How much money would change your life?

Soldato
That is the most retarded scenario I've ever heard of.

You would spend 16 hours on a plane just for a coffee in one of the busiest cities in the world where it would likely take you 30 minutes standing in a queue to be served after waiting 2 hours in traffic from the airport then another 2 hours back.

What a complete waste. Fair enough if it was to watch a world heavyweight title or something but to do it for a coffee which would likely be crap anyway would be a waste of life.

You aren't going to get that day back you just spent 20+ hours travelling.

There is always some one who takes what is written as gospel. -That was an example of what you could do and not even blink at the cost - I could have put any city down -it was first one to come to mind. I could have stayed there for weeks in best hotel and still not worried about the cost if you see what I mean - You read too much into it. We are all on pretend.

My Mom and Dad went to NY -stayed there 24 or 12hrs (so long ago I can't remember) and came back home - it was on the QE2 not long after it's launch and was national prize at Bingo.

Soldato
Eh?

Half a mill is plenty enough to buy a decent house in London.

Probably not in a nice area though. (Or no-where near a tube station) It would get you a nice flat in a nice area.

**EDIT** Fair enough, I see further replies. I don't know South London at all tbh. I don't think half a million goes far North of the river... again, in nice areas.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
£250K, it would buy me a house so i could stop peeing away £6.5K a year on rent which makes my eyes water as i don't earn a great deal in the first place.

Caporegime
Probably not in a nice area though. (Or no-where near a tube station) It would get you a nice flat in a nice area.

**EDIT** Fair enough, I see further replies. I don't know South London at all tbh. I don't think half a million goes far North of the river... again, in nice areas.
South London is a good place to live imo. Certain places like lewisham and Woolwich should be avoided, but there’s plenty of really nice places to live for reasonable prices. Greenwich is a great place, lots of history, culture, great pubs and restaurants, a beautiful royal park and trains and DLR into central London in 20 mins or so. It’s one of the places to be in London for me.

Man of Honour
South London is a good place to live imo. Certain places like lewisham and Woolwich should be avoided, but there’s plenty of really nice places to live for reasonable prices. Greenwich is a great place, lots of history, culture, great pubs and restaurants, a beautiful royal park and trains and DLR into central London in 20 mins or so. It’s one of the places to be in London for me.

I remember when there used to be a board up in Lewisham (police or council I think) that had a count of the number of murders in the last week or month or something - it was never at zero. (I used to live in Grove Park for a bit).

I always found south London a bit odd in that respect in that you could have one street that was really nice and another really rough not 5 minutes apart but they might as well have existed in different universes - very rare for trouble from one area to spill into another and some really nice parts around there.

Soldato
£600k

Pay off mortgage
Use the remainder to supplement military earned pension - meaning i could leave work now and have around £30k per year income without getting out of bed :)
Enough for a 'rainy day' fund.

Soldato
While I'd love to win millions and never worry about lack of money. I'd be happy with enough to buy a nice house in the village my fiancée is from and afford a family holiday somewhere foreign every year.

Soldato
  • £125k would pay off the mortgage on my wife's flat and then we could use the income from renting that to pay off the mortgage on our house a bit quicker.
  • £250k would pay off the mortgage on our house and we could then clear the mortgage on the flat much faster.
  • £375k would pay off both and then we'd be laughing.
All three of those scenarios would be 'life changing' but wouldn't negate the need for us to continue working. In order to do that, you would be looking at big-jackpot lottery winning type numbers.

Caporegime
If I HAD to continue to work, as opposed to have the choice to choose to work then the amount that is enough to pay off the mortgage isn't life changing, not enough really.

I need enough money to pay off the mortgage, and all associated bills for the house for the rest of my life, including estimate food cost as well...and then a lump sum on top of that.

Then it would be life changing. Then money would not be a factor in daily living.

Associate
For me i'd be over the moon if i had £30k to clear my debts, would make a huge difference to my monthly money available.

Another £30k on top of that so i could have a deposit for home would be life changing.

Obviously anything more than that would be awesome

Man of Honour

I’d agree about Greenwich, I’ve always thought of that as a great place to live, particularly the area to the south and east of the National Maritime Museum, Crooms Hill, Vanbrugh Park, up toward Blackheath.
Downside being its proximity to Deptford, to the west of Greenwich Creekside.
I’m in Rotherhithe, and I wouldn’t fancy going east of there, you’d have difficulty finding a desirable place under one mill along the river from Tower Bridge to the Deptford border with Rotherhithe.

Associate
If I won enough money to equal my current salary, per year, for the rest of my life - that would be life changing enough for me. Not having to go to work for 8 hours a day, but still not have to make any changes to my quality of life I would say would be pretty life changing. Obviously the mansion with a swimming pool is the extreme, but I don't think it has to be that to be 'life changing'.

Soldato
I remember when there used to be a board up in Lewisham (police or council I think) that had a count of the number of murders in the last week or month or something - it was never at zero. (I used to live in Grove Park for a bit).
Where/when the hell was that? I used to work in Lewisham for a little under ten years and never saw that.

Back
Top Bottom