Which Curved Monitor

Associate
Hi,

I'm as bit of a noob with computer gaming with regards to what goes into a rig.

So I have a budget of £1200 for a new monitor. Would prefer a curved screen. I'm running a single nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition 8GB. Pretty much use it solely for gaming.

Suggestions welcomed.

Soldato
Are you really,really sure you want a curved monitor?

All I'd say is if you are, I'd only recommend one of the 3440x1440p super wide panels and definitely NOT one of the 32 inch, 2560x1440p VA panels that have flooded the market in the last year. They're all pretty terrible,IMO. After having gone through four of the damn things from all the usual manufacturers and returned them all for looking terrible on the windows desktop, 2560x1440p on a 32 inch panel just looks bad,the DPI is too low and more so on a curved screen plus all of the panels had really bad smearing/ghosting in fast moving games.

Soldato
Are you really,really sure you want a curved monitor?

All I'd say is if you are, I'd only recommend one of the 3440x1440p super wide panels and definitely NOT one of the 32 inch, 2560x1440p VA panels that have flooded the market in the last year. They're all pretty terrible,IMO. After having gone through four of the damn things from all the usual manufacturers and returned them all for looking terrible on the windows desktop, 2560x1440p on a 32 inch panel just looks bad,the DPI is too low and more so on a curved screen plus all of the panels had really bad smearing/ghosting in fast moving games.

The smearing/ghosting is common with VA monitors panels yes ?

Caporegime
The smearing/ghosting is common with VA monitors panels yes ?

I've got a Samsung 34J791 and although I'm not a fan of VA in general I can't say I see much smearing or ghosting. Motion admittedly isn't as good as my previous 165Hz TN panel but the shortcomings of TN were too great.

It cost me £450 and I have to say it seems pretty good value.

I'd have preferred IPS but glow and bleed issues seem more common on IPS UW compared to VA UW.

Soldato
A 1080 is going to struggle ta 4K.

Why do people continue to spout this ignorant twaddle? Games will run just fine at 4K on a 1080. You might not be able to run the most modern games at max settings - there are technologies like RTX and Hairworks that that will cripple any GPU - but you will with older games. I've been gaming at 4K since the 780 Ti.

Caporegime
Why do people continue to spout this ignorant twaddle? Games will run just fine at 4K on a 1080. You might not be able to run the most modern games at max settings - there are technologies like RTX and Hairworks that that will cripple any GPU - but you will with older games. I've been gaming at 4K since the 780 Ti.

I own a 1080 and a 1440P UW and I can tell you from experience I wouldn't want to got to 4K. You're going be dropping below 60FPS on modern games regularly unless your dial down settings.

Yes ofcourse you can dial settings down to get things playable but that's going to become more and more of an issue acutely. May as well be honest about it, the 1080 is not a strong card at 4K, especially if you want high refresh rates, let the OP decide.

Soldato
You're going be dropping below 60FPS on modern games regularly unless your dial down settings.

And what exactly is the problem with that? GSync and Freesync pick up some of the workload but most people will be hard-pressed to tell the difference between High graphics settings and Ultra graphics settings so you'll still get 60 fps. Further, high DPI monitors mean you don't need many post-processing techniques like super-sampling and anti-aliasing, for a further increase in frame rates.

I'm guessing that you haven't gamed at 4K. It's awesome.

Back
Top Bottom