How much to tile my bathroom floor

Soldato
I haven't had any quotes back yet, and only 1 person has come to quote so far.

he told me
the bathroom floor is 1.8m2
toilet and vanity will need removing.
as it has been tiled directly to chipboard he would recommend fitting a 6mm cement board (glued and screwed) and then tiling on top of that.
The work would be completed over 3 days totaling 2 full days of labour,
His labour charge is £175 per day

I would supply the tiles, he would supply all other materials, I said I was also happy to rip up the old tiles prior to his arrival. (they are almost up anyway with lots broken and lifting etc.

I was expecting a days labour at most with such a small floor, does the above sound right ?

Associate
I think for 2 days, if that included removal and reinstatement of toilet and vanity, it sounds about right. You may as let him remove the old tiles as it looks like you are paying a day rate on his time

Associate
You say his labour charge is £175 per day and that he would supply all other materials. Would it be £350 then or would he be charging you extra for materials?

If £350 all in, I don't think that sounds overly wild. He presumably is going to spend a day removing waste, prepping the floor, fitting the 6mm cement board, etc and then a day tiling it. It would be a bit much to do all in one day properly.

Soldato
OP
You say his labour charge is £175 per day and that he would supply all other materials. Would it be £350 then or would he be charging you extra for materials?

If £350 all in, I don't think that sounds overly wild. He presumably is going to spend a day removing waste, prepping the floor, fitting the 6mm cement board, etc and then a day tiling it. It would be a bit much to do all in one day properly.
He hasn't quoted me yet but I am of the understanding it will be £350 + materials.

Seemed a nice guy, responded quickly and came to quote quickly (which is definitely half the battle, still waiting for a joiner to come and fit a double folding door for me 3 months later :( )

Associate
He hasn't quoted me yet but I am of the understanding it will be £350 + materials.

Seemed a nice guy, responded quickly and came to quote quickly (which is definitely half the battle, still waiting for a joiner to come and fit a double folding door for me 3 months later :( )

I know the feeling, finding good quality tradespeople is hard work. I know a good electrician, plasterer and general builder now but I've used two plumbers and they have both been terrible despite lots of fantastic reviews on sites like mybuilder. Seems to just be a trial and error thing.

Soldato
OP
I know the feeling, finding good quality tradespeople is hard work. I know a good electrician, plasterer and general builder now but I've used two plumbers and they have both been terrible despite lots of fantastic reviews on sites like mybuilder. Seems to just be a trial and error thing.
Plumbing I am fine, by brother used to be one, plus the only copper in my house is the 1st metre (or whatever regs state) out of the boiler, everything else is speedfit, adjustments can literally be done on the fly by a monkey :D

Back
Top Bottom