Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
To be fair, good points;

Cleganebowl wasn’t disappointing.
Cersei’s arc wasn’t ruined, fate was deserved.
Qyburn got frankensteined.
No magical teleportation.
Minutia of the wildfire being exploded as fires erupt around the city was excellent (implying a plot by Cersei/Qyburn to blow the city up or simply ‘forgotten about’), if only it wasn’t marred by the reason for it.

However the railroading to this point where deus ex machina and Mary Sues flying all over the place to suit the poorly laid story, ruins the rest of it. The reasoning behind her becoming unstable and irate was far too subtle/ignored completely to fit into 6 episodes, really needed more political intrigue involved.

With this episode, if you can just sort of ignore the **** surrounding ballistas and invincible drogon, it’s ‘ok’, but it’s not really possible to ignore it, as it becomes the reason so much other pointless **** happens.

Man of Honour
Whole thing has been too rushed, they should have had a longer final season. The night king disposed of too fast, Cersei beaten and killed in the comparative blink of an eye. The much vaunted Golden Company bested in minutes. Whole season has been too forced and too rushed, I suspect that D&D have caused some damage to the eventual legacy of the Game of Thrones tv series with this final season

Man of Honour
Jaime: I never cared about the innocent.

Also Jaime: Tell me, if your precious Renly commanded you to kill your own father and stand by while thousands of men women and children were burned alive, would you have done it? Would you have kept your oath then?

This sums up how it's been for me. Pretty much no character has been true to their narrative. They simply forgot everything when writing this, or didn't have anyone proofreading it. Either we completely write off S1-7 and just have S8 as it is, or we write off S8 and have the series ending with the dead breaching the wall. The latter seems infinitely better.

Soldato
I thought it was brilliant \o/

Poor toasty peeps tho :(

And I was completely wrong about Danny. Mad as a hatter!

I thought it was brilliant too...I don't understand how people think the turn is so abrupt, it's been coming. What she's seen and done from Season 1 she's essentially turned into Khal Drogo, a conquerer.

It totally caught me off guard when she started to "burn them all" like her father wanted to. I expected her to go straight for the Red Keep and Cersei, it was great. Oh the humanity, was brutal.

Cersei going the way she went was also great I thought, from a position of power and confidence to feeling utterly utterly helpless and full of fear.

I can't wait for next week, it does seem pretty much set up for Arya to become the Royalty Slayer but the dynamics will be intense for sure around John and Dany.

Caporegime
I thought it was brilliant too...I don't understand how people think the turn is so abrupt, it's been coming. What she's seen and done from Season 1 she's essentially turned into Khal Drogo, a conquerer.

It totally caught me off guard when she started to "burn them all" like her father wanted to. I expected her to go straight for the Red Keep and Cersei, it was great. Oh the humanity, was brutal.

Cersei going the way she went was also great I thought, from a position of power and confidence to feeling utterly utterly helpless and full of fear.

I can't wait for next week, it does seem pretty much set up for Arya to become the Royalty Slayer but the dynamics will be intense for sure around John and Dany.

Because there’s no build up to it, or if there is it’s fundamentally flawed without concise consistent context.

There’s a few things in the books that make it far more believable, the show has done it in a very ****** way. If the railroading wasn’t so visible, this episode would be totally fine, the problem is the last 4 has been pointless.

Soldato
Because there’s no build up to it, or if there is it’s fundamentally flawed without concise consistent context.

There’s a few things in the books that make it far more believable, the show has done it in a very ****** way. If the railroading wasn’t so visible, this episode would be totally fine, the problem is the last 4 has been pointless.

You know I've probably benefited from watching all 7 seasons again over the few weeks before this one kicked off though so a lot of what's happened over time is fresh in my head.

I do think that this season probably has needed more time, that certainly would have helped with this.

Soldato
I also enjoyed it though it does seem Daenerys went full on mental quite quickly. I am struggling with her wiping out the peasants, the type of people she's spent her GoT life freeing, considering what she's been saying since she started freeing oppressed people. Hopefully Arya will add her face to her collection.

Man of Honour

They’ve been talking her down from storming KL with the dragons for some time. Also, see her rant in series 2 when she doesn’t get let in to Quaarth - deffo hot headed.

Having been ‘rejected by her advisors and lover’ and resenting that being noble has done nothing for her... with no-one to cool her temper wrath is her only weapon.

She did truly go for it though - dayyymn! :eek: :(

Soldato
I really enjoyed that episode. Yes things have progress quickly but I don’t agree with people that characters haven’t remained true to themselves. Dany has always been impulsive when it comes to revenge and showed signs of being a mad Targaryen. The fact Cersei and by extension Kings Landing has been the cause of the loss of one of ‘children’ and one of her closest advisors/friends. I don’t consider it much of a stretch that she would want to see it all burn.

The same for Jamie too, he has always chosen Cersei over everything. Yes he chose to protect innocent over his oath but now the choice came to innocent or Cersei. By his character arc he was always going to pick Cersei.

Also Cleganebowl - what an ending to both of them.

I had thought Arya was going to kill Cersei but after that ending maybe she will kill Dany.

Soldato
My first reaction was - "erm so the Dothraki weren't all wiped out like previously suggested?!". Qyburn deserved a better way to go out then that. Hound and Arya's final moments were quite touching and probably the best part of that episode. The writers turning Drogon into an 'IDKFA' fire machine, when he previously couldn't spit for trout whilst fending off wights outside Winterfell was too OTT and I find it hard to believe that every scorpion was there just to be blown away. Found it all a bit daft.

What puzzled me was what was the point of Wildfire exploding? The city was already alight and crumbling and then we see minor wildfire explosions - I must have missed this being included in the defence of KL.

What colour eyes are Dany's?

Soldato
I enjoyed the episode, it was entertaining but fails in so many other ways - dany going mental and burning surrendering soldiers is one thing - murdering thousands of innocents inc women and children is lazy..... Zero buildup and convenient madness considering everything shes sacrificed to get this far. Yes, she has had a few things go against her, but it all pivots on not her being immediately loved? Come on.

Re Wildfire, I can only guess it was trap to burn any invading forces minus air support?

Soldato
I enjoyed the episode, it was entertaining but fails in so many other ways - dany going mental and burning surrendering soldiers is one thing - murdering thousands of innocents inc women and children is lazy..... Zero buildup and convenient madness considering everything shes sacrificed to get this far. Yes, she has had a few things go against her, but it all pivots on not her being immediately loved? Come on.

Re Wildfire, I can only guess it was trap to burn any invading forces minus air support?

I think it has happened quickly and that is the result of the limited episode / season count. However Dany has talked about wanting to burn Kings Landing down previously. I don't think she was so set on killing innocents but wanted to burn the whole city. Tyrion and Varys have previously tempered Dany's more vengeful and impulsive side and got her to choose a different course of action. So Dany on a Dragon, alone, in the (literal) heat of battle - I don't think it is lazy writing for her to do what she has been wanting to do for several episodes (arguably even seasons).

Edit: Derpy typo's

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Its my own fault really, the leaks were spot on with that episode which makes it entirely likely that the final episode leaks are also accurate and unfortunately because I read them and the person who ends up on the throne irritates me so much, irritates me so very very much, its spoilt my enjoyment. Quite literally spoilers I guess.

Soldato
Leaks were spot on unfortunately. However that is the first episode of the season that I actually really enjoyed. I really hope Arya kills Dany now.

Back
Top Bottom