New Toyota Supra formally announced

Don
So what is it then? In Doug's review he states the Supra has much less power than the Z4 with the same engine.

B58B30M1: 250 kW (335 HP)[edit]
Applications:

• 2018-present G05 X5 xDrive40i/sDrive40i[16]
  • 2018-present G07 X7 xDrive40i
  • 2018-present G29 Z4 M40i (in countries subject to EU emissions standards)[17]
  • 2019-present G20 M340i (in countries subject to EU emissions standards)
  • 2019-present A90/J29 Toyota Supra
  • 2020 Morgan Plus Six[18]
B58B30O1: 285 kW (382 HP)[edit]
Applications:

• 2018-present G29 Z4 M40i (in countries not subject to EU emissions standards)
  • 2019-present G20 M340i (in countries not subject to EU emissions standards)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_B58

Soldato
50k must be mad.

How much are these going to lose in the first year.

Not a lot I bet. Sporty Toyotas hold their values pretty strongly.

An M2 is around the same price new, a year later worth 35k. I bet these Supras are still 40k+ after a year. Part of the reason being they will be quite rare, whereas BMWs are everywhere.

I love how Toyota put a fire extinguisher in it though lol. Is that because it's a BMW? :p

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s a BMW Z4 coupe in many many many ways.

But come with Toyota 5 year warranty too.
It's also a Toyota in many, many, many ways too.

As with the GT86 / BRZ, it's a combined effort but the individual manufacturers have done their own work on the cars to make them genuinely different. But this is the internet so, omg it's the same thing just with a different skin!!!!oneone etc.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
In a way it's similar to the small uproar from Aston enthusiasts about the new Vantage V8 having an AMG engin and other Mercedes stuff. But at least Aston fettled with everything to make it stand out more. That's not so much the case with the Supra aside from the body styling.

I think the point most are making is that it's a BMW everywhere inside the cabin (forgetting the same engine for a sec), because it's lifted off the BMW right down to the indicator stalks. The BRZ/GT86 are Japanese cars inside and out with Japanese engines.

As Chris Harris says, it's no longer got the Japanese DNA, what made the original typically Japanese.

Soldato
The BRZ/GT86 was two Japanese manufacturers so of course they are going to be 'Japanese inside and out'. What a silly statement to make.

With the Z4/Supra, BMW and Toyota have shared the same base platform and a lot of interior components but the chassis setup, largely suspension and handling which are the key things that really defines a car to drive have been done differently by BMW and Toyota so it does 'have DNA' it's just not built from the ground up by a Japanese manufacturer.

Harris is an angry little man about most things so take anything he says with a massive pinch of salt. He's becoming more and more like Clarkson in that sort of sense, which is a shame as he was a half decent journo and content producer.

Soldato
The BRZ/GT86 was two Japanese manufacturers so of course they are going to be 'Japanese inside and out'. What a silly statement to make.

With the Z4/Supra, BMW and Toyota have shared the same base platform and a lot of interior components but the chassis setup, largely suspension and handling which are the key things that really defines a car to drive have been done differently by BMW and Toyota so it does 'have DNA' it's just not built from the ground up by a Japanese manufacturer.

Harris is an angry little man about most things so take anything he says with a massive pinch of salt. He's becoming more and more like Clarkson in that sort of sense, which is a shame as he was a half decent journo and content producer.

+100 sums it up imo!

these reviewers drive me nuts lately, often missing the point by a mile.

Soldato
Doesn't say much about the standard of the Japanese car industry at the moment, if the best they have to offer is a reworked BMW. Stuff like the Supras (GTO, 300ZX, Skyline) used to be real statements of intent from Japan. Toyota has vast resources, what are they doing with them?

Are they gearing up for driverless cars or robotics instead?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I think I still trust Harris' opinion over the internet though. He has the experience of thrashing these cars and giving his opinion. Clarkson on the other hand has always admitted to not being a skilled driver, he just has /opinions/, like them or not.

It was more a comment on the above where people all over are saying about the lack of Japanese feel of the car in the cabin and other areas.

Doesn't say much about the standard of the Japanese car industry at the moment, if the best they have to offer is a reworked BMW. Stuff like the Supras (GTO, 300ZX, Skyline) used to be real statements of intent from Japan. Toyota has vast resources, what are they doing with them?

Are they gearing up for driverless cars or robotics instead?

Its all about scale and sales. These cars cost a fortune to develop, and as much as many fanboys would love one, the number they actually sell is low.
There is some talk about if there is even going to be a MK4 TT from the forums and its one of the most popular cars in the segment.

Soldato
I think it looks brilliant and were I in the market for a brand new sports car it would definitely be on my short list, sadly above the new Z4. Decat + Remap this thing will be an absolute B Road weapon. I wish there was a more inspiring interior option though, black everywhere is pretty dull and the steering wheel looks too big imo.

Back
Top Bottom