Three kingdoms - Total War

Associate
OP
Anyone read any of the articles going around at the moment? The big issue for me is what style of siege battle will they be going for. If it's Warhammer's, I'm out.

Yeah the sieges are boring in warhammer but the custom settlement mod for the campaign is very good. Except the ai on some of the maps can’t handle it.

Soldato
Not sure about this one, which is the first time I've ever said that about a total war game apart from Britannica. Still get it I'm sure, but I think I'll be sticking to classic mode. Early days yet so we will see.

apg

apg

Associate
I'm not sold yet either, not by a long shot. But it's worth noting that the game will have two modes; one with the more mythical/romanticised aspects, and the other being a more straitlaced traditional TW experience.

I'll probably end up buying it. I've bought all the other Total War games even if some of them are not really my cup of tea.

But it does just look so similar to the previous games. How long now has it been since something genuinely refreshing from CA (in the realm of real world games i.e. not Warhammer). Medieval 2 was such an amazing game and since then they have used the same engine and battles have always just been so samey. Look at the Ultimate General Civil War Game for advancement in tactical battles, look at paradox games for their campaign game variety; in my eyes CA games have just become jaded.

Soldato
I don't necessarily disagree with any of that, generally speaking. But I won't personally dismiss the campaign side of things on the basis of that video, which showed battle only. And the video actually does show something new for the series, in duels. It won't be to everyone's tastes, but it is different, for TW at least.

Soldato
But it does just look so similar to the previous games. How long now has it been since something genuinely refreshing from CA (in the realm of real world games i.e. not Warhammer). Medieval 2 was such an amazing game and since then they have used the same engine and battles have always just been so samey. Look at the Ultimate General Civil War Game for advancement in tactical battles, look at paradox games for their campaign game variety; in my eyes CA games have just become jaded.

I agree. I love Paradox games but there is just something I like about the Total War games, and I can't put my finger on it.

If they did a remaster of the first Rome: Total War game that would be amazing as it was my favourite in the series. I haven't played Medieval 2: Total War in years and years, but I own it on Steam. I might download it again and see if I prefer it to Rome: Total War (I hated Rome 2 with a passion).

Soldato
Btw, we should boycott this game until CA removes Red Shell from all the TW games.
They changed EULA and added it on all the TW games from Rome 2 onwards.

However even if they state that is removed, on Attila the dll is there still.
Had to block it by the hosts file.

Soldato
Watched some let's play videos from echo of total war. Decided to preorder it. The diplomacy looks really good and interesting. They have increased the unit sizes after the community kicked up about it. The battle ai is still looking a bit poor but that's been a problem for years. Like all total war games it's the mods that make the game.
Lu bu is looking like a beast and can't wait to run away from him haha.

Soldato
I've pre-ordered CA games in the past, but not this time. On the one hand, I'm genuinely pleased that they're trying to do things differently... Not just the setting, but also the diplomacy, duelling heroes, and other mechanics. On the other hand, that makes it more likely that the game will need lots of work post launch! So I'm hopeful there's a great game there, but I'm prepared to wait for it this time.

Soldato
No way I'll pre-order after this after the Rome 2 debacle, they haven't made a good historical TW game on release in years (Medieval 2?) - this might be good in years to come with mods, which is where Atilla is now, you really have to wait for the modding community to finish the game and make the best out of whatever CA/Sega deign to fart out half-finished and poorly concieved.

Associate
where can you watch the series? trying to read the first book but its a hard read :D

definitely won't be buying day 1 as from what I saw at gamescon last year and didn't really look like my cup of tea but will be happy to be surprised because its been a while since I have enjoyed a TW game.

Soldato
This is the first TW game I won't be buying on launch since the original Rome TW back in 2004. Ironically, it's the recent title I'm most interested in, and I really like some of the features they're trying to implement. But more/new features = more opportunities for something to go wrong! So for me it's very much a case of waiting for feedback, and patches if needs be.

Associate
After Warhammer Total War 2 I'm not sure I can go back to "normal" games anymore, its sort of spoiled Total War games for me. I don't feel any hype for this, its just a bit "meh" which is why I haven't pre-ordered but perhaps I'll pick it up in the future if it gets decent reviews or when its on sale but I'm not in any rush.

Back
Top Bottom