Danny Baker sacked

Soldato
The only reason why people should be triggered at Danny Baker over this is because of his apparent ignorance, stupidity and naivety over how this could be perceived.

Perceived racism by a non racist guy that genuinely had no idea what he was doing.

However in this day and age.....it is to be expected that he has to walk the plank.

However illogical it may be to label Baker as a racist, the moment anyone shouts 'racist' it has to be expected that the BBC would collectively crap itself and offload him.

Soldato
Agreed. We need to strive for a society where everybody associates Black person and Monkey. We will not eliminate racism until there are no more people like Danny Baker left.

Irrespective of anyone's thoughts on IF people should make this association the fact remains that its there....and it triggers people.

Associate
Irrespective of anyone's thoughts on IF people should make this association the fact remains that its there....and it triggers people.

But the triggering of offence is not a fixed point and is wholly dependant on the fragile nature of the person taking offence. That is why in law there is the person of reasonable firmness test.

An example of this would be Prof Kehinde Andrews who honestly believes the union jack is a racist symbol. By his definition anyone displaying it is making a racist statement and associates them as racists.

Soldato
But the triggering of offence is not a fixed point and is wholly dependant on the fragile nature of the person taking offence. That is why in law there is the person of reasonable firmness test.

An example of this would be Prof Kehinde Andrews who honestly believe the union jack is a racist symbol. By his definition anyone displaying it is making a racist statement.

I don't know you personally but I 100% bet that you wouldn't make a joke like this at your place of employment because you would be aware that in the face of public opinion and the media circus you would know how it could be perceived.

The legalities of it are irrelevant.....

Associate
I don't know you personally but I 100% bet that you wouldn't make a joke like this at your place of employment because you would be aware that in the face of public opinion and the media circus you would know how it could be perceived.

I wouldn't make that joke because I'm an incredibly serious person at work. Unlike Baker I am also not a media personality who's job it is to make jokes and social commentary. The legalities with this are everything as it relates to whether a joke was intentionally or recklessly racist or in bad taste. Baker was sacked before any formal investigation by the BBC.

Now if he breached formal work place behaviour contracts then thats another thing entirely but he should have been subject to a suspension and investigation. That appears to have not happened.

Caporegime
Except that baker didnt associate black people with monkeys because neither Megan nor the baby is black.

Doesn’t matter, that’s not how racism works.

Let’s take black face, it’s not ‘discriminatory’, but it is offensive to one particular group of people who have been discriminated against socially, politically, economically and institutionally. It’s safe to say you shouldn’t do this if you don’t want to be seen as a racist.

It’s the same as comparing them to monkeys, as although it may be mildly accurate considering we are of the same evolutionary group, it’s not really about being... accurate, it’s about calling them beasts. When you add the context, it quickly devolves into immediate worst case scenario.

Because critical thought doesn’t seemingly exist in this century, your going to be fired no matter the intent or your character.

There is a paradox here, that you need to be racist to see the issue in the first place, but it’s a very thin line between not being ignorant and being a piece of ****.

Soldato

The entire point is that he didn't think! He made a mistake. It happens. He saw the joke he wanted to make, made it and then realised how it could be perceived, though "oh ****, should have realised" and removed it.

I have absolutely no doubt that we have all said things that were open to be misinterpreted, come out wrong or had to be apologised for. Its a sad state of affairs where the default situation has become "don't care, you should have know better, you are fired" rather than actually accepting that people sometimes make genuine mistakes.

Capodecina
Soldato
The entire point is that he didn't think! He made a mistake. It happens. He saw the joke he wanted to make, made it and then realised how it could be perceived, though "oh ****, should have realised" and removed it.

I have absolutely no doubt that we have all said things that were open to be misinterpreted, come out wrong or had to be apologised for. Its a sad state of affairs where the default situation has become "don't care, you should have know better, you are fired" rather than actually accepting that people sometimes make genuine mistakes.
I don't think that anybody on here knows precisely what the background to this story is; perhaps the BBC and Mr. Baker didn't enjoy the happiest relationship, perhaps they saw an opportunity to part company with him and took it.

Either way, the elderly Mr. Baker appears to be ill-informed and to suffer from a certain lack of manners and judgement, he should retire from public view and focus on shouting at the TV.

Soldato

I completely agree with you.

It is a sad state of affairs but it is also the reality of the world we live in and we either play ball with this reality or you don't.

Man of Honour
You don't need to associate black people with monkeys. You need to associate comparing black people to monkeys with racism.

Yes, because it's so obviously racist to treat people equally regardless of their "race". We must all strive to judge people not by the content of their character but by the colour of their skin - that's equality there.

Back
Top Bottom