Handing in notice, awaiting bonus

Soldato
Hi,

Just had a second round interview which went extremely well and I think I have reason to expect a job offer shortly.

Bonus scheme at my current company is very ad-hoc, there's no formal structure or paperwork, and the boss just says if the company has done well (which it has) then it's 1 week's salary if you've done well and maybe more if you've been exceptional and there's anything left over.

I spoke with HR a week back to ask if bonuses were payable this year, and was told they aren't actually sure, but if they are then it'll be paid in May payslip.

For particular reasons, I'm not inclined to pull my line manager into a meeting to extract any more information, I'm just wondering what the likelihood is that in the case I would be due a bonus, am I going to have that rescinded if I give my notice before now and 31st May?

Caporegime
I'm just wondering what the likelihood is that in the case I would be due a bonus, am I going to have that rescinded if I give my notice before now and 31st May?

In plenty of companies it is pretty much guaranteed you'd not get paid a discretionary bonus if you've already handed in your notice!

(An exception perhaps being that you're working on some critical project and they still want you to put in extra effort, stay late etc.. and make sure certain things are delivered before you go... in which case you might have some targets set during your notice period etc..etc..)

Generally the thing to do is to hand in your notice right after any bonus hits your bank account - but I wouldn't worry about it too much if it is only equivalent to a week's pay... maybe ask to have your start date pushed back a bit or ask a query about contract and try to delay things by a couple of weeks before you need to sign and hand your notice in if you want.

Soldato
OP
In plenty of companies it is pretty much guaranteed you'd not get paid a discretionary bonus if you've already handed in your notice!

(An exception perhaps being that you're working on some critical project and they still want you to put in extra effort, stay late etc.. and make sure certain things are delivered before you go... in which case you might have some targets set during your notice period etc..etc..)

Generally the thing to do is to hand in your notice right after any bonus hits your bank account - but I wouldn't worry about it too much if it is only equivalent to a week's pay... maybe ask to have your start date pushed back a bit or ask a query about contract and try to delay things by a couple of weeks before you need to sign and hand your notice in if you want.
OK cheers that's good info. I think it's probably the case I wouldn't get paid anything.

My notice period is 2 months, I'm not sure delaying accepting the offer (which I've just been told is now being processed) for 2 weeks is really an option. Unless I was really candid with new company and explained I'm awaiting bonus. I guess depends how much of a hurry they are in. But have to balance that with the fact it is only 1 weeks' pay, and even then it's not guaranteed.

Caporegime
My notice period is 2 months, I'm not sure delaying accepting the offer (which I've just been told is now being processed) for 2 weeks is really an option. Unless I was really candid with new company and explained I'm awaiting bonus. I guess depends how much of a hurry they are in. But have to balance that with the fact it is only 1 weeks' pay, and even then it's not guaranteed.

It is absolutely acceptable in cases where a bonus is significant, I mean sometimes in those cases the new employer might offer a sign on bonus in lieu of the bonus the employee is foregoing, though with it being due only two weeks away they'd tend to just wait (or indeed the employee might delay things by two weeks by simply asking a couple of legal questions about the contract or stating they want to just check some clause with a solicitor etc.. an extra two week delay isn't much in the grand scheme of things, especially if your notice period is 2 months.).

Man of Honour
A week's pay is only about 2%, not really worth hanging around for IMO, especially as you will presumably get paid more in the new job, so delaying the start date means you earn slightly less money (excluding bonus) this year anyway, and again slightly less pro-rata bonus in the new role.

Soldato
A week's pay is only about 2%, not really worth hanging around for IMO, especially as you will presumably get paid more in the new job, so delaying the start date means you earn slightly less money (excluding bonus) this year anyway, and again slightly less pro-rata bonus in the new role.

This - doesn't sound like waiting around for 1 weeks extra pay is worth while

Back
Top Bottom