Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce

Man of Honour
Whenever this thread title pops up I always imagine everyone in here being like good old Zucc:

Never had the pleasure myself, I'll try to sauce some. Geddit? It's funny because I'm using the word sauce instead of source :'D

Soldato
Just been in to Lidl. Thanks for the tip off. Bought £15 worth of BBQ sauce the wife is going to think I’m nuts.

Great BBQ sauce.

Soldato
I love me some BBQ Sauce :D

I've been using the standard Bulls-Eye sauce which is really nice, but I find it doesn't last very well and costs quite a lot... Surprisingly, I have recently tried the Heinz BBQ Sauce which I was really surprised with how much I enjoyed! :eek:

Will have to try Sweet Baby Ray's sauce :D

Associate
If I may, for those that don't live in a BBQ region, and if you're in the UK you don't, there is no substitute for making your own BBQ sauce. Google recipes and experiment. Nothing you get from a bottle will compare! Nothing!

Being a Texan and having grown up with some of the best BBQ in the world, I can assure you that I never buy any brand of commercially available BBQ sauce. I either buy from local joints or I make it myself. There's no comparison imo.

Honestly, it's not that hard to make it yourself. After a few batches you'll know what you like and can tailor it to your taste. Tomato based? No problem. Vinegar based? No problem. Spicy? Mild? Medium?... anything goes.

Don't settle for SuperHyperMega commercial brands!! Do you settle for commercial BBQ? Lordy, I hope not. :)

Caporegime
If I may, for those that don't live in a BBQ region, and if you're in the UK you don't, there is no substitute for making your own BBQ sauce. Google recipes and experiment. Nothing you get from a bottle will compare! Nothing!

Being a Texan and having grown up with some of the best BBQ in the world, I can assure you that I never buy any brand of commercially available BBQ sauce. I either buy from local joints or I make it myself. There's no comparison imo.

Honestly, it's not that hard to make it yourself. After a few batches you'll know what you like and can tailor it to your taste. Tomato based? No problem. Vinegar based? No problem. Spicy? Mild? Medium?... anything goes.

Don't settle for SuperHyperMega commercial brands!! Do you settle for commercial BBQ? Lordy, I hope not. :)
Isn't that just down to convenience and personal circumstances, rather than geography?

And thanks for introducing me to the concept of 'BBQ regions'! :D Luckily the internet and international trade allows us folk in non-BBQ regions to buy stuff from hallowed BBQ regions.

There are loads of things that are better if you make them yourself, but sometimes people just want something quickly and easily. E.g. ready meals.

Associate
Isn't that just down to convenience and personal circumstances, rather than geography?

And thanks for introducing me to the concept of 'BBQ regions'! :D Luckily the internet and international trade allows us folk in non-BBQ regions to buy stuff from hallowed BBQ regions.

There are loads of things that are better if you make them yourself, but sometimes people just want something quickly and easily. E.g. ready meals.

Convenience is fine, and we all do various things for the ease of it. I'm not knocking that. That said, I think we all know there's a difference between convenience and 'done properly'.

I'm just pointing out that the 'stuff you buy from hallowed BBQ regions' is, simply put, pure ****! BBQ is, in my opinion, not something that you can take a short cut with.

Maybe I'm a bit of a BBQ snob... sorry. :D

Soldato
Convenience is fine, and we all do various things for the ease of it. I'm not knocking that. That said, I think we all know there's a difference between convenience and 'done properly'.

I'm just pointing out that the 'stuff you buy from hallowed BBQ regions' is, simply put, pure ****! BBQ is, in my opinion, not something that you can take a short cut with.

Maybe I'm a bit of a BBQ snob... sorry. :D
Nothing wrong with some BBQ snobbery. Saying that I do love some supermarket BBQ sauces myself, but also definitely have an appreciation for stuff made yourself, the proper way.

Care to share your favourite BBQ sauce recipe?

Associate
Nothing wrong with some BBQ snobbery. Saying that I do love some supermarket BBQ sauces myself, but also definitely have an appreciation for stuff made yourself, the proper way.

Care to share your favourite BBQ sauce recipe?

Asking a man about his favorite BBQ sauce is the same as asking him about his favorite child. :)

I will tell you that despite being from Texas where beef is king, I prefer pork. Not that I don't love beef BBQ, but nothing compares to pork imo. Whole hog will blow your mind!

With pork I prefer a tangy Carolina vinegar sauce:

• 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 1/3 cup yellow mustard
  • 1 small yellow onion chopped fine
  • 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
  • 4 cloves garlic minced roughly
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 serrano pepper minced roughly
  • 1/3 teaspoon chili powder (I don't know if 'chili powder' translates in the UK. It's not spicy hot - per se - but it does add a depth of flavor. You'll have to decide)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Dash of Worcestershire sauce
In a small saucepan add chopped onion, chopped garlic and minced serrano pepper to 4 to 5 tablespoons of olive oil. (not extra virgin). Heat over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Increase heat to high, stirring constantly and avoid browning of any ingredients. Once heated through drain, and reserve oil. Discard the rest.

In medium saucepan add the remaining ingredients, except the salt, and slowly bring to a boil stirring constantly. Allow to boil for 5 minutes, again stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in 3 tablespoons of the reserved oil (this is where you have to adjust to your taste. Some will want more of the oil, and some will want less.) Stir to combine. Add salt to taste.

Enjoy.

You're Welcome!

:D

Soldato
Awesome thanks! I guess I've never tried a proper vinegar based sauce, so can't wait to give this a try. The only ingredient which isn't immediately recognisable is the serrano pepper, I'm sure I can find them or something similar though. Chili powder definitely does translate. Looks heavy on the vinegar and garlic, I'm intrigued.

I'll get a big pork shoulder on and get this going soon.

Soldato
Just google'd sweet baby rays to see prices in the UK at the moment and noticed the first ingredient on the ingredients list is high fructose corn syrup :rolleyes:

And they claim it's a family recipe, does anyone use HFCS in the home??

Associate
Awesome thanks! I guess I've never tried a proper vinegar based sauce, so can't wait to give this a try. The only ingredient which isn't immediately recognisable is the serrano pepper, I'm sure I can find them or something similar though. Chili powder definitely does translate. Looks heavy on the vinegar and garlic, I'm intrigued.

I'll get a big pork shoulder on and get this going soon.

Sweet! I hope you like it. Please know that you may have to make two or three batches of the sauce, adjusting to your taste, to get it right. Please don't be afraid to tailor it to your personal taste.

As for the Serrano, you can substitute a Jalapeno, Chipotle in adobo sauce, or any other spicy chili pepper you can get your hands on. There's no right or wrong here. It's all about what you prefer.

And for the record, in addition to tomato based and vinegar based sauces, there is also mustard based and mayonnaise based (white sauce) sauces. The last two tend to be more regional here, but are excellent when done correctly.

As always, if the meat isn't cooked properly, no sauce will make it better.

Happy cooking! :)

Associate
Just google'd sweet baby rays to see prices in the UK at the moment and noticed the first ingredient on the ingredients list is high fructose corn syrup :rolleyes:

And they claim it's a family recipe, does anyone use HFCS in the home??

This is my single biggest problem with commercially available BBQ sauces, and many other food items, the inclusion of HFCS! It's an abomination, and directly related to the increase of type II diabetes worldwide.

To answer your question, no, no one uses HFCS at home!

Soldato
Just got this today to try.

Not cheap at £7.00 per bottle delivered but looks to be really good going from the ingredients and description :)

AEcKsVnm.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom