Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
The plot points are perfectly good and even make sense

It's the "how" that's been done poorly

This.

Dany went from devoting her whole life to and spending the whole series not being a cruel genocidal tyrant to suddenly becoming just that in the space of a few episodes.

Her justification for doing so, also makes zero sense.

Associate
There is no iron throne any more.

Danny is pregnant with Johns child.
Arya uses the face magic to kill her as she gives birth and takes the baby, setting up shack with Gendry in Kings Landing.

Power over the kingdoms moves to the north.Real John has long gone North of the wall to wander.
Sansa sits on the new North throne, with briene as her hand who is carrying a Lanister child and Tryion as an adviser.

We get a 20 years later screen wipe and its the same old **** with Sansa gone bonkers facing an army led by Gendry and the now 20 year old targaryan with a new set of Dragons.

Whole story has just gone bonkers the last few episodes. Why have all those stuff with aryas training and shes only used it once.

Man of Honour
There is no iron throne any more.

Danny is pregnant with Johns child.
Arya uses the face magic to kill her as she gives birth and takes the baby, setting up shack with Gendry in Kings Landing.

Power over the kingdoms moves to the north.Real John has long gone North of the wall to wander.
Sansa sits on the new North throne, with briene as her hand who is carrying a Lanister child and Tryion as an adviser.

We get a 20 years later screen wipe and its the same old **** with Sansa gone bonkers facing an army led by Gendry and the now 20 year old targaryan with a new set of Dragons.

Whole story has just gone bonkers the last few episodes. Why have all those stuff with aryas training and shes only used it once.

Doesn't the person have to be dead for Arya to have their face? So Real Jon couldn't be north of the wall , he would have to be dead and surely if Dany was on the brink of birth something would have indicated that by now, either verbally or visually?

Is there even much point in having a wall now? The Night King is dead and all of his wights and walkers with him, the wildlings are now essentially friendly to the southerners, doesn't seem like the night watch or the wall are needed any more.

Man of Honour
I was thinking Arya might kill Dany (although feeling less likely after her last scene riding off on the horse) and then Jon would die killing Drogon or something. Feels like if a dragon is left in the world it would be somewhat unresolved to an extent.

Maybe as a Targaryen Jon wouldn't need to kill the dragon, Dany could die and Jon flies away on his nice shiny new dragon :)

Associate
I do wonder if Jon, now having seen the destruction a dragon can do, will end Drogons life in some way to stop it happening again.

I have to say though, the Cersei and Jamie ending was the best part for me, it was a very touching and sad scene. I started the episode saying I hope she dies, to then feeling sympathy and sadness for her in those last moments. Great acting by both of them.

Varys has been a let down the last few seasons, I can't believe he would be that careless, especially talking to Jon.

Permabanned
Early on perhaps but she has shown throughout the series her ruthless/violent side.

Only in the same way that any of the more calculable leaders have done. Look at the things Tywin did for instance. Admittedly there where a few instances where she strayed slightly out of character, but killing the innocent residents of an entire capital city? Nahh, not buying it for a second, even after emotional turmoil.

HOWEVER, I would have brought it if the development of that side of her character where drawn out a little more. Instead it just sort of all happened and we where expected to buy into it.

Associate
Doesn't the person have to be dead for Arya to have their face? So Real Jon couldn't be north of the wall , he would have to be dead and surely if Dany was on the brink of birth something would have indicated that by now, either verbally or visually?

Is there even much point in having a wall now? The Night King is dead and all of his wights and walkers with him, the wildlings are now essentially friendly to the southerners, doesn't seem like the night watch or the wall are needed any more.
The bulk Johns story has resolved around the fact he was a birth no one new about.
I did say North of the wall. Theres a lot of land and he has friends up there is what I meant.
Also the John Flys away on his new Dragon thing fits in with the crappy writing style.

I am not sure about the face thing. Maybe she just has a chat with John. John agrees Danny needs to Die but cant bring himself to do it.
In a fit of desperation and rage he kills himself allowing arya to take his face.
But as we all know ... John cant die. So he flys north on his new dragon. Decides people just suck ass and becomes the new Night King ... In the North... The Proper North.
The night king could ride a Dragon so presumably had targaryan blood.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Only in the same way that any of the more calculable leaders have done. Look at the things Tywin did for instance. Admittedly there where a few instances where she strayed slightly out of character, but killing the innocent residents of an entire capital city? Nahh, not buying it for a second, even after emotional turmoil.

I fully expect the same to happen in the books, however they will just expand on it more/make it more progressive. TV show has to take liberties, too many? perhaps.

Soldato
I apologise if it has been mentioned, one thing occurred to me reading some other comments with regard to Arya. Is she alive? I wondered if the white horse and galloping off down the empty burning road could be a metaphor for her death. Not that we've seen anything remotely like that in GoT before.. so maybe not.

Man of Honour
I apologise if it has been mentioned, one thing occurred to me reading some other comments with regard to Arya. Is she alive? I wondered if the white horse and galloping off down the empty burning road could be a metaphor for her death. Not that we've seen anything remotely like that in GoT before.. so maybe not.

Pretty sure she was in the trailer for next week

Associate
It could just as easily be a metaphor for her being Death.

Man of Honour
If Tyrion is killed in the last episode, that's House Lannister gone. The show could end with only House Greyjoy, House Baratheon and House Stark left, all the other houses have gone haven't they?

Wonder if there will be a House Seaworth created :)

House Targaryen.

My thought is he dies killing Dany.

Unless this happens.

So then you have a power vacuum and an unresolved dragon. They sure do have a lot to cram into the final episode.

Associate
I enjoyed the episode it wasn't entirely surprising but still had shock value nonetheless.

I saw the burning of KL as the culmination of Dany's arc. She has had a messianic streak right from the start, this has grown to an authoritarian streak as things have gone on and an increasing intolerance to dissension. Whilst she freed the slaves the process only reinforced her own sense of destiny and the outcome of that is where we've arrived. If I'm not loved I'll be feared but either way I'm in charge.

Jon and Tyrion have made their choices and both in their own ways have always been men of their word. They have spent this season struggling against the growing realisation that their adherence to their commitment is causing problems. Jon has done little because he has willingly made himself subordinate to Dany, Sansa hates that because she is on a path to regaining control and throwing off the fetters others placed on her. Tyrion has forsaken his house and committed to Dany's cause and is unwilling to forsake this cause even as it troubles him. As we saw with Randyll Tarly Dany brooks no dissension even when she has no right to demand Tarly's loyalty, she doesn't respect honour she values subservience.

Jamie and Cersei's ending whilst low key I thought was their story in a nutshell, their selfish choices and commitment to each other limited their future choices one after another until they only have each other standing in a room waiting to die unremarked. Whilst I had hoped for a completed redemption arc for Jamie killing Cersei to stop the slaughter, I accept maybe this was too far even for him. He still died a different man to the one we met in season 1.

It will be interesting to see how they wrap this up. This is the Game of Thrones maybe mad Dany will win, but my boy Gendry is still in the game ready to be proclaimed when every other bugger is dead. Good old King Robert's son seems like the safe candidate after all the mad buggers.

Having watched it again pretty much this for me too. Really not completely getting the hatred.

Dany's always shown that ruthlessness to her enemies. Her Brother, the witch, the folks in Quarth she locked up to die of hunger and so on throughout. Sure a lot of those people weren't good and possibly deserved their comeuppance but maybe not the agonising deaths they got! Always shown a petty vindictive side. Fire and blood etc.
Then you have her getting to Westeros. Turn after turn she's slapped back, usually by bad advice from her own Westerosi advisers. It's all chipping away at her. Takes things into her own hands, wins a battle and then burns anyone who doesn't bend.
Then she loses literally everyone who's been with her from Essos aside Grey Worm. Certainly anyone who's council she'd listen to. Then she finds out the only thing she has in her life, to be Queen, isn't even hers by right. Even worse it belongs to Jon, a man she loves who has now rejected her.
Then Cersei is the reason for the death of her 'child' last and then her last best friend. So she took another leaf out of Ollena's book, be the dragon, and proceeded to burn the city leaving the Red Keep for last to ensure Cersei feels the fear and pain she's had.

Fairly obvious she'll not be placated by having done that, probably too far gone for remorse because if she realises what she'd done she'll probably go truly mad. Actually, that could be a rather sad/fitting end. Her locked away wittering away - going from wailing remorse to screaming about burning everyone.

I really liked the Jaime/Cersei ending, leaving the world alone but together. In a normal, classical show Cersei would have had a 'bigger' ending at the hands of her nemesis Dany.

Cleganebowl was pure fan service and I for one am happy about that. Cleganes manic laughter at the craziness of his brother not going down was great. Ending him by pushing him out into the fire was poetic justice. Nice for him to get a goodbye with Arya too.

Criticism of Jon for not doing anything isn't really fair either, once a sack has started they take on a life of their own. Nothing at that point he could have done and if he'd magically stopped it and somehow shot down Drogon/Dany then GoT really would be a generic fantasy show. They only pulled out when the wildfire started going off.

Couple comments about Danys army still having lots of people, sure after episode three it looked like about 12 people were left so they messed up there. But in this episode she wasn't attacking where her own troops where. It was a complete rout, their losses would have been negligible. That would easily explain the Dothraki horse being there for Arya to ride out on.

The bad for me... crazy pirate guy washing up next to Jaime. As someone else said having Jaime stabbed wasn't needed unless it brought about a situation where Cersei could escape but doesn't to stay with him because he can't go on. Should have just given just Jaime of old one last flash of brilliance by making very short sharp work of crazy jack sparrow.

I didn't mind the scorpions missing, they've only ever hit Rhaegal who was flying on a straight course. Dany and Drogon have faced them a few times now.

Associate
Why did the Night King die like that - he was the big bad, the main threat.
Why does Bran have literally no value anymore - he was intertwined with the night king, there was more to explore there

Was thinking about the NK demise scene and thought, to stop the inevitable criticism of Bran, because he has been utterly useless so far, literally the second the NK catches Arya by the throat he pops out of the warg state and simply says, "the heart". Maybe a flash of the scene from whatever season we see the blade being put into the NK chest when he was human.

Arya drops the dagger into off hand and ends it. Reckon that could even be editing together

Back
Top Bottom