Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site error

Soldato
Has anyone come across this issue before?
I thought it was due to my WiFi link to the PC but after hard wiring the PC I still get this numerous times a day.

The only way to get it to work was by disconnecting my WiFi or disabling the network and then re-enabling it. After a couple of times it keeps a solid connection until I have to reboot.

When it happens, I can't ping anything. I've tried different drivers etc.

Soldato
OP
I've tried changing DNS, tried flushing it also but still the same. Only thing I have noticed is that it shows a random ipv6 address when it happens.

Soldato
Will need some more detail.

What ISP and router is it? What is the network adapter on the PC, for both Wi-Fi and Ethernet? Are you using any Wi-Fi extenders and/or powerlines? Does it happen to other devices on the same network?

The fact that it happens on both Wi-Fi and Ethernet may point the issue to somewhere on the router side.

Soldato
OP
My ISP is Zen and I'm now using an Edgerouter X SFP. The issue existed when I was using a netgear D7000 along with an Asus PCE AC68 card.
This is the only device that it happens to and done it on wireless and wired.
No powerline adapters or wifi extenders in the setup. Just ERX to a switch and everything is hard wired now.

Come to think about it, I think it only started happening when I upgraded to Windows 10.

Soldato
OP
Is everything up to date? Windows updated? Network drivers?

My money is on an old network driver not playing ball with windows 10. How old is the system?

Hmm could be something like that. It is an old system built 2011/2012.
Currently waiting for the Zen 2 release before upgrading so it will have a fresh copy of Windows installed then too.
The drivers were the latest ones I could find anyway.

Permabanned
I have 2 ideas:
1. it's malware so reinstall windows
2. it's a dodgy router, so try another router

I had similar symptoms for a while when using a wired connection which was set to auto-negotiate speed, and it couldn't hold up the gigabit speed so it would keep dropping, or take ages to auto-negotiate. Setting it manually to sync at 100Mbps was more stable but not perfect. Replacing the router was the ultimate answer.

Soldato
OP
I've tried new router, WiFi, cables,malware and virus scans.
It's totally fine now. It's just after I reboot the machine, it has a hissy fit for a day or so requiring me to disable the network and re-enable it again in Windows. Once it's finished being funny it will stay linked for weeks or whenever I reboot it again.
I guess I will find out soon when zen 2 releases and I can build a new setup.

Soldato
OP
No, no fast start up enabled.
My PC is usually on the majority of the time, this issue only appears after a reboot or updates resulting in a reboot.
When it does happen, it does not show any ipv4 address but does show a jumbled up ipv6 address. I don't use ipv6.

Soldato
OP
I have not o don't think and I have been looking at doing that.
I've just left home for a week on holiday so will try when I get home and report back. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom