Do you bay leaf bro?

Soldato
OP
Also, keep dried leaves out of direct sunlight and sealed from the air, like all herbs and spices. They lose flavour over time too. But fresh is best.

Dried leaves can be frozen. I put my jar in the freezer.
Also, dried has the advantage of longer storage.

"While the flavor results of fresh vs. dried bay leaves are not that different, fresh bay leaves are often much more expensive and do not last as long as dried bay leaves."

Soldato
Dried leaves can be frozen. I put my jar in the freezer.
but there's no moisture to freeze ? I would expect the condensation from room air, when removing a few would be more detrimental.
using a (vacuuvin) vacuum container would be better to avoid oxidation.

Soldato
lol ... when you fish the leaves out, and lick them, you know what the taste is ...

- with dry leaves, unless it's a long simmer/leave it overnight, the flavours not going to get out.

Soldato
haven't bought them in years now, found i would use a couple then they would lie in the cupboard
have never experimented to see if there is much difference but doubt there would be a lot
sorry bay leaves, i'm leavings you bye bye

Associate
Bay leaves flavour will mainly be noticeable in fatty foods. Try making a bechamel sauce without a bay leaf and you will notice the difference. Almost to the point that it is tasteless

Soldato
I've got a small bay tree outside the back door. Easy to pop out and snip a couple of leaves off when cooking. I'd agree the dried leaves from the supermarket don't have much flavour, but fresh ones are great.

Back
Top Bottom