power up my laptop. Only looked at my photos on my phone and on my Macbook Pro. Made a point of showing me that's what they were doing. Was a bit odd tbh. If you ever get marked 'T20' on your landing card then brace yourself.

It has made me more concerned about stuff when I travel, but not to a stupid degree I don't think. I don't get the argument of 'having nothing to hide' making it irrelevant. I still care about free-speech even when I have nothing to say.

Associate
Always! I love taking photos so I need to empty my memory card a fair bit and sometimes do more fiddly edits that I can't do on my phone. Plus we use it to plan what we're going to do as we always discover new things when we arrive at a place and want to check them out properly.

I'd never take it to do actual work though!

Soldato
May as well just leave your passport and spare money on the desk while out for the day then.
I don't know what hotels you have stayed in bit i always leave my stuff around the room.
Only passport and bulk of my money go in the safe things like camera the days money, tablet, Kindle all get left on the table.

Caporegime
I used to bring my MacBook on trains and planes simply for watching movies (would prefer to have my own selection and own headphones etc..), now I just use a tablet for that and tend to have stuff downloaded on the Netflix or Amazon prime apps.

The laptop is useful though if bringing a DSLR with me and I guess I'd bring it too if the holiday involves visiting and staying at a relative's house in the UK - rather different to say going somewhere new where you'd perhaps be out exploring/dining etc.. in the evening.

Man of Honour
I don't know what hotels you have stayed in bit i always leave my stuff around the room.
Only passport and bulk of my money go in the safe things like camera the days money, tablet, Kindle all get left on the table.
Why do hotels provide a safe?

Back
Top Bottom