How much money would change your life?

Man of Honour
I see two completely different questions that have two completely different answers:

1) Change your life. That would have to be enough money for you to not have to work again, ever. You might choose to work, but whatever work you do would be by choice rather than for money.
2) Improve your current life, but you have to continue working. That would be a much smaller amount.

For me (1) would be at least £5M and upwards. There would be changes from £5M to £100M, maybe further. (2) could be as low as £20K. Clear my remaining bit of mortgage, buy a few home improvements. There would be further improvements with more money, e.g. enough to provide an income of even a few thousand a year would allow me to reduce the hours I work, which would significantly improve my life.

But as it is, I'm doing OK now. Thank goodness I was able to buy a house >20 years ago. I don't even know how people manage nowadays. Renting a single room costs more than my mortgage.

Associate
As Angilion says, depends on what you want to do. I would aim at around 5 million as then I could get myself a good property (probably would look at moving back home to Sweden), I could take a few years at uni to study for a degree in a subject that interests me and hopefully open my own company afterwards.

Associate
Wife and I are very lucky, no debt, 3 properties (2 in the UK, 1 in Greece) and planning to stop work in 2 years, at 48. however, still worry I have enough, 500k would stop me worrying as I can't step back once I stop. Stopping for me will be the bravest thing I ever do.

Soldato
As others have said. Clearing the mortgage I would imagine is pretty life changing.

A big place to live too (detached house would be all I'm asking) so perhaps £800k to trade up my home and have it paid off.

I don't actually think I would want to quit work. Even if I have two weeks off work, the end of the second week I'm sometimes getting a bit bored! It would be nice to not have to work full time hours though.

Caporegime
As others have hinted at, to be truly life changing I would want 5-10M minimum. To improve my life in a substantial way then i would still look to get around 1M. Smaller amounts obviously still help but they don;t fundamentally change things and I would still need to work a 40hr week office job.

I would like to clear mortgage (850K, houses are expensive here), buy a small chalet in the mountains (240K+). At that point I could change jobs to somehtign that pays less but is perhaps more personally interesting, I would still have to work full time though if I want to retire comfortably and go on vacation.

Soldato
£250k to clear mortgage but not much else would change.
£1m for me to give up work but I think I would get bored quite quickly.
£5m minimum for me and missus to give up work and not worry about cash.
£50m if we help our families.

Soldato
about £200k to get onto the property ladder, would let me focus on a career i enjoy rather than having to endlessly chase more money to get out of the renting loop.

anything beyond that and i reckon it'd end up never being enough, there's always more stuff you could be spending money on.

Soldato
£500k to buy a house outright and that'd do me well.

otherwise if we go into other figures

£3-4mil to buy a property for my self and a few properties to rent out and I'd be happy.

Caporegime
I always say you can never have enough - I would just like to be able to get a car and driver to take me to airport on a whim -jump on plane first class to NY say and have a coffee and meal then jump back on plane home and not even worry how much it costs.
In real life £100k would just see me out. - I have no debts and not a lot of income.

That is the most retarded scenario I've ever heard of.

You would spend 16 hours on a plane just for a coffee in one of the busiest cities in the world where it would likely take you 30 minutes standing in a queue to be served after waiting 2 hours in traffic from the airport then another 2 hours back.

What a complete waste. Fair enough if it was to watch a world heavyweight title or something but to do it for a coffee which would likely be crap anyway would be a waste of life.

You aren't going to get that day back you just spent 20+ hours travelling.

Back
Top Bottom