Gigabyte Aero 15 X Gaming Notebook With GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Graphics

Associate
Hi @Atom80

I'll be able to get the serial number and boot NVMe drive details to you tomorrow. I left the laptop in my room as no point bringing it with me to the office. (Currently working in Kazakhstan; +4 hours BST. Not due home until circa 23rd May :()

The upgrades I did were as follows:
  • Samsung 970 EVO Polaris 2TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
  • Kingston HyperX Impact 16GB (1X16GB) DDR4 PC4-21300 2666MHz 260-Pin SODIMM Module

Wish I had a set of torx screwdrivers with me. I have an NVMe to USB caddy I could test the drive in. :rolleyes::(

Cheers,

John.

Associate
Hi @Atom80

Here is the serial number:

Serial%20Number.JPG

and both NVMe's:

NVMe%20drives.png

Cheers,

John.

Associate
I have just ordered this. Seems a few are having issues. Read somewhere that replacing the thermal compound works wonders on this. How would that affect warranty? Also adding more ram and an extra nvme, how would that affect warranty?

Associate
I have just ordered this. Seems a few are having issues. Read somewhere that replacing the thermal compound works wonders on this. How would that affect warranty? Also adding more ram and an extra nvme, how would that affect warranty?

Its already stated on this forum that adding memory or an additional NVMe wont void the warranty, so long as you do not do any damage. Also that any warranty will not cover the extra memory or the additional NVMe.

As for changing the thermal compound I wouldn't know as not seen anyone mention that until now on this forum. That might void the warranty.

Bry

Bry

Associate
@Atom80
My aero15 died the other day. I was just browsing Facebook so nothing strenuous when it suddenly turned off (not a bad just turned off).
No matter what i couldnt turn it back on, even holding power button.

Then about 45 minutes later it turned on and seems fine.

1) any ideas what it might be? Should I be concerned
2) should it happen again where do I go for support on warranty? Ocuk told me to speak to a company called mendit who apparently deals with all repairs. Us this correct or should I be going via gigabyte? If so what's the web address/phone number?

Cheers

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
@Atom80
My aero15 died the other day. I was just browsing Facebook so nothing strenuous when it suddenly turned off (not a bad just turned off).
No matter what i couldnt turn it back on, even holding power button.

Then about 45 minutes later it turned on and seems fine.

1) any ideas what it might be? Should I be concerned
2) should it happen again where do I go for support on warranty? Ocuk told me to speak to a company called mendit who apparently deals with all repairs. Us this correct or should I be going via gigabyte? If so what's the web address/phone number?

Cheers

Hi @ Bry,

Strange. But then technology sometimes is :confused:

Hopefully just "one of those" things, continue to monitor, and if occurs again, yes we would advise to have checked over the our dedicated Repair Centre, Mendit (as stated by OcUK). Contact details as follows:

GIGABYTE Authorized Service Partner
Address: MendIT Ltd Unit 1 Magnesium Court Burnley Bridge Industrial Estate Burnley Lancashire England BB12 7BF
Technical Support: 0844 244 9999
Email: [email protected]

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi @Atom80

Here is the serial number:

Serial%20Number.JPG

and both NVMe's:

NVMe%20drives.png

Cheers,

John.

HI @Scorpuk - spoken with R&D this morning. They have offered to send a new Intel SSD for you to test - but from looking at the info, seems you cannot open the machine at this time because of lack of tools :(

If you can, then let us know, but if not we would advise sending in the machine to Mendit when you are back to UK.

Will await you reply.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Bry

Bry

Associate
Hi @ Bry,

Strange. But then technology sometimes is :confused:

Hopefully just "one of those" things, continue to monitor, and if occurs again, yes we would advise to have checked over the our dedicated Repair Centre, Mendit (as stated by OcUK). Contact details as follows:

GIGABYTE Authorized Service Partner
Address: MendIT Ltd Unit 1 Magnesium Court Burnley Bridge Industrial Estate Burnley Lancashire England BB12 7BF
Technical Support: 0844 244 9999
Email: [email protected]

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Brilliant, thanks thats what i thought. Kinda annoying as I wrote an email to them and just as i was about to hit send it staretd turning on. Obviously prefer it that way around but why didnt it turn on before I wrote the email lol (these things are done to test us.)

Associate
HI @Scorpuk - spoken with R&D this morning. They have offered to send a new Intel SSD for you to test - but from looking at the info, seems you cannot open the machine at this time because of lack of tools :(

If you can, then let us know, but if not we would advise sending in the machine to Mendit when you are back to UK.

Will await you reply.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Morning @Atom80

Thanks for the update.

Probably not a good idea to try and send it to me in Kazakhstan. It would probably get held up at customs for a month or more and I'm on a construction site in the middle of nowhere. :rolleyes::D

I'll be home on the 23rd and will have tools to open the laptop then if they can send the new SSD to my home address. If that's the problem then quickly resolved. Otherwise I could then send to mendit and return the SSD.

If that's ok? ;)

Cheers,

John.

Associate
Done a fresh windows install and Pantone is greyed out on smart manager. How do i download the profile?

Also noticed its a little laggy at times. Would adding another 16gb ram improve this as its dual channel ram then?

Also , anyone know why when im stress testing this , using prime95 , my max clock speed is under 2k? (See Pic)

eb3peo.png

Last edited:
Associate
Not one to get overly excited but...I Looooooove this laptop :)

4k Screen : 9.5/10 Tiny bit of backlight bleed but im being picky. Colours are lovely and very sharp.
Keyboard: Don't know why some people dont like it , i find it perfect.
Power: Runs very well , can 4k video edit on Davinci Resolve with no dropped frames using raw or prores.
Battery Life: I have set 2 shortcuts to my desktop , one for Balanced and one for max Performance. On balanced , it shows anywhere between 8 and 10hrs. When hammering it , it shows anywhere between 3 and 4hrs. BUT , it would be plugged in most of the time when doing video editing , so no big deal and would dare to say that ANY laptop ,macbooks included , wouldn't get more than 3-4hrs doing intensive video editing.

I have upgraded the Ram to another 16gb (Crucial) so 32gb total and it booted first time , no issues at all and feels quite a bit more snappy.
I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro and havent installed any of the Gigabyte software. To be honest , i dont think it needs it. Runs far better without the bloat.
I must have got lucky as i have managed a 0.200mv undervolt and it stable on prime95 and getting idle temps of low 40s and full load on cpu of 60 and full load of cpu and gpu of 75. I was going to repaste with MX4 or even try Conductonaut but tbh dont see the point.

If there is 1 thing i think that could be improved is the feet underneath. With the intake fans being underneath , why not make the feet say 2mm taller so there is more air to go underneath?

All in all a very good laptop and glad i chose it now.

Associate
Not one to get overly excited but...I Looooooove this laptop

I’d have to agree. Best laptop by far I’ve ever bought.

Yeah it’s failed on me, but that’s just the luck of the draw.

Always been impressed with gigabyte.

Support is also one of the best. @Atom80 and crew.

John.

Edit: lol forum doesn’t like iPhone emojis.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Not one to get overly excited but...I Looooooove this laptop :)

4k Screen : 9.5/10 Tiny bit of backlight bleed but im being picky. Colours are lovely and very sharp.
Keyboard: Don't know why some people dont like it , i find it perfect.
Power: Runs very well , can 4k video edit on Davinci Resolve with no dropped frames using raw or prores.
Battery Life: I have set 2 shortcuts to my desktop , one for Balanced and one for max Performance. On balanced , it shows anywhere between 8 and 10hrs. When hammering it , it shows anywhere between 3 and 4hrs. BUT , it would be plugged in most of the time when doing video editing , so no big deal and would dare to say that ANY laptop ,macbooks included , wouldn't get more than 3-4hrs doing intensive video editing.

I have upgraded the Ram to another 16gb (Crucial) so 32gb total and it booted first time , no issues at all and feels quite a bit more snappy.
I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro and havent installed any of the Gigabyte software. To be honest , i dont think it needs it. Runs far better without the bloat.
I must have got lucky as i have managed a 0.200mv undervolt and it stable on prime95 and getting idle temps of low 40s and full load on cpu of 60 and full load of cpu and gpu of 75. I was going to repaste with MX4 or even try Conductonaut but tbh dont see the point.

If there is 1 thing i think that could be improved is the feet underneath. With the intake fans being underneath , why not make the feet say 2mm taller so there is more air to go underneath?

@RyzenJunkie - sorry we missed the queries you posted earlier in the week, and big thanks to @MiSJAH for supporting :)

Really good to read your positive feedback, we will be visiting HQ for Computex next week, so the "feet" size will be communicated to the team.

Thanks for choosing Gigabyte AERO, and we hope you continue to enjoy your product.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Does the AERO not come with the additional stick on feet that the AORUS machines do? @Atom80

Hi @MiSJAH - no we don't ship those, but i know what you are referring to, and have sent the question / request to our man Rex !

& @RyzenJunkie

With regards to the slimness of the current feet, believe it or not, is because "everyone" is obsessed with the slimness of the total chassis, and when media review products, the feet are included in the dimension measurements. So every millimetre counts:eek:

We wouldn't however compromise system thermals and performance simply to achieve a slimmer profile, but just giving insight into the logic. Its all about a balanced approach to the design process, trying to satisfy every desire is always going to be a challenge, but we continue to strive for perfection :D:cool::D:cool:

Thanks again for your input on the thread

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Back
Top Bottom