Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smr

smr

Soldato
I thought it was a great episode. I didn't think Danny would be so ruthless.

Just a few things, the character development some people have a problem with, what specifically were the writers missing or what should they have written out for the characters?

I think Tyrion will end up on the throne as the obvious choice is Jon, but that's too obvious. Tyrion is the one who has spent the entire show with the best character development. From being a drunk and a regular brothel go-er he has changed and is looking out for the best interests of everyone and ultimately wants peace throughout the kingdoms. He also seems to have had the most screen time. But this episode sealed it for me, sacrificing his life for thousands of others. I thought the scene with Jamie was quite moving as well, reminding us that he has come through adversity in the way he was treated but still pulled through it to be a better man than many if not all (apart from Jon and his mates) around him.

Associate
Tyrion sitting on the throne would please most people. Probably means he'll be kindling by the end of the episode.
Hope he does survive and if not become King he can take up his seat on Casterly Rock. Maybe with his first wife, have Tywin spinning in his grave.

Varys letters might bring about Danys downfall if she starts getting letters of fealty to the Iron Throne - for Aegon Targaryan (sp?). Dany really loses it again and harps on about burning them all leaving Jon to do something about her. Maybe Bran wargs into the Dragon and nukes the unsullied and any Dothraki who try to get at Jon before taking him for a dive off a cliff.

Soldato
But this episode sealed it for me, sacrificing his life for thousands of others. I thought the scene with Jamie was quite moving as well, reminding us that he has come through adversity in the way he was treated but still pulled through it to be a better man than many if not all (apart from Jon and his mates) around him.
Sorry how did he sacrifice himself? Or are you just assuming Dany will kill him now?

And totally agreed about the scene with Jamie. Very moving actually.

I can't see him getting the throne because he's too well-liked as a character. I don't think anyone will get the throne. If it's Arya because of #MeToo then I can understand why people reading leaks now are up in arms :p I'd hate that too. (NB: I haven't read any alleged leaks I just think it would be way too Hollywood for Arya to get it).

Soldato
My biggest gripe is that the most despised character in the whole series "died" is such an unsatisfying manner!

Having said that I'll be even more disappointed if she has somehow survived a castle falling on her!

smr

smr

Soldato
Sorry how did he sacrifice himself? Or are you just assuming Dany will kill him now?

And totally agreed about the scene with Jamie. Very moving actually.

I can't see him getting the throne because he's too well-liked as a character. I don't think anyone will get the throne. If it's Arya because of #MeToo then I can understand why people reading leaks now are up in arms :p I'd hate that too. (NB: I haven't read any alleged leaks I just think it would be way too Hollywood for Arya to get it).

I worded that wrongly. What I meant was he was prepared to sacrifice himself. Pretty much the same thing though, I'm sure Danny will notice Jamie has gone missing.

Man of Honour
I worded that wrongly. What I meant was he was prepared to sacrifice himself. Pretty much the same thing though, I'm sure Danny will notice Jamie has gone missing.

You would think though that given all the mass destruction, randomly killing, widespread slaughter and panic, that it wouldn't be hugely unbelievable if she quizzed Tyrion and he simply said , "I don't know, haven't seen him, could be that he was killed in all the fighting or escaped amongst the panic and mayhem", seems like the sort of thing an intelligent survivor would say as a get out.

Permabanned
So many people still watching this in spite of seemingly despising it.

I can't disagree that it feels like it would end better at the end of season 7, but that doesn't stop me enjoying it now for what it is - just a rush to the end with some great battles. Don't over-analyse - that series died ages ago - just disengage brain, watch and enjoy. Or don't.

I can be both a fan and a critic of somehting at the same time. The two are not mutually exclusive of one another.

I'm pretty much with you though. Don't really watch it to be enthralled by what it was once great at anymore. It's just good popcorn TV and fun to discuss after. The book still exist as do those first 5 seasons. I'm happy that we had it so good for as long as we did tbh...

Permabanned
Because there was no way Jon was getting the throne. Kill Daenerys and you still have to deal with the Unsullied, Dothraki, the dragon, the golden company, Lannister army and Cersei. His plan succeeds? They probably all die anyway at the hands of Danny's armies and dragon.
He fails?He unwittingly causes the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. She only goes Psycho because she stops believing she can trust anyone around her. Varys doesn't plot against her she still trusts her closest advisors and more importantly Jon because she wouldn't know he told Sansa and Arya.

But she was mad all along... The gods had already flipped the coin, it was a case of when she would start burning people as opposed to if.... Of course Varys' didn't know this for sure, so he was hedging his bets... If she isn't mad then he dies and everyone lives happily ever after - a small price to pay. However, if she is mad he was trying to take action to limit her destruction. Sure, you can argue the toss about if by taking action he may have actually made things worse but Varys' was always portrayed as a schemer so it is not suprise (for right or wrong) that he followed his modus operandi to the end.

I think there is a hyper critically to characters actions these days. While I can't deny that outright dumb decisions are bad from a story perspective you have to remember that as the viewer you are exposed to significantly more information from a plot perspective than a character would be.

Soldato
My observation, having drifted into this thread now that we're near the end, is that there are elements of criticism, and more crying that it hasn't happened the way that they wanted it to. There's a difference.

I enjoy the Transformers movies, it doesn't mean I can't admit that the story has come straight from the gutter

Likewise with these last few seasons, they're amazingly acted, well directed, shot, choreographed and entertaining but the story is absolute garbage compared to how it once was

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I think Jon will have to kill Dany and Sansa will end up queen.

*yes I know what the leaks say but they did film 3 endings apparently and I'm hoping and praying they're wrong! :p

Soldato
I can be both a fan and a critic of somehting at the same time. The two are not mutually exclusive of one another.
some people can blindly turn off and happily watch something that way if they're a big fan, but I find the more I love something the more critical I am of it; can turn a blind eye to some things but when writing or whatever gets to the levels of stupidity/illogicality that's on display this season, I won't ignore it just because I liked something.

Caporegime
So... Dany.... spent years clawing back Iron Throne city by city, slave camp by slave camp, lost 100% of her fleet, 90% of her armies, all the people she loved. And all she really needed to get it all (snaps fingers) "just like that" was an afternoon solo flight with a single dragon...

Jon Snow... Mel had visions about him, gods resurrected him, but what is the point of that dude? He doesn't seem to do much, or is it just me?

You seemed to have missed Jon was resurrected to serve a purpose once that is done he will die.

He will likely be the one who kills Dany 9then takes the black as punishment) or gets killed by Dany. Which will then lead to her death or madness, etc. She will become paranoid and mad.

He won't sit on the throne. It will likely be Sansa / Arya or Gendry. It won't be Dany or Jon. Once Jon has done whatever it is he is meant to do he will die.

Permabanned
some people can blindly turn off and happily watch something that way if they're a big fan, but I find the more I love something the more critical I am of it; can turn a blind eye to some things but when writing or whatever gets to the levels of stupidity/illogicality that's on display this season, I won't ignore it just because I liked something.

Oh yeah very much the same here. Whilst I CAN choose to ignore it and enjoy it for what it is now, it doesn't mean I won't bother to criticise it. I can choose to be a passive viewer in the moment, but I'll be damned if I won't stick the boot in when it's being discussed openly.

Back
Top Bottom