The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
Been in a Gwent -> Thronebreaker -> Witcher 3 & Books/Comics binge for weeks now. God damn what a beautiful world! Why did I wait so long to play through it all!!

Also, unbelievable how great Witcher 3 looks even today - completely uncontested as a graphical masterpiece and all thanks to it having at least some mod support & ini tweaks. Nothing open world/RPG comes close, nothing. My only wish is that the pathfinding for monsters weren't so wonky, it's the only thing that really detracts from the experience.

Finished W3 once (no expacs, not 100% of all side quests), took about 70hrs, now I'm replaying it but doing everything in order as much as possible progression wise & on death march. This is gonna be a 200hr adventure for sure. Don't think I'll be able to stave off overleveling for too long but I'll try. This is one area at least where AC Odyssey really has the progression down very well from Witcher's overcomplicated attempt - W3 tries to be too complex and that ends up tying them in a knot when it comes to level pacing. It's really too bad, it's 10/10 in so many aspects (writing, graphics, immersion, etc.) but pure gameplay, it's a 8/10 and that's if I'm being generous. Still, an unbelievable game nonetheless!

Too bad we won't get more Witcher games any time soon. I actually wouldn't mind more Thronebreaker games until they finish with 2077 & then they can work on another Witcher RPG.

PS: If you have a recent AMD card, I found a mod that lets you enable High Precision mode & that nets you about 10% more performance for free. It's really cool!

Associate
Same here. I still have the expansion packs to go and even without I spent a good 90+ hours on the base game. I'll be waiting till I upgrade my PC as soon as Zen 2 is out. Will probably just play the expansions. Wish I could do a replay but too many other unplayed games on my list.

Associate
I know this is a good game but i just cant get into it, the samething happened with GTA, it seems since ive had the kids i just cant sit and concentrate for an hour at a time and need a blast to last 20mins max. (so im currently playing Monster hunter and Overwatch :()

Same problem here mate, really want to get into it but never could. Probably didn't help that I went off-piste on the first play and attempted to have a tussle with some guards who promptly kicked my bottom!

Soldato
Decided to mess around some more. Ended up watching a DF video again about W3 on PS4P vs X1X and thought about showing the difference to the PC, with a thought to future consoles and whether they'd be able to achieve PC's level even with the new hardware. Without further ado:

Idd = increased draw distance mod. The only other 2 visible mods which I didn't bother disabling are HD reworked & beautiful grass. I suspect even in the no idd screenshots the idd architecture portion was still working. Ah well.

Soldato
Yes, it's honestly amazing how well optimised this game is while looking incredible and also offering so many options. There really is no better.

Soldato
How do I get my game saves in to the cloud ?
I own this on GOG and when I fired it up on another machine it only has my game saves from VERY early on, presumably because I never log in to GOG with this being the only game I own on that platform ?

Caporegime
Yes, it's honestly amazing how well optimised this game is while looking incredible and also offering so many options. There really is no better.

Problem I have now is having tried playing it in 4K and seeing how wondrous it looks, anything less is not to my satisfaction. But my GPU can only handle about 25-35fps at that resolution. :p

Soldato
OP
Problem I have now is having tried playing it in 4K and seeing how wondrous it looks, anything less is not to my satisfaction. But my GPU can only handle about 25-35fps at that resolution. :p

Hence me upgrading from 1070 to 2080Ti earlier this year :)
4K@60fps a reality.

Soldato
I installed again today to play again. Got all mods ready.

I'm using a ps4 controller and I didn't realise how easy it is to just plug and play. The controller even lights up different colours depending on which sword you've got unsheathed. Awesome!

Associate
Game of Thrones has got me back into Witcher 3 for round 3. Why I never got expansion content is beyond me. Anyway a quick browse around and bagged it all for a £10.
What are the mods you guys speak of?

Soldato
Game of Thrones has got me back into Witcher 3 for round 3. Why I never got expansion content is beyond me. Anyway a quick browse around and bagged it all for a £10.
What are the mods you guys speak of?

The ones that stick to Vanilla but simply improve visuals are:

HDReworked Project - This one is a MUST, they're basically higher res textures. So long as you have vram, they cost nothing in terms of performance.

Tweaks - This one doesn't change anything in the game, it simply gives you more options in the in-game menu to change things rather than having to edit the ini config.

All Quest Objectives on Map - This one changes map so that it has more info on it in terms of icons. It is a BIG quality of life improvement.

HD Monsters Reworked - In the same spirit as HDRP above it, this is a graphical update to monsters without actually changing how they look generally from vanilla. More of getting them to a higher-res level than anything else.

Beautiful Grass - This just changes grass, but only for vanilla not expacs.

Blood - Improves blood, it sprays more and in a more dramatic fashion.

No Dirty Lens - Basically what is says, you don't get dirty screen effect anymore.

Improved Signs - Ups the GFX of signs, particularly particle count.

Increased Draw Distance - As the name says. For me it's a must have because I'm very particular about this setting & can never get enough. Also only for Vanilla, though there's a Toussaint version supposedly.

Auto-Apply Oils - It does a scan around you for enemies and based on their type it automatically applies the relevant oil to your weapon. It's both greatly convenient & somewhat iffy because it feels like too much convenience almost. Sadly, I think ultimately this is down to a game design problem where oils sounded good in theory & were appropriate to the lore but just didn't make sense as a game system as it is. Since they're not going to rework it, I say just use the mod.

Back
Top Bottom