16GB vs 24GB

Associate
Hi all:p

This question been asked a lot of times but research through google only shows suggestiins and not definite answers.
OC UK community can always be relied on though so decided to give my question a try.

Motherboard: Asus F Strix B350
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

Currently I am running 8GB (2x 4GB) Corsair 3000mhz RAM but it's proving to be the minimum.
Now that prices of RAM have went down I am planning on buying 16GB kit of same RAM.

I play games now and then, such as PUBG / Rust / CS:GO but mainly I edit videos with Premiere Pro and rendering time is long.

Question is, do I buy 16GB (2x 8GB) kit and add it to my motherboard populating other two empty slots or will I see a better performance getting rid of 8GB (2x 4GB) and only having two slots populated instead of all 4.

Performance doesnt bother me in terms of "on paper" but rather the real world difference. :rolleyes:

Suggestions?

Thanks you in advance :cool:

Soldato
Ryzen is quite dependant on memory clock speed, because CPU's internal InfinityFabric bus is locked to it.
But with first gen Ryzen speeds over 3000MHz would be anyway harder to achieve.
So four DIMMs might not be any worser than currently.
And apparently that motherboard uses "t-topology", so four DIMMs shouldn't lower possible clocks compared to two.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_Memory_Tweaking_Overclocking_Guide/4.html

Video editing could certainly use that extra 8GB as cache/work buffer.
Though encoding is also very heavily CPU horsepower dependant.
(that marketing BS motherboard with cut down flimsy VRM isn't good for high end CPUs)

Back
Top Bottom