Be a good sport..

Man of Honour
I read this today ..

Cesc Fabregas angers Arsenal and Chelsea fans with his comments about Tottenham’s comeback against Ajax

Why can't another player compliment another club, even if it's a rival? Some of the comments from other players on social media are quite shocking.

I recall the night that Arsenal won the league in the dying seconds in 1989 with great admiration and whilst Chelsea knocked Spurs out of the CL qualifying place by winning the damn thing, I couldn't help but admire their audacity. What Sol Campbell done to us was unforgivable but he was part of a team that achieved so much as the time.

It's great to have that rivalry. My son's a Arsenal supporter and breaks a long chain of Spurs supporters. I don't mind, it adds to the excitement and even he said it was amazing. We love to see teams fail as much as we do succeed but sometimes, you have to give credit where credit is due?

Caporegime
Petty behaviour, nothing more. I saw a number of Liverpool hating (including myself :p) fans come out and say what a great job they had done this week/happy for them on this forum and across the internet.

Do these people have nothing else going on in their lives than to get angry at Cesc praising a performance that needs praising?

People are so salty.

Don
I think it's mostly a pride thing. I'm sure the vast majority of football supporters, at least when they're no longer in the heat of the moment, will begrudgingly respect the achievements of a rival but pride often means that they don't show it publicly.

Neville Southall ****ed off a load of Everton supporters on twitter when he congratulated Liverpool. There'll be a small section of Evertonians (or Gooners in Spurs' case) that have a deep rooted hatred of Liverpool and will look for every excuse to devalue what they've achieved but the vast majority will acknowledge what we done the other night even if they don't like to say it.

Soldato
I think it's great to see both European cup finals with an all English lineup

There'll be a small section of Evertonians (or Gooners in Spurs' case) that have a deep rooted hatred of Liverpool and will look for every excuse to devalue what they've achieved but the vast majority will acknowledge what we done the other night even if they don't like to say it.

That hatred is justified due to Heysel and the 5 year European ban which really screwed Everton over missing out on 3 European cups through no fault of their own, prior to that Liverpool & Everton fans got on very well

Don
That hatred is justified due to Heysel and the 5 year European ban which really screwed Everton over missing out on 3 European cups through no fault of their own, prior to that Liverpool & Everton fans got on very well

The suggestion that Everton would have won 3 European cups is laughable as is the idea that the bitterness towards Liverpool has anything to do with that either. Everton and Liverpool supporters got on well after Heysel as shown by way supporters were durin both the '86 and '89 Cup finals. It's only been in the last 10-15 years that the 'friendly derby' tag has gone out the window and the modern day twitter fan using things like that as an excuse/to scorep points.

Soldato
The suggestion that Everton would have won 3 European cups is laughable

I didn't say "missing out on winning 3 European cups"

I said "missing out on 3 European cups"

There is a difference

The hatred started slowly seeping in at the end of the 80's into the 90's as the team declined and Heysel is one of the excuses what they use to blame for that decline, a lot of it is unwarranted jealously too though

Don
I didn't say "missing out on winning 3 European cups"

I said "missing out on 3 European cups"

There is a difference

The hatred started slowly seeping in at the end of the 80's into the 90's as the team declined and Heysel is one of the excuses what they use to blame for that decline, a lot of it is unwarranted jealously too though
So you meant "missing out on playing in 3 European Cups" or else it reads as if you would have won them. In the same way I'd say City missed out on the European Cup this year - they were in it but didn't win it. Anyway that's a minor detail, as is the fact that Everton would have only qualified twice, not 3 times.

Hysel is a stick used by those real bitter blues, most of whom weren't even born in the 80s let alone have any idea of what went on. The older generation Everton fans (and vice versa with Liverpool fans too) who were around then are typically fairly supportive of Liverpool and were at Wembley in the late 80's chanting merseyside together - Neville Southall's comments probably show that. It's not specific to Everton either and you'll often see younger Liverpool fans chant Steau Bucharest at Everton fans to taunt them but not the fans from back then. Football's changed over the years and it would seem like the greater coverage football gets and the invention of twitter has caused the growth of a really nasty element of football fans at every club.

Caporegime
There's just a growing lack of tolerance in todays society where if someone voices anything that doesn't reflect the views of others then they're to be treated with contempt. I see it as kind of attack on individualism.

Caporegime
Do unto others as you would have done to you

If you think for one minute Spurs fans would give any Arsenal any kind of respect or congratulations for anything, then you are mistaken. Therefore, why should I do the same for them.

Caporegime

If you think for one minute Spurs fans would give any Arsenal any kind of respect or congratulations for anything, then you are mistaken. Therefore, why should I do the same for them.

You realise you got the saying's meaning completely turned on it's behind? It's treat others as you wish to be treated, not treat people the way you think others will treat you.

Just because other people are hateful and spiteful doesn't mean you must be and if everyone is hateful because they assume everyone else will be... well, that's kind of where the world is going these days. I want to be other teams when Arsenal play them but when I watch other teams I want to watch good football, nothing else. There are players who properly **** me off and if a club builds around such players I'll generally dislike and enjoy seeing them get beaten. A bunch of Utd players fit that role, some Pool players, Suarez is one of if not the biggest **** in football and I couldn't stand Liverpool while he was there. Under Klopp playing attacking football, Liverpool are great to watch. That's all that matters to me. Hatred because people around you say you should hate someone but without and actual reason for it... meh.

I would have been just as happy if Ajax came back and performed the way Spurs did. Anyone watching moura and focusing on hatred of Spurs rather than enjoying the football is generally an idiot. I also felt terrible for Ajax because they also played plenty of amazing football through the tournament. Without the comeback and that second half performance I wouldn't have felt as badly for Spurs because they wouldn't have deserved it while Ajax did play well enough for enough of the tie such that if they won it wouldn't have been undeserved.

Soldato

I actually have a lot of respect for Arsenal and I hope you win the Europa... like Spurs and Liverpool you play entertaining football and good to watch, most of the time :p

Also, you have have been one of the biggest clubs in England and done it being a well run club and managed to build your own stadium.

It's the Man City, Chelsea, PSG's of this world I think devalue everything, why anyone would want those type's of clubs to win cups is beyond me.

Caporegime
I actually have a lot of respect for Arsenal and I hope you win the Europa... like Spurs and Liverpool you play entertaining football and good to watch, most of the time :p

Also, you have have been one of the biggest clubs in England and done it being a well run club and managed to build your own stadium.

It's the Man City, Chelsea, PSG's of this world I think devalue everything, why anyone would want those type's of clubs to win cups is beyond me.
Thank you, that’s a very nice sentiment. I’m also proud of the way we have always been a self sufficient club, but very successful with it.

Man of Honour
OP

.. but I have.. reluctantly.

Was funny that both Everton and Spurs fans signing "Spurs for the cup" yesterday.. I like playing the non-London clubs, there's always a more relaxed atmosphere around and you can chat to the opposing fans.

Back
Top Bottom