This Business and Moment...

Soldato
Nearing my CompTIA Security+ course with the test next month. Have caked up my LinkedIn profile but need to revisit the CV as I haven't updated it since uni. Any quick guides/tips on doing CVs?

Keep it to one page. Customise it for every application. Has to be visually scanned in about 5 secs. So the keyword for that application has to stand out.

Soldato
How you finding it? As I am currently studying Security+.
So far, so good. Coming from an IT background definitely helps. I did plan on doing the Network+ first but wasn't available when I was looking so went ahead with Security+.
Hopefully it's enough to put my foot into a Network security role.

Soldato
Handed in my notice last Friday, I was hoping for an early release going to a competitor, no such luck. 3 months is a long time!

As a headhunter, I see ranging notice periods - a recent placement has a 5 month notice... which they're not making him work. So 5 months out, paid, on the beach!

How long were you at your last employer for?

Soldato
So far, so good. Coming from an IT background definitely helps. I did plan on doing the Network+ first but wasn't available when I was looking so went ahead with Security+.
Hopefully it's enough to put my foot into a Network security role.

Probably the best route as Security+ should get you into a role easier. Can leave N+ unless you really need to do it. I skipped N+ and went straight into Security+, hopefully I book the exam in a few months.

Man of Honour
Couldn't stand my last place so I didn't renew my contract. It wasn't VMware, it was the end customer.

Anyone looking for a VMware/Infra consultant/engineer on a contract basis? Remote working ideally but willing to stay away in the week.

Soldato
OP
My wife and I were chatting and I was like, there totally needs to be a vivino for cheese and she was like jesus **** Ross, no. I was like, ****, I can't get it out my head now, so me and my son sat and designed it all and put it all together hahaha

Associate
Just need to vent a bit. A year ago I was seriously thinking about leaving my job due to the fact I was doing 90% of the work whilst my colleague sat looking at his phone or claimed to be doing emails or having tantrums and throwing things around. I spoke to the MD about his behavior which went nowhere. Then a new manager started who was in overall charge of the department who told me not to worry as he was my boss not the lazy colleague.

On Friday everything came to a head and the colleague stormed out after both myself and boss told him to fo, so today we have the investigation as we both sent emails. The MD has decided lazy is my line manager and our department head will be based outside our work area. I refused to accept lazy as line manager as he is incompetent and emotionally unstable, and that for my perspective he should be dismissed for his behaviour on Friday and numerous other occasions.

So I'm on a job hunt I suppose. Maybe I should look at retraining as my old filmmaking degree does not open any doors and I am too old for grad schemes.

Soldato
Just need to vent a bit. A year ago I was seriously thinking about leaving my job due to the fact I was doing 90% of the work whilst my colleague sat looking at his phone or claimed to be doing emails or having tantrums and throwing things around. I spoke to the MD about his behavior which went nowhere. Then a new manager started who was in overall charge of the department who told me not to worry as he was my boss not the lazy colleague.

On Friday everything came to a head and the colleague stormed out after both myself and boss told him to fo, so today we have the investigation as we both sent emails. The MD has decided lazy is my line manager and our department head will be based outside our work area. I refused to accept lazy as line manager as he is incompetent and emotionally unstable, and that for my perspective he should be dismissed for his behaviour on Friday and numerous other occasions.

So I'm on a job hunt I suppose. Maybe I should look at retraining as my old filmmaking degree does not open any doors and I am too old for grad schemes.

What's your current job now?

Associate
I'm in lighting tech support, moving lights control etc for a big manufacturer. Workshop based. I am looking at my options as it is a dead end job for the most part.

Man of Honour
It's frustrating when you have a phone interview and they basically say there's no point in asking any tech questions as your CV speaks for itself, so they ask a load of random nonsense.

Caporegime
It's frustrating when you have a phone interview and they basically say there's no point in asking any tech questions as your CV speaks for itself, so they ask a load of random nonsense.

That's unfortunate, maybe if it wasn't pre-planned on their part but they were at a loss as to what to then ask you could guide them towards just talking you through the role etc.. rather than wasting time with ad hoc nonsense. It can be quite nice having an interview where your ability to do the job is already apparent and the interview is more just about finding out about the role on your side and them just finding out about your goals, deciding whether you'd fit etc...

Man of Honour
I won't be taking the role anyway, it was pretty rude if I'm honest. Kind of went them saying hello, we are x/y/z, then a load of crap questions, then thanks for your time. No chance for me to ask anything etc. If I am offered a F2F I'm going to decline.

Back
Top Bottom