Finally the Jeremy Kyle show has been axed, 14 years too late.

Caporegime
I guess it is mental health awareness week etc... Granted some of the people who come on the show are complete and utter ****s who deserve plenty of scorn, others are perhaps vulnerable people and/or people who aren't quite right in the head... yet good old Jezza loves to just lay into them, make them feel ****, use their situation for cheap entertainment and then in some cases he lays off the shouting for a bit and pretends he's helping them turn their life around etc...

The "lie detector" tests are really dubious to use - these things are unreliable yet he acts as if they're solid evidence to use against a guest.

I wonder if X-Factor will be next - they seem to make use of delusional/potentially mentally ill people too in the earlier rounds for a bit of light entertainment... someone bombing in front of a small audience in a pub can end up feeling a bit crap for a day or two... someone bombing on national TV in front of millions (and then potentially the clip being preserved on youtube for even more views) could be devastating. I mean these people get screened first and are let through by the producers acting in very bad faith.. in fact the fact they've been let through perhaps gives them some false hope/adds to their delusion when in reality it is only the very good acts who get through to the judges and the very bad ones for us to laugh at... everyone else is sent home. They then go in front of the TV judges for the first time full of hope, after having passed the off camera round, and get very confused and sometimes quite angry when they get ripped to pieces by Simon & co... all makes for great TV but there is an outside chance that they'll pick on/build up false hope with the wrong delusional person there one day too and end up with a suicide on their hands.

Soldato
I guess it is mental health awareness week etc... Granted some of the people who come on the show are complete and utter ****s who deserve plenty of scorn, others are perhaps vulnerable people and/or people who aren't quite right in the head... yet good old Jezza loves to just lay into them, make them feel ****, use their situation for cheap entertainment and then in some cases he lays off the shouting for a bit and pretends he's helping them turn their life around etc...

The "lie detector" tests are really dubious to use - these things are unreliable yet he acts as if they're solid evidence to use against a guest.

I wonder if X-Factor will be next - they seem to make use of delusional/potentially mentally ill people too in the earlier rounds for a bit of light entertainment... someone bombing in front of a small audience in a pub can end up feeling a bit crap for a day or two... someone bombing on national TV in front of millions (and then potentially the clip being preserved on youtube for even more views) could be devastating. I mean these people get screened first and are let through by the producers acting in very bad faith.. in fact the fact they've been let through perhaps gives them some false hope/adds to their delusion when in reality it is only the very good acts who get through to the judges and the very bad ones for us to laugh at... everyone else is sent home. They then go in front of the TV judges for the first time full of hope, after having passed the off camera round, and get very confused and sometimes quite angry when they get ripped to pieces by Simon & co... all makes for great TV but there is an outside chance that they'll pick on/build up false hope with the wrong delusional person there one day too and end up with a suicide on their hands.

Problem for ITV is that if you take their never shrinking library of talent shows they'd literally have nothing left going on for them. It's basically 50/50 talent shows or crap like Love Island.

Associate
Thats a pity , for some reason when i'm off over the years and catch this on TV there has been this one Girl who has had several blokes DNA tested after saying yep 100% hes the dad of my baby , will never no now.

Caporegime
I never cared for it, but I want to add something here.

Whether or not you think that the subject matter (the victims of show so to speak) deserved this, you need to look at this from the perspective of your own position.

If you were one party in this show and a pointless illegitimate test alongside a biased host, made you look like a **** among dozens of people or hundreds of thousands of it aired, on what you may feel is a justified position, you’d feel pretty crap. (I know why go on this at all... I don’t get that tbh)

Jeremy Kyle and his ****** support team deserve this. Regardless of who typically sits in those chairs.

I can entirely envision how the manipulation of this show can cause a vulnerable person to kill themselves, it rightly should stop.

V F

V F

Soldato
About time.

My wife actually likes watching this believe it or not, usually only when she's unwell but even so. Most people on it are the dregs of society though. Anyone who thinks migrants are the issue in this country needs to watch a couple of episodes of Jeremy Kyle...

Second point. I understand the bullying/unreliable lie-detector results = suicide narrative, but it's strange that the media have been so focused on this and not for instance, suicide in ex military personnel as highlighted recently by SAS: Who dares wins.

I'm so glad I've never seen an episode. However, 14 years? I thought it was longer. I would have guessed this was on the go from 1997. I remember most people talking about those crappy daytime shows back then. It's also another good thing I don't get to see any tv during the day. Even night can be a bit of a struggle.

Soldato
I never cared for it, but I want to add something here.

Whether or not you think that the subject matter (the victims of show so to speak) deserved this, you need to look at this from the perspective of your own position.

If you were one party in this show and a pointless illegitimate test alongside a biased host, made you look like a **** among dozens of people or hundreds of thousands of it aired, on what you may feel is a justified position, you’d feel pretty crap. (I know why go on this at all... I don’t get that tbh)

Jeremy Kyle and his ****** support team deserve this. Regardless of who typically sits in those chairs.

I can entirely envision how the manipulation of this show can cause a vulnerable person to kill themselves, it rightly should stop.

Summed up how I feel about it pretty much, bar 1 issue:

The chap knows the format, he went on there willingly. No one is forced.

devils advocate and all that.

Soldato
Problem for ITV is that if you take their never shrinking library of talent shows they'd literally have nothing left going on for them. It's basically 50/50 talent shows or crap like Love Island.

They do need to bin off all these types of shows.

Unfortunately there seems to be a reasonable size of the population that enjoys watching this ****.

Caporegime
(I know why go on this at all... I don’t get that tbh)

I always assumed they got paid a big wad of cash otherwise why else would you go on national TV to be publicly humiliated nationwide? I've not watched it in any depth but I'd assume they never have posh/rich people on? it's basically exploitation and the people who watch it must be sadists.

Soldato
I imagine the only thing that separates the people on the show and the people watching it was about 5 IQ points and a bit of job security. Anyone could be pushed to those depths if you hit the right buttons.

Soldato
So some Muppets put themselves on TV for some cash and 5mins of fame to shine a light on their pathetic existence and dislike their pathetic existence being mocked for being pathetic after they highlighted the fact themselves?

I have a huge dose of who gives a **** for people stupid enough to appear on there in the first place and thinking it would help them or be worthwhile to their lives.

Caporegime
Summed up how I feel about it pretty much, bar 1 issue:

The chap knows the format, he went on there willingly. No one is forced.

devils advocate and all that.

May know the format, but doesn’t excuse the abuse by the network, audience or the viewers (predominantly poor people with similar issues...)

Many vulnerable people with little to live for are willing to be goaded into things if there’s any chance of resolution, this time it was a disaster.

Most people never gave a **** before, in some ways hiding your mental state was beneficial, nowadays it’s very much not so, everything is so... cerebral, it’s just impossible.

Still this is definitely a case of old meets new, social media is so prolific that this was bound to happen in this country to this show at some point, no one will learn from this.

V F

V F

Soldato
Would anyone care if ITV closed down for good, probably the worst channel ever created, even QVC is better.

Remember when ITV used to be great, Blockbusters, The A-Team, Knight Rider, Gladiators, Minder, The Bill, London's Burning, The Brian Connelly show, An Audience with... Strike it Lucky, You Bet, Who Wants to be a Millionaire...

Soldato
Shame, I have two weeks off before I start my new job and wanted to watch some Chav TV.

I think ITV was gunning to bin the show anyway so they can replace it with another crappy alternative show such as Love Island to gain more ratings.

He actually helped plenty of people on the show too which many have forgotten.

Soldato
Who Wants to be a Millionaire...

That's still around - once a year!

Although tbh that got boring over time.

The problem with ITV is they keep these long running shows on year-in year-out, X-factor/BGT should have been canned years ago.

Soldato
I always assumed they got paid a big wad of cash otherwise why else would you go on national TV to be publicly humiliated nationwide? I've not watched it in any depth but I'd assume they never have posh/rich people on? it's basically exploitation and the people who watch it must be sadists.

Think they got paid something like £250. Think of all the Super Tennents they can get with that!

I wouldn't say I'm a sadist but I did enjoy watching two groups of people endlessly yell at each other and whoever yelled louder was the winner. It's a bit like GD really.
Maybe it speaks about the lack of drama in my own life but I always found it amazing how these people who rarely have a set of teeth between 3 of them find so many people to sleep with so prolifically. It's actually rather impressive.

Plus you do get some gems of stories on there. My personal favorite was when two guys who really loved each other found out they were biologically related. Couldn't make it up. As always though. Play silly games, win silly prizes. Going on JK is a silly game....

Caporegime
Shame, I have two weeks off before I start my new job and wanted to watch some Chav TV.

I think ITV was gunning to bin the show anyway so they can replace it with another crappy alternative show such as Love Island to gain more ratings.

He actually helped plenty of people on the show too which many have forgotten.

I think those occasions where he helped were just, coincidence.

If if it’s about lying (cheated, stolen stuff, not the father ********) and you know you’re guilty, but are a ****... there’s no resolution there, it’s just trying to justify separation, with some money attached.

Almost everything else is slam dunk parted ways/you cool scenarios.

Back
Top Bottom