UK made cars or parts made in UK?

Soldato
OP
Just thought I would update the thread with a conclusion. Turns out the Jaguar E-Pace engine is made in the UK and that was good enough for my uncle so my mum has ordered a Jaguar E-Pace HSE with a bunch of options, sunroof, adaptive dynamics, matrix LED headlights after a test drive. I know as i'm sure most here do that a nicer car could have been had going German but it wasn't on the cards and end of the day the car itself is free for my mum just the insurance/tax and petrol to pay. I certainly think it looks nice and the interior, whilst maybe not as nice as some of the German manufacturers is a huge step up from her Daihatsu Kiri :p we did originally go for a much lower specced model but my uncle was again quite insistent she got 'top of the range' but didn't go for the R-Dynamic as there were no features but external ones that seemed of any benefit. It is the Caesium Blue with Oyster/Lunar interior.

Only issue I had was she went with the lowest power petrol engine at 200hp but considering she is coming from a sub 100hp engine I think she will be fine as she is a very safe and cautious driver.

She's incredibly nervous about it as she's so used to her Daihatsu but after a week I know she will be fine. Car expected mid-end of June.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Soldato

That first link is really interesting, probably explains why my Avensis is noticeably lower quality than the previous Toyotas i've owned/had experience with :(

I love the idea of supporting the UK economy by buying British but it always seems they're of inferior quality compared to ones built elsewhere, speaking of the Japanese brands anyway.

Soldato
Even if you buy a UK built car the money still belongs in the country that the manufacturer resides.
for example I have ties to bentley Motors in my line of work, they are owned by VW which is obviously a German company
Nissan build cars in UK but they are Japanese
same for Toyota
BMW, German owned.

etc etc.

so the money is really supporting a non-UK business in reality.
Very few car parts are made in Uk now because as a country we are too expensive to use for manufacturing.
Our labour costs price us out of the market.

Soldato
What i don't understand is if Brexit affected his business then why would he want to support British companies when it was the British people that created the mess which is brexit?

Soldato
Even if you buy a UK built car the money still belongs in the country that the manufacturer resides.
for example I have ties to bentley Motors in my line of work, they are owned by VW which is obviously a German company
Nissan build cars in UK but they are Japanese
same for Toyota
BMW, German owned.

etc etc.

so the money is really supporting a non-UK business in reality.
Very few car parts are made in Uk now because as a country we are too expensive to use for manufacturing.
Our labour costs price us out of the market.

We do still make a lot of parts, especially for aftermarket and racing stuff. Really high quality parts too.

But you get what you pay for I suppose and they aren't cheap.

Soldato
We do still make a lot of parts, especially for aftermarket and racing stuff. Really high quality parts too.

But you get what you pay for I suppose and they aren't cheap.
I am coming at this from a logistics point of view, I know where the bulk of the parts are made (for uk assembled cars) and over the last 5 years there has been a significant shift to Eastern Europe and Germany, alongside a significant drop in parts being collected from the UK.

Soldato
What i don't understand is if Brexit affected his business then why would he want to support British companies when it was the British people that created the mess which is brexit?
It's a good question, I would assume it's because he want's to help the UK companies/workers who got screwed over by the Brexiteers, OP can prob confirm/deny.

I would have said Honda, but they're pulling out in 2021 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Honda_assembly_plants)
It doesn't sound like he's planning to wait two years to complete the purchase :p

Back
Top Bottom