Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

V_R

V_R

Soldato
You’re welcome to discuss episode leaks BUT these must be in spoiler tags and labelled properly e.g

Insert spoilerific text here. I like turtles

Just a friendly reminder... anyone posting details of the leaks / spoilers will be banned.

We appreciate that you may want to discuss things, so please make sure to use the spoiler tags AND make sure the tags are properly titled, so posters know what they’re clicking.

Like this...

So very bald :D

So which is it? Leaks or no leaks?

Man of Honour
The problem with the leaks is that someone could accidentally, or perhaps not so accidentally post the leak as part of their prediction. Someone already did a few pages back - it could either have been in knowledge of the leak or a lucky guess.

Soldato
Just a friendly reminder... anyone posting details of the leaks / spoilers in the thread without the use of spoiler tags will be banned.

We appreciate that you may want to discuss things, so please MAKE SURE to use the spoiler tags AND make sure the tags are properly titled, so posters know what they’re clicking.

There will be no second chances.

Like this...

So very bald :D
would help if you didn't put the spoiler in the tag title though.

Permabanned
Whichever way the writers write there are going to be people unhappy at it. If Danny hadn't gone crazy people would say it was predictable, at least there are a few twists.

As I've said before, very few people are complaining about the plot points themselves. The criticism is largely mad up of people who believe the pacing has been woeful this season (and last imo).

Just look at what they did with Cersei. 6 seasons of solid character build up before she became totally unhinged, and she was pretty far gone to begin with.

Associate
Seems a very marmite season.

Ozzy man review, similar to last week, had me nodding along as felt largely the same. Rather bemused by the backlash.
That episode, taken in isolation, would in other seasons be absolutely lauded. What's changed? Maybe because the series is ending?

I really think it's peoples thoughts about how it should end not meeting expectations that's triggering some of this. Especially after how the NK was dealt with. Every. single. thing. is getting picked apart. "The dragon seeking ballista don't work anymore!" "AHMAHGAWWWD, how's that horse alive trolololol, this is last jedi bad."

It's not. Not even close to that bad.

Anyway, good point was raised in his review - I remember wondering the same thing when I watched the episode but then forgot all about it when he got roasted but was Varys attempting to get the serving girl to poison Dany?
Tyrion, knowing exactly what Varys is capable of would know that aside from plotting for Jon he'd very likely try to snuff out Dany so had to say something while he believed he could still guide her to be the ruler they thought she could be.

What if Dany does come around. Her and Jon come to some agreement or he gets over her being his Aunt. Just when you think there will be a happy ever after she takes a drink from a young serving girl and we get a Joff mk2 end for her...

Soldato
The plot points make sense most of the time yeah, it's that they come out of no where or something stupid happens to enable that plot point (Euron and Jamie I'm looking at you)

It's just lazy and rushed, maybe it just shows much more as we are all used to how it was back in the early seasons.

Soldato
Seems a very marmite season.

Ozzy man review, similar to last week, had me nodding along as felt largely the same. Rather bemused by the backlash.
That episode, taken in isolation, would in other seasons be absolutely lauded. What's changed? Maybe because the series is ending?

I really think it's peoples thoughts about how it should end not meeting expectations that's triggering some of this. Especially after how the NK was dealt with. Every. single. thing. is getting picked apart. "The dragon seeking ballista don't work anymore!" "AHMAHGAWWWD, how's that horse alive trolololol, this is last jedi bad."

Anyway, good point was raised in his review - I remember wondering the same thing when I watched the episode but then forgot all about it when he got roasted but was Varys attempting to get the serving girl to poison Dany?
Tyrion, knowing exactly what Varys is capable of would know that aside from plotting for Jon he'd very likely try to snuff out Dany so had to say something while he believed he could still guide her to be the ruler they thought she could be.

What if Dany does come around. Her and Jon come to some agreement or he gets over her being his Aunt. Just when you think there will be a happy ever after she takes a drink from a young serving girl and we get a Joff mk2 end for her...

I mean that kinda shows why you didn't mind it lol.

That's a terrible ending, Just have Jon throw seasons of morals away to sit beside someone who effectively dropped a nuke on children..

V_R

V_R

Soldato
You really can't figure out the context of what he wrote? Jesus.
Calm down. He went from saying...

"You’re welcome to discuss episode leaks BUT these must be in spoiler tags and labelled properly"

to

"Just a friendly reminder... anyone posting details of the leaks / spoilers will be banned."

...before he edited his post.

Personally I don't think discussing the leaks should be allowed but whatever, I'v read them and don't care about being spoilt but I appreciate there are people out there that don't want to know.

Soldato

I rewatched it all again before S8 started and there has been some equally crappy writing, scenes and acting all the way through. The issue we're seeing at the moment is that people will be more critical of the final season of anything, let alone something so pop/mainstream and let alone again, having to wait 2 years to see it. Hype is up and people are paying more attention, have high expectations and want to see it all carried out flawlessly.

However, it obviously doesn't help that a) money money money mooneey, MooOOoney! b) Writing was left to D&D c) Actors have other commitments and so do HBO.

GoT was never a "Great" show IMO, but it's certainly brought fantasy and HBO to the masses and a lot of money as a result so **** you if you don't like the way they handle it, it seems. The die-hard fans will love it even if it was written by Tommy Wiseau and the CGI doodled by a 5 year old with rickets.

Soldato
GoT was never a "Great" show IMO, but it's certainly brought fantasy and HBO to the masses and a lot of money as a result so **** you if you don't like the way they handle it, it seems. The die-hard fans will love it even if it was written by Tommy Wiseau and the CGI doodled by a 5 year old with rickets.

It was like the MCU in some respects, those films have been good popcorn but very few, if any, have hit the heights of "great films". The scope and ambition and the consistent high quality whilst trailblazing something untried before is their true greatness. We've all seen gritty multi-season dramas but no one had made fantasy work on TV before and never close to the scale of GoT. Same with the MCU some success with superheroes had been achieved with a very few really good films but never the scale the MCU achieved.

HBO deserve huge respect for the scale and quality that GoT has achieved.

Associate
Absolutely - its brought TV drama production levels a considerable way forward.

I do agree with some of the comments on pacing though. I couldn't help feel that the 2 first episodes in S8 were almost superfluous in some respects and areas. Almost like they could have brought that to 1 episode and spread out some of the other episode events.

The whole NK ending ... as good as a the episode was just seemed to end without any explanation ... for what reason was he coming south ? Yes, he's been dispatched ... but still dont really feel its been explained why, and in a similar vein, Bran.

Looking forward to the last episode though.

I think that Jon is going to kill D in a similar vein to Jamie killing the mad King.

I think that we'll see some more of Bran and how he influenced the past. ( such as telling the mad king to burn them all etc ).

As an extension of that, I would like to see Bran and the NK meeting each other through history, which all leads upto the NK meeting B at the tree. It would explain why the NK just stood there looking at Bran as if to go "you brought me here ... no what ? "

Soldato
Can we all agree at least that Sue Perkins has been awesome on Thronecast ever since she took it over? Will be sad to see the end of that more than anything else probably.

Associate
I mean that kinda shows why you didn't mind it lol.

That's a terrible ending, Just have Jon throw seasons of morals away to sit beside someone who effectively dropped a nuke on children..

Ha, didn't say he'd be happy about it ;) But yeah, you're right. Can't see Jon really ever getting over it despite kinda loving her. Regardless, might still be her fate to be struck down by Varys from beyond the grave?
Or they go with Jon become azhor ahai, killing his love to save the world when she descends even further down the rabbit hole and starts threatening to burn all Westeros if they don't bend.

Interesting analogy with the real world. The military leaders of the western world post ww2 aren't held in the same contempt or revulsion as their German equivalents.
Despite dropping nukes and firebombing German cities to ashes, the latter after the war was effectively over.

Back
Top Bottom