UK made cars or parts made in UK?

Soldato
Don't know if still the case.

But I am sure that in the past. Volvo made a big thing about how UK/Sweden trade as regards Volvo was pretty balanced as a consequence of Volvo components manufactured in the UK and exported to Sweden essentially balancing the value of finished Volvo cars imported to the UK.

Come on, can you really not see why someone who's business suffered as a direct result of Brexit might want to support other British companies which have quite likely suffered similar?

And, more to the point, the best possibility for ensuring a successful future economy in a post-brexit world is to encourage and support home-grown operations. (Whether you are a remainer or not)

However, It seems remainers actually want a post-Brexit economy to fail so that they can sit back and say "We told you so". Not a very nice bunch really! Talk about wanting to watch the world burn and all that!

Caporegime
A Toyota built in derby is probably better for U.K. than a JLR built in Slovakia. Looking at suppliers, employees tax contributions etc

Soldato
OP
Well this thread took a strange turn. I honestly don't know the in's and out's of how it affected my uncles business aside from the fact that costs for what he made started to go up due to weaker pound, as he had been wanting to sell for years there was a big drop in the offer price for his business due to upcoming Brexit and the uncertainties of trade deals following it. And he just wanted to support UK workers with my mum's purchase. We certainly weren't in the position to argue.

As has already been said, deposit has been paid for the Jag and expecting delivery mid to end of June.

Soldato
OP
It’s a strange requirement and he’s ended up buying a car that wasn’t built in the Uk

But the engine is, so i'm assuming that's good enough for him as there aren't that many decent SUV cars built in the UK. The best tend to be the Volvo, BMW, Merc and Audi etc of which none is built in the UK.

Caporegime
I used to think Chinese parts were pure garbage, and did EVERYTHING I could to avoid them. Then I had the further misfortune to experience INDIAN MANUFACTURED parts, and lord almighty they made the Chinese ones look precision made from the purest of Earths materials.

I would not even use an Indian manufacturered rear suspension arm to wrap around an attackers face during a mugging.

Well that’s odd because India is another country where many highly respected brands get their manufacturing done, just like China. Could it be that you’re a cheap arse and expected quality for your 50p suspension arm?

Soldato
Well that’s odd because India is another country where many highly respected brands get their manufacturing done, just like China. Could it be that you’re a cheap arse and expected quality for your 50p suspension arm?

Both China and India are going through similar changes in their own "Industrial Revolutions" that Britain did in the 18th and 19th century.

Back then, We made some good stuff and a whole lot of crap too.

Places like Sheffield became world famous for high quality cutlery/steel but even then, 90% of the stuff coming out of Sheffield at that time was probably rubbish.

India's reputation for "Highly variable QC" ( ;) :p ) is well known. But that doesn't mean that Indian companies cannot produce top quality stuff when they want too. You just have to be careful and pick the right manufacturer.

Ditto China!

Soldato
If you want to see first-hand the utter cheap trash produced by China, load up the wish.com app on your phone.

Again, cheap =/= trash.

There is a vast diference between "Factory Gate" prices and "Full Retail".

The effective globalisation of direct factory sales is driving down retail prices by cutting out all the middle men. The idea that you can buy manufactured goods direct from the factory gate of the company who made them on the far side of the globe via operations like Ali-Baba is really quite new and has transformed the ease with which retail buyers can access factory gate prices.

(And will transform the pricing of manufactured goods even more in the future)

Over 20 years ago, I was told by "Somebody in the know" that even in the UK, a factory in the UK was providing WW wiper motors for a <Well Known> UK based VM for £1.35/Unit. Full retail at that time would have been around 70-90 times that.

Cheap stuff has always been cheap. It is just that in the past, retail buyers had no realistic access to it at the factory gate prices. Now we do!

Back
Top Bottom