IKEA Hilver desk surface query

Soldato
Evening OCUKers,

For those with the Hilver work surface or knowledge of it - is the edge beveled in that inverted trapezoid way around the entirety of the edge, or is one long edge squared off?

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/table-tops-legs/hilver-table-top-bamboo-art-80278287/

Asking as I have a three monitor mount but the clamp needs a square edge to clamp on to.

If there isn't a square edge, how far from the top edge does the underside 'start'? Got clearance for just 2.4cm in the clamp.

20190513-001743.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not sure I'd want to mount a monitor stand on it with a clamp, looking at the description it's a honeycomb filling with bamboo surfaces, not solid.

Yeah, i'd personally go for a solid kitchen worktop - oh wait i did :D

I wouldn't be comfortable with just 24mm of clamp area for a monitor of any size. Especially not on a weak surface like composite/hollow board.

I had not seen this description on the spec page, but you're quite right. The clamp I have is heavy in itself, then adding three screens...on a very small clamp surface it isn't going to end well, is it!

Time for a rethink

Soldato
OP
Agreed. There is a small split in my table top, I must have pushed down on the edge too mush a some point in time.
Were you aware it wasn't solid bamboo before buying? It may have been I'd only noticed upon picking the thing up, but I didn't think it was at all clear it was just a thin layer of bamboo.

Back
Top Bottom