Get Scratch out of polished aluminium trim

Soldato
So my better half has caused big scratch on my Model S's aluminium trim. The scratch isn't very deep but causing havoc on my OCD.

Anyone got any advise on how to best get out a light scratch?

z96Agxz.jpg

oovXGzk_d.jpg

Last edited:
Sgarrista
Commissario
Can you remove it? If not youre bang outta luck as any method of smoothing it out will change the texture (noticeably, aluminum is an absolute pain to work with) and make it look even worse.

Man of Honour
Not an expert but I'd imagine any attempt to polish that out, etc. is going to leave a mark - could try some touchup paint or something but probably to get a good result you'd have to use some kind of filler and repolish/paint the entire visible surface.

Associate
The trim piece needs to be replaced.
Nothing else will work unless you have machinery that can produce the same finish.

It might be that careful use of a silver or grey Sharpie type pen makes it less noticeable.

Man of Honour
Well £100 isn't as bad as I would have expected. I'd give them the money.

Any method of trying to get that scratch out will probably involve you have to get the entire piece re-finished.

Soldato
Why not just polish the whole piece so it's the same finish, or are there other bits nearby? I've never understood what's so hard to do with a brushed finish, there must be some kind of drill attachment.

Back
Top Bottom