Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
If Tyrion is killed in the last episode, that's House Lannister gone. The show could end with only House Greyjoy, House Baratheon and House Stark left, all the other houses have gone haven't they?

Tyrion might want to die when he realises how much his house owes to the Iron Bank :p

fez

fez

Caporegime
Having watched it again pretty much this for me too. Really not completely getting the hatred.

Dany's always shown that ruthlessness to her enemies. Her Brother, the witch, the folks in Quarth she locked up to die of hunger and so on throughout. Sure a lot of those people weren't good and possibly deserved their comeuppance but maybe not the agonising deaths they got! Always shown a petty vindictive side. Fire and blood etc.

Danarys has always been ruthless with her enemies, not with innocent people unless they were following the orders of an enemy and refusing to surrender. They had shown that she had lost the plot and become paranoid and afraid of everyone around her for a couple of episodes but before that she was just becoming more assured of herself and her power.

Then you have her getting to Westeros. Turn after turn she's slapped back, usually by bad advice from her own Westerosi advisers. It's all chipping away at her. Takes things into her own hands, wins a battle and then burns anyone who doesn't bend.
Then she loses literally everyone who's been with her from Essos aside Grey Worm. Certainly anyone who's council she'd listen to. Then she finds out the only thing she has in her life, to be Queen, isn't even hers by right. Even worse it belongs to Jon, a man she loves who has now rejected her.

She was never going to waltz into Westeros and walk onto the throne without a hitch. She has repeatedly shown herself to be a bit of a spoilt brat who blames everyone else when anything goes wrong even when its completely unexpected or simply the result of good tactics from her enemy. The whole thing with Jon Snow is a bit silly. He hasn't rejected her. He has basically always said that he supports her, doesn't want anything to do with the throne and its all hers. Nothing about him has suggested he isn't being honest about that. She has rejected him and pushed him away and his final withdrawal from her is purely because he is seeing what she is turning into and he is questioning his blind loyalty to a tyrant in waiting. This is just the sort of storyline that Martin would actually explore. The relationship between the true heir to the throne who doesn't want it and the woman who wants it so desperately that she can't see anything but the throne and enemies who would take it from her.

Then Cersei is the reason for the death of her 'child' last and then her last best friend. So she took another leaf out of Ollena's book, be the dragon, and proceeded to burn the city leaving the Red Keep for last to ensure Cersei feels the fear and pain she's had.

She doesn't leave the red keep until last for any reason other than to put on a show and demoralise Cersei. Cersei would burn the place to the ground herself if it meant victory. She gives not a single **** about any of her people and that has been shown repeatedly. Cersei literally doesn't think things are going that badly until Qyburn tells her that all the ballistas are gone and the city is fallen. She hears the bells of surrender and this emotionlessly watches Dany burn the city.

Couple comments about Danys army still having lots of people, sure after episode three it looked like about 12 people were left so they messed up there. But in this episode she wasn't attacking where her own troops where. It was a complete rout, their losses would have been negligible. That would easily explain the Dothraki horse being there for Arya to ride out on.

She went nuclear on the city. She wasn't cherry picking her targets. The section with Ayra and the people trying to escape and some Dothraki show up should tell you that. She didn't care if she burnt everyone in that city (she pretty much did).

Permabanned
I'm kind of sick of being talked down too, as though my criticisms of the show can all be boiled down to the fact that I didn't see that Dany was always going to heel turn and that somehow I wanted a happy ending where the pretty blonde beats back the tides of evil to sit on the throne. As though I've not been blessed with the small semblance of intelligence it would take to see all of it coming a mile off. We ALL expected this to happen, it's just that some of us are annoyed at how shoddily it's been thrown together.

Someone on Twitter put it perfectly. The show was almost unique in following the 'laws of nature', now it follows the 'laws of TV'.

Associate
She went nuclear on the city. She wasn't cherry picking her targets. The section with Ayra and the people trying to escape and some Dothraki show up should tell you that. She didn't care if she burnt everyone in that city (she pretty much did).

Not so sure tbh, the dragon comes in after the dothraki riders are away. Sure, some may have been caught up but if she truly had flipped enough to start torching her own they'd have shown a shot of that happening to the northern troops or unsullied. All the tracking shots were civvies, gold company outside or lannister men.

Permabanned
I'm kind of sick of being talked down too, as though my criticisms of the show can all be boiled down to the fact that I didn't see that Dany was always going to heel turn and that somehow I wanted a happy ending where the pretty blonde beats back the tides of evil to sit on the throne. As though I've not been blessed with the small semblance of intelligence it would take to see all of it coming a mile off. We ALL expected this to happen, it's just that some of us are annoyed at how shoddily it's been thrown together.

Someone on Twitter put it perfectly. The show was almost unique in following the 'laws of nature', now it follows the 'laws of TV'.

The laws of nature? With dragons? Witches? Undead? Magic faces? Zombie knights? Whut?

I think people were lulled into thinking it was a period drama with the slower pace and almost reality style of the first book or two. Has always been an epic fantasy series.

Nobody talking down, just arguing the toss on the internet, its what its for. :p

Man of Honour
Though to be fair, even if she had torched the unsullied and the dothraki they would have insta-respawned ready to fight again anyway :D

Exactly, Cersei didn't have this magic in her arsenal. She had to pay for a few mercenaries. Dany just seems to find more troops out of nowhere. Where were all of these when they were fighting the undead - oh wait, they had to make it look like the odds were stacked against the living. What about the Dothraki who we saw mostly die apart from a small handful.

I think people were lulled into thinking it was a period drama

OK, I don't think anyone thought it was a period drama - if there was any doubt, the mountain put an end to that in the arena :p

It's popularity probably has been its downfall though. That said, without said popularity we wouldn't have actually seen most of these fights. We certainly didn't in the early seasons.

Permabanned
The laws of nature? With dragons? Witches? Undead? Magic faces? Zombie knights? Whut?

I think people were lulled into thinking it was a period drama with the slower pace and almost reality style of the first book or two. Has always been an epic fantasy series.

Nobody talking down, just arguing the toss on the internet, its what its for. :p

Aha you know what I mean. The laws of organic, grounded character perspectives and decisions. The fact that everyone's fair game for life and death regardless of moral standings and crimes, honour or lack thereof.

@CaptainRAVE See above :p

Permabanned
Not sure why people have a problem with Varys' actions... He specifically said the line about risk and reward to his little bird.... Talking to Jon in the way he did was his last throw of the dice, there was no time left for any further scheming. He forfeited his life on the chance that he could prevent a catastrophe, he was right, but he failed. Great ending to a great character.

Soldato
Was thinking about the NK demise scene and thought, to stop the inevitable criticism of Bran, because he has been utterly useless so far, literally the second the NK catches Arya by the throat he pops out of the warg state and simply says, "the heart". Maybe a flash of the scene from whatever season we see the blade being put into the NK chest when he was human.

Arya drops the dagger into off hand and ends it. Reckon that could even be editing together
because being a top-class assassin she'd need someone to tell her what to aim at, I guess?

Soldato
Jon should be the one to kill Dany imo, for no other reason than he's been bloody useless this season.

Favourite line of the last few episodes goes to Varys though; "I hope I deserve this". He really did care about the realm. Shame the character was so neutered (no pun intended) the past couple of seasons.

Soldato
Exactly, Cersei didn't have this magic in her arsenal. She had to pay for a few mercenaries. Dany just seems to find more troops out of nowhere. Where were all of these when they were fighting the undead - oh wait, they had to make it look like the odds were stacked against the living. What about the Dothraki who we saw mostly die apart from a small handful.

I believe what actually happened was they charged so fast the wind put their flaming swords out and they got lost in the dark. some obviously galloped on for ages and got more lost than others, and they're the stragglers who turn up to replenish the ranks. it's fairly simple logic.

Associate
i think the last 5 episodes have been good , feels a bit more rushed than the other Seasons but still good . Cleganbowl was worth the wait .

I' presumed that not all of Daenarys troops where at winterfell when they got massacred , unless i missed something that said they where.

Associate
Probably the most enjoyable episode of the season but still nowhere near what it started out as. I miss the times when Oberyn was on his of trail vengence and Bronn and Tyrion were mates.

Last edited:
Caporegime
great episode was obvious that dragon women was gunna do what she did. whos gunna end up on the throne seems to obvious to be jon or dragon lady. i think both of them will be killed. or kill each other. jon ayra and dragon lady which ones are dead soon.

Back
Top Bottom