Road Cycling

Associate
Hi guys
Got the power meter working but something seems wrong I think
I have an Elemnt and in there under activities there is a power tab which shows this
x5umbp.png

Now I have a single side 4iiii and it seems to be reading it as dual.
Any advice on what i did wrong setting it up? The instructions as always are a little vague ( well to me anyway)
JB

Soldato
Can't help with pairing it with Elemnt GPS computer, but don't forget to calibrate the 4iiii before heading off on each ride... Spin the cranks a few times to wake the 4iiii up, stop with the non-drive side crank at 6 o' clock position, then calibrate either with the 4iiii app or possibly a function on your GPS computer.

Soldato
Whole load of nope from me then.

One of the single greatest things on the bike is riding with a small A-Team who look after each other and keep it tight and smooth.

No chance doing that with so much traffic.
Several riders from my club were in a good group and averaged over 23mph for the ride.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2361046367
https://www.strava.com/activities/2361195492

I couldn’t be bothered with the early start so did my own ride later in the day. Half way around my ride it crossed the Velo route so I joined it for about 20 miles (the 60-80 mile section). It was fine there, loads of room on the road and I was flying through. The people cheering on the side of the road makes such a difference - really spurs you on :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone rebuilt or cleaned a double tap shifter before?

Trying to troubleshoot poor shifting/indexing, I was going to replace the gear cable, and removed it.

When I removed the hood I found when you shift multiple gears it rubs the hood a little (I put new SRAM hoods on at Xmas).

This has worn the hood and filled the shifter up with little tiny bits of rubber which must occasionally interfere with the shifting, making it a nightmare to tune.

Wondering if I just blast it with brake cleaner and hope it all falls out, or try a cotton bud or something else. Total disassembly will result in tiny pieces everywhere I think!

Edit: https://bikerumor.com/2015/11/22/hack-how-to-prevent-sram-doubletap-shifter-levers-from-sticking/

This is similar just my shifter is/was full of crap. Used a combo of cotton buds and brake cleaner, should be v clean now and will apply some grease as best I can onto the cogs of the shifting mech tomorrow.

Edit: just like this!

https://vimeo.com/38310621/description

Last edited:
Soldato
Even the Fred had a lot of overcrowding at the start. Not closed roads so can't really use the other side of the road with traffic but people were spread out all over the place. Up Kirkstone Pass there were people across the whole road... luckily as it was early not much traffic but some questionable choices of road positioning. We basically spent the first 5-10 miles picking through the crowds and we only started 10 mins later than the earliest start time.

Hardknott Pass looks like it was a mess when lots of people got to it.
ToxNA3u.png 2ixX5jo.png

Soldato
The Velo Birmingham ride sounds like a nightmare simply due to the overcrowding and such a mixture of abilities with some no doubt pushing way outside their normal pace?

From seeing a few Strava uploads it's now becoming clear that the first 3, 4 maybe even 5 waves got a pretty clear run, then kinda wave 6 onwards it started to clog up. I was dead last and spent a lot of time looking for gaps to pass/squeeze by, then by default being at the back you ran into every bit of drama.

As said - I'd do it again for sure, but only if there was a sure fire way of getting into an early wave to get clearer roads. I don't want to pay £85 to be unclipped and half sat on my top tube.

Soldato
From seeing a few Strava uploads it's now becoming clear that the first 3, 4 maybe even 5 waves got a pretty clear run, then kinda wave 6 onwards it started to clog up. I was dead last and spent a lot of time looking for gaps to pass/squeeze by, then by default being at the back you ran into every bit of drama.

As said - I'd do it again for sure, but only if there was a sure fire way of getting into an early wave to get clearer roads. I don't want to pay £85 to be unclipped and half sat on my top tube.

If you ride for the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Charity you get into an early wave. I was in Red 1 which started at 0700 and was pretty clear.

Soldato
Make sure to use a sram or 1.1mm cable.

Had a few were 1.2mm caused drag.

Well I found a little guide on the SRAM site which gave some hints for greasing the shifter. Did that and the nightmare that is internally routed cables. It seems to be all sorted but I will have to test ride it to be sure, as long as I didn’t cross the cables in the frame I’ll be laughing. I didn’t remove the FD cable so potentially could have wrapped the RD round the other but I’d feel that by hand I’m sure and it just wouldn’t work well.

When I had it all apart I thought the steering felt a little rough, that’ll be a new set of headset bearings then... I wasn’t exactly enamoured with the quality of the OE ones, the lower one is shot and the top has a little surface corrosion. I used to have Cane Creeks in my old R5 frame after the OE ones wore out and really rated them but think they have gone bust and NLA.

My next rant is, why is it so bloody difficult to list the bearings in the manual. They just aren’t listed anywhere, just says FSA 1 1/8 - 1 1/2” on the Cevelo site, not in the frame manual or the fork manual. No mention of the chamfer angles or anything else grrrr

Soldato
The joys of modern bikes mate, we had a Merida Reacto carbon in that was easiest to just pull the fork and BB to run new cables. Used to be a 5 minute job on external bikes with the old style shifter, even for under tape cables to be honest.

We were talking about this last week regarding the spec sheets - it should be like a a proper manual with a bike telling you the wheel bearings, headset bearings with even a guide on best practise for routing cables.

So many bikes just comes with a box of bits and you're left to decide what to do. Kinesis 4s disc I built last week I decided with my own judgement that I would route the right shifter over to the left port to give the smoothest cable run and had to do what you did to make sure no gear cables crossed each other or got under the brake hose either.

For bearings these guys seem pretty widely stocked https://www.airevelobearings.com/product-category/headset-bearing-kits/

They, and anywhere else for that matter, still didn't have top and bottom bearings for a Venge that been sat in the shop for about a month now :o

Soldato
Spent all morning researching. I had seen that website thanks.

The new R series shares bearings with the C series and P5X.

1 1/8 - 1 1/2” IS2 FSA is all Cervelo tell you. I pulled the bearings but the markings have rubbed/corrosion and can’t be read.

Ceramic speed do aftermarket bearings and list different thickness of bearings compared to the FSA.

Obviously you don’t want one that is too thin as the fork will bind against the frame.

Cane Creek don’t seem to offer a bearing in that size.

Upper is a 30.15x41x7.1 (FSA). Ceramic speed is 6.5mm thick which can be accommodated no problem with the retaining ring.

Lower 40x51.8x7.5 (FSA) (Cane Creek only offer 6.5mm thick). Some manufacturers offer 52mm OD. I cannot see 0.2mm making a difference and the frame tolerance taking that up.

My plan is to go to Winstanleys and take the bearings, I think I can get another lower FSA direct replacement. The upper I think a standard Cane Creek 40 series will fit which is shared with my P3. Not 100% on the inner chamfer angle but would just require a different lock ring if it was a 45 not a 36 anyway?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi guys, I'm now back from my hols in Kos! Miss me much? :D

Basically - 8 days of flights/travel and all inclusive. Fantastic trip and amazing resort/food considering price. Spent most of it 'avoiding the spotty ones' (chicken pox doing the rounds in the resort and my little man hasn't had it and still hasn't! Result!). But the crazy amount of food and drink I've eaten with the reduction in exercise (nothing but some walking/exploring) my weigh in this morning was at 78.9kg (a week before I went I was 76.2kg). Hopefully most of that is water as I got caught with a bout of food poisoning from a ham&cheese sandwich eaten at the airport before departing. I'm about over that now but feeling drained I may skip any serious riding until the weekend. I'm sure my little man still being on 'Kos Time' (2 hours in front) and waking up at 4.30am hasn't helped that much with that...!

Kos was an interesting place. I really should have looked to hire a road bike as easily spotted one from a bike rentals place without even looking a day before we left. The majority of bikes there all being MTB/hybrid types and there being many many hire shops for those around. There where a lot of people riding. The island is frequented by Germans and I also heard dutch spoken on several occasions so very much their utilitarian type riding around. Most of the 'A' type roads having a dedicated cycle lane at the side. Roads very quiet regardless and drivers seemed to not be in a hurry & leave lots of room to cyclists. The road surfaces where not great when away from the main roads but certainly passable on a road bike (gravel bike would be ideal). Not many huge/long climbs there but with the island only being 25 miles long (and 5 wide) I imagine you would be doing loops around the same climbs multiple directions. Probably good for a single day or two's jaunt, but not for a specific training holiday.

This would have been easily in reach to climb the hills I could see from resort in Marmari. Even this climb on the main road back towards the airport would've been fantastic to ride - loads of wide cycle path at the side and a great surface.

Looks like there is/was a UCI Kos Race?

That would be me mate, have accepted your request
No worries, can't remember if I accepted you or denied you and now can't find it, send again! :)

I'm ready to launch my bike out the window. The front derailer is massively rubbing and no amount of adjustment to the FD is doing anything. Also, can't get the rear indexed but, think this is due to the extreme chain rub at the front.
Double check it's not moved on the frame mount - it could have been caught by something and bent or just pushed out of position.

I'm actually really curious to try one of the E road bikes. Some of them are pretty light considering the motor/battery too. Though, I feel like a legal one would be boring apart from uphill. 15.5mph and the motor cuts out :/
Before I went on hols I did a group ride with a guy on one. A Bianchi Aria. The guy was now-retired paralympian Sascha Kindred, he's partly paralyised down his right hand side with very little power in his right arm and right leg. He actually has a bar end shifter fitted to his left drop so he doesn't need to change hand position with his right hand, only needing to use it for braking. The mode he had his motor on (medium?) 'cuts out' at over 25kph but was giving him +160W assist on the slower stuff. I spent some time chatting with him, very interesting guy, so matter of fact and so modest. I knew who he was but hadn't really appreciated just how much he'd won until looking afterwards! Also helped him out as much as I could as found with the terrain around here and it being a fast-ish group ride he'd get dropped on the rolling type stuff, he just wasn't getting any assist into the base of any gradient so really like he had no 'momentum' to carry him up them, the assist only kicking in when he was already dropped from the group. Really was like he had a brake on at times, really difficult to help him with a wheel! The climbs he fared fine with, anything to drop the speed of the group or string it out enough he could close his own gaps. Good fun and training for me.

That is completely fine with me, and the reason they should be made/used.

For fat and lazy people, no. Just no.
I like the idea of 'assisted' on the stuff they struggle with - the slow stuff (commuting) and climbs. I'm of the opinion of whatever gets people out on bikes - I really like the idea of them assisting people to ride further, opening up more opportunities for them. Making them enjoy cycling more and riding more!

Shropshire Cycling Clubs Association run a TT series and last week they had a 25 miler...

https://shropshirecca.uk/friction-hydraulics-series-r5-nova-raiders-25/

Some bloke called Steve Cummins turns up and wins by 5 minutes (with a 3 minute course record) :D Love the quote from the guy who came 3rd:
Haha amazing!

Gents, I have having a nightmare finding a decent pair of bib shorts for a reasonable price, can't stretch to the price of Rapha or Assos.

I have tried the decathlon shorts, even on a 1hr ride my sit bones hurt, tried the dhb classics from wiggle - these were no better than the decathlon and I would say a thinner pad, I returned them, not sure what all the great reviews are for those but the pad is rubbish.

budget is under £100 if possible.<snip>
I've been through much of this and have a particularly sensitive rear end. I've been through DHB, Northwave, Santini, Gore, Altura, Castelli, Sportful, Rapha & Nopins shorts. For myself the only ones I rate would be Rapha, Sportful and Castelli. With that budget and for multiple hours in the saddle I'd suggest the Rapha Core (maybe even the Rapha Brevet if you can find in a deal or SH) and anything Sportful with the 'BodyFit Pro' pad. I can go into more individual indepth if you really want but pads are a very individual thing. I sit quite heavy on the saddle and do rock/roll in the saddle more than others, probably where my particular 'sensitivity' to pads comes from.

On another note, without a cycle computer/HR/cadence monitor is the Strava upgrade worth it?
If you mean 'Summit' then totally down to you, doesn't really give you much when out on the road ('Live Segments' are about it?), it's more the data analysis afterwards it gives you more.

Well done to all of you who did Velo Birmingham, hope you all escaped unscathed from what sounded like an utter idiotic chopping crash fest. Two of the people I know who rode it where knocked off by other idiots overcooking descents/half wheeling and coming down in front of them. All of the comments I've read make it sound like utter carnage! Such a shame.

Last edited:
Soldato
he just wasn't getting any assist into the base of any gradient so really like he had no 'momentum' to carry him up them, the assist only kicking in when he was already dropped from the group.
I hadn't thought of that one but I guess it's not a real issue for them outside of group rides. Hopefully laws might be changed at some point to allow over 15.5mph before assistance cuts out.

Soldato
He was absolutely loving it, he even commented he 'loved cycling more than swimming'! :D

But also all he'd done for 25 years was swimming and training so was relishing the change and challenge. But he did admit without the e-assist he couldn't ride with the club as just hasn't got the power due to his disability. Perfect e-Bike candidate!

Last edited:
Soldato
Spent all morning researching. I had seen that website thanks.

The new R series shares bearings with the C series and P5X.

1 1/8 - 1 1/2” IS2 FSA is all Cervelo tell you. I pulled the bearings but the markings have rubbed/corrosion and can’t be read.

Ceramic speed do aftermarket bearings and list different thickness of bearings compared to the FSA.

Obviously you don’t want one that is too thin as the fork will bind against the frame.

Cane Creek don’t seem to offer a bearing in that size.

Upper is a 30.15x41x7.1 (FSA). Ceramic speed is 6.5mm thick which can be accommodated no problem with the retaining ring.

Lower 40x51.8x7.5 (FSA) (Cane Creek only offer 6.5mm thick). Some manufacturers offer 52mm OD. I cannot see 0.2mm making a difference and the frame tolerance taking that up.

My plan is to go to Winstanleys and take the bearings, I think I can get another lower FSA direct replacement. The upper I think a standard Cane Creek 40 series will fit which is shared with my P3. Not 100% on the inner chamfer angle but would just require a different lock ring if it was a 45 not a 36 anyway?

Sounds like a plan yeah, usually 41mm bearings are 36x45 but may well be completely different.

Bottom IS52 is just rounded up and usually 45/45 too.

Have fun :D

Soldato
A mate's headset had some play and he managed to get it sorted by tightening it up more but the top bearing cover was still sitting proud of the frame on one side. I took it apart and found the top bearing swimming in the frame "cup".

There was at least a mm either side of the bearing... Bike shop he took it to before must have just found any old bearing on the side instead of working out the correct one :mad:

Back
Top Bottom