• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Original Titan Replacement

Soldato
Hi,

It's getting to that time again where I need a new PC, but will need to do it in segments (as budget allows).

Current PC:
2600K @ 4.5ghz
16GB Ram
OG Titan

At a push I could use my existing case and PSU (nice Corsair) to keep costs down, along with some form of Ryzen setup.

Question is, how does the old original Titan compare to the cards of today?

Could it be compared to a 1060? (or even a lesser card) Maybe one of the Radeon's would be a good replacement?

Thanks

Man of Honour
Broadly similar performance to my old 780GHz edition but with the extra VRAM which will help a bit in some newer games. But unfortunately Kepler does fall down badly in some newer games despite holding up OK in a lot of games - definitely will trail the 1060 by 10-20% in a lot of newer games.

I'd be cautious comparing it based on a lot of benchmarks - find some good end user side by side videos or something - for some reason a lot of mainstream tech sites have Kepler results around 20 even as much as 40% down depending on which card in the series compared to the kind of performance people actually see who own(ed) those cards.

bru

bru

Soldato
I'd be cautious comparing it based on a lot of benchmarks - find some good end user side by side videos or something - for some reason a lot of mainstream tech sites have Kepler results around 20 even as much as 40% down depending on which card in the series compared to the kind of performance people actually see who own(ed) those cards.

Yup use it only as a 'very rough' guide.

Permabanned
If wanting your components to last as long as possible it's worth considering a Radeon card, We've been seeing Nvidia cards suffering a performance drop off within a year or two after being replaced. We can see this if we compare Kepler to Maxwell on Maxwells release and then again a year later, and we can do the same with Maxwell to Pascal & there's no reason to expect to see anything change with Turing, It's how Nvidia roll.:rolleyes:

bru

bru

Soldato
If wanting your components to last as long as possible it's worth considering a Radeon card, We've been seeing Nvidia cards suffering a performance drop off within a year or two after being replaced. We can see this if we compare Kepler to Maxwell on Maxwells release and then again a year later, and we can do the same with Maxwell to Pascal & there's no reason to expect to see anything change with Turing, It's how Nvidia roll.:rolleyes:

Whereas if you want the same card to still be available in several years time, get an AMD one as they will keep rereleasing the same chip over and over and over and over again.:D:p:D

Permabanned
Whereas if you want the same card to still be available in several years time, get an AMD one as they will keep rereleasing the same chip over and over and over and over again.:D:p:D

True and it actually works in our favour, The 7850 chip's a good example, it lasted through 3 generations, The 7850, 265 & 370. The oddest bit was how its position within the range actually went up instead of down when we moved from the 200 to 300 series. :D

Back
Top Bottom