Epic Games Store now open!

Soldato
Umm, yes people are 'butthurt'..... And yes, its about the launcher.....

Try to think how much you care that they care, and that's how much they care that you don't care.

And its fine to criticise something without going out and producing something yourself, that's always such a ridiculous argument. You can be a film critic without making amazing films, you can criticise Tesco without going out and setting up a multi million pound grocery business.

You really need to brush up on your reading comprehension.

lol indeed, stupidity and arrogance personified.

About par for gamers. People can explain their reasonings but for nought. Just look at people when they talked about how microtransactions would start affecting games in potentially negative ways and they got attacked for saying this(JS was one of them). Now governments are getting involved.

Best to let them be. You will only annoy yourself.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes it's one thing I really miss playing mostly on PC now, my PlayStation trophies! I find they encourage you to play more of the game than I typically would, which can only be a good thing, getting your money's worth.

Agree , its just a little something for you to aim for and keep playing, it helps gets your moneys worth out of a game, I know some say, oh its just stupid, no need for them but I bet most like getting those little trinkets, I do. : - )

Soldato
Agree , its just a little something for you to aim for and keep playing, it helps gets your moneys worth out of a game, I know some say, oh its just stupid, no need for them but I bet most like getting those little trinkets, I do. : - )

Me too... although I will admit just "having/displaying" them is satisfying to me in some small way... as you say it's mostly good for encouraging different ways of playing and getting more value. In some cases an achievement that sounds like a fun and unique challenge has practically gifted me with an entire extra playthrough I wouldn't have done otherwise (to pick an obvious example, carrying the gnome the whole way through HL2 ep.II, which ended up being a lot of fun!) It's always a balance though as I've met some people who obsess a bit too much over getting 100% achievements in games before moving on, and in some cases achievements can just be extra grind which I just don't have time for

Man of Honour
The best example of Achievements imo, are the ones in the Uplay games because many of those give you Uplay points which you can then use to get 20% off the price of the next game you buy. That's what I call useful achievements :D

Soldato
The best example of Achievements imo, are the ones in the Uplay games because many of those give you Uplay points which you can then use to get 20% off the price of the next game you buy. That's what I call useful achievements :D

Absolutely - what a great innovative idea to add to your launcher/platform to give it something that goes above and beyond what Steam were doing... it's almost as if it's... competition?! How long and how difficult would something like that be to implement? Not difficult at all... and then here we have Epic who can't even be bothered to implement achievements in any form

Soldato
Absolutely - what a great innovative idea to add to your launcher/platform to give it something that goes above and beyond what Steam were doing... it's almost as if it's... competition?! How long and how difficult would something like that be to implement? Not difficult at all... and then here we have Epic who can't even be bothered to implement achievements in any form

This is actually a good an argument as any, if you want to be competitive and consumer friendly, then do just this, it sums up the epic launcher in one sentence, its not for the consumer , Epic Launcher is not consumer friendly at all. Say what you will about all the other launchers, they all have their own little rewards to keep you wanting to use them

uplay points earned by playing games
MS store rewards by buying games
Steam has trading cards, many sell them to go towards game purchases
Origin has EA Access - small price for a decent bundle of games
GOG is all DRM free

And then we have Epic - absolutely nothing at all other then some free games, most wouldn't play but grab as they are free right, when the free games stop see how many bother do download the launcher then eh?

Im sure I'll be wrong with this post somewhere to some, but it does feel Epic launcher offers absolutely nothing of worth. Whereas all the others do

Soldato
What consoles did at one point but the idea got abandoned was to give you a theme for the game when you got 100% achievements/trophies, this was in the ps3/360 era.

Steam could do similar with their collectables stuff.

But the main reasons I like achievements are.

1 - People checking my profile can see what I have done in a game.
2 - It often pushes you further than just doing the minimal to beat the game as many tend to get tied to optional content. I find it amusing when the types of garners who just rush a game complain that they cannot get 100% by doing so, it separates the completionists from the rushers and I love it.

Soldato

They also give you uplay credits as well so can buy stuff in game, a form of DLC but paid for by earning achievements. The stuff that you buy "cannot" be paid for with normal money as well.

Associate
I suppose you could try turning 2FA off and then back on again during the sale if you don't get the dosh right off the bat.
This has worked on humble store before for giveaways, sign up for the newsletter to get the game, oh you're already signed up. Unsub, sign up again and here's the game. Don't think it lasted long tbh as I think I only had to do it the once.

Edit:
That tweet is literally all we know. It would be a big kick to the nads of people who've already have 2FA/outside the US if they don't get the $10 too, but considering how they handled the price of Metro, I wouldn't put it past them.

I'd hope everyone was signed up for 2FA tbh, Epic is the only store where I've been 'forced' to use 2FA because of the amount of times I had people trying to get into my account. My junkmail was literally filled with notifications of sign in attempts.

Man of Honour
I'd hope everyone was signed up for 2FA tbh, Epic is the only store where I've been 'forced' to use 2FA because of the amount of times I had people trying to get into my account. My junkmail was literally filled with notifications of sign in attempts.

That's BattleNet for me, people spent years trying to get into my battlenet account

Caporegime
They just bought me

They are offering a £10 discount through their store to any game over £13.99

That makes the new John Wick: Hex game £4.39. SOLD!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-05-16-epic-launches-its-own-version-of-the-steam-summer-sale

Observation for £7.99 instead of £17.99 is tempting as well, that's out next week and the previews made it sound interesting.

Edit - They didn't really buy me as I already had the Epic Launcher and pre-ordered Borderlands 3 via CD Keys which is an Epic Launcher key.

Back
Top Bottom