Advice on silent (quiet) power supplies

Soldato
It's the same innards as the Focus IIRC just. But more selectable options on the semi passive mode, and only starts up at 50% load, so should be completely silent unless I'm gaming.

Well, i normally buy 135/140mm units for silent purposes - this is my first 'duplo brick sized' PSU and putting my ear close to the case the fan is audible when not in passive mode. With the case under desk and soundproofed - it's silent. And obviously it's silent in passive mode until loaded.

I, agree, with the warranty length to a degree - but when doubling the warranty length takes you to 10 years that's quite a jump - and would hopefully negate the any concerns if you were to reduce your swap outs (especially as you hold onto other components for lengthy periods, a quality PSU should match duration).

From your criteria - i would opt for whatever the reviews allude to as the quietest all round performer.

Soldato
OP
Pretty much decided on the superflower, judging by the reviews it's too good at that price point to not get :D
Shame there isn't anything on the MM haha

Soldato
The Seasonic is the better unit and has a MTTF of 150,000 hours, at that price is does not even take any thinking about.

Superflower don't even quote MTTF numbers, at least I can't find them.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The Seasonic is the better unit and has a MTTF of 150,000 hours, at that price is does not even take any thinking about.

Superflower don't even quote MTTF numbers, at least I can't find them.

Regarding the seasonic being the better unit every review I come across has the quality of the superflower at extremely high levels with no skimping. I haven't been able to find MTTF numbers either but it seems the later evga supernova models use the leadex gold as the oem

Soldato
If your worried about noise from the Seasonic, I actually have that exact unit but in the silver colour, and it's dead silent on my computer.

Last edited:
Associate
I bought an ax1600i to have a silent PSU. The fan never spins up since the 9900k and 1080ti don't tax the PSU enough to make it need to. Completely silent, not just quiet.

Obviously this comes at a much higher cost so it is not practical here, but I mention it because you may be able to do it with a cheaper unit. If you know your PC only draws say, 400w and you can find a PSU that wont spin up its fan until 600w then you've got a silent unit.

Soldato
OP
After having installed my new PSU (the superflower one) I am amazed by the comparative noise levels. At idle and low power usage settings the only thing I can hear is the low hum or the hdd's and the fans which are running around 400RPM. (im less than a ft from the pc). Was a really good purchase very happy with it :)

Soldato
After having installed my new PSU (the superflower one) I am amazed by the comparative noise levels. At idle and low power usage settings the only thing I can hear is the low hum or the hdd's and the fans which are running around 400RPM. (im less than a ft from the pc). Was a really good purchase very happy with it :)
Good to hear.

Yep, that can be annoying for some people - they get rid of what was the overriding noise and then they can suddenly hear all the other background noises they couldn't hear before.

You'll be bungee cording your HDDs next and buying silent wings/Noctuas...

Associate
I know it's since been superseded but my EVGA 850w G2 PSU has an eco mode that will stop the fan under certain load/temperature thresholds.

Even still, the fan is that quiet that I just leave the eco mode OFF and have the fan running all the time. The other fans/HDDs in the system easily overpower any noise from the PSU and typically I only have 1x 120mm and 1x 140mm fans running at slow speed. You might hear the PSU with your ear next to it but when installed in the case, no chance.

I'm also running a EVGA G2 with the silent mode activated - it is excellent and takes a game running to get the fan going. The only problem is it shows just how noisy mechanical drives are.

Don
To make my pc quiet..

Absolutely no hard drives, bottom line.

BeQuiet Darkpower PSU.
Notcua fans for CPU cooler and case fans.
Custom made 5V / 12V button on case.

When I'm playing games, I hit the 12V switch so the fairly quiet Noctuas run at full speed. At 5V, my PC is as silent as I want it to be.

Since I have an SLI setup, I always run in 12V when gaming.

Soldato
Custom made 5V / 12V button on case.

When I'm playing games, I hit the 12V switch so the fairly quiet Noctuas run at full speed...
What, no Aquaero to automatically control fans basing on temperatures?
Price shouldn't be obstacle if you can afford Noctua fans and SLI.

Soldato
No one plays games without headphones :cool:
You do with small kids - otherwise you end up having a minor myocardial infarction every time they wake up unexpectedly and sneak in for cuddles/reassurance while you're fully immersed in a game. I think i've invented a new word - "MotherFuloozer!" - it's been a bit close at times... :D

I'm genuinely terrified of playing games with headphones in my house - probably for the next 6 years. I blame the wife as she thinks it's hilarious - so the kids have a free pass at trying to kill Dad when he thinks he finally has a little down time, as i still listen to music exclusively via headphones. Although, i'm on full alert: eyes wide open and all entrances within peripheral vision. Admittedly, not the most relaxing listening experience but better, that, than listening to Radiohead with buds in the back of an ambulance.

Associate
I know people that do. I wouldn't, but then I also game at 240hz on a 1080p monitor and people here throw scorn at that.

To each their own.

I also ramp up the fans while I game but it hasn't really been needed yet. Perhaps come summer I'll start seeing the temps rising.

Associate
You do with small kids - otherwise you end up having a minor myocardial infarction every time they wake up unexpectedly and sneak in for cuddles/reassurance while you're fully immersed in a game. I think i've invented a new word - "MotherFuloozer!" - it's been a bit close at times... :D

I'm genuinely terrified of playing games with headphones in my house - probably for the next 6 years. I blame the wife as she thinks it's hilarious - so the kids have a free pass at trying to kill Dad when he thinks he finally has a little down time, as i still listen to music exclusively via headphones. Although, i'm on full alert: eyes wide open and all entrances within peripheral vision. Admittedly, not the most relaxing listening experience but better, that, than listening to Radiohead with buds in the back of an ambulance.
Hahaha, this is so true. :D

Back
Top Bottom