DJI Osmo Action

Soldato
There's an announcement from DJI on 15 May, and this is rumoured to be an action camera to take on GoPro's near monopoly. However, as with all these things, it looks like details have leaked:

https://www.diyphotography.net/photos-and-specs-of-the-new-dji-osmo-action-camera-have-been-leaked/

No details of image stabilisation which is a bit worrying. The GoPro 7 does this really well, on the latest firmware version. And the form factor, like the GoPro, is just not helpful to those who want to mount on to motorbikes and helmets etc.

Soldato
Ive been watching this the last few days.

There is stabilization in it, apparently, called Rocksteady and is like the GoPro stabilization. And I did read that it will have a 3 axis gimbal but I cant see that happening.

There was also a video on youtube by Mauro where he reviews it but its been taken down. I think his account got hacked and the video was leaked ahead of the reveal.

We will know more later but going by the leaked stuff it looks good.

Soldato
Wow, looks great. Blown away by the onboard audio. It always sucks on those cameras. but the audio on all those clips were great.

The Rocksteady stabilisation looks great too.

Waterproof without a box.

Screen for selfie filming.

I think they're onto a winner.

This'll kill GoPro within 3 years.

GoPro have been struggling as a company for a while, this will either boot them up the ass to get their act together or start their demise.

lol when iPhonedo uses voice commands to stop her recording though - that could be a pain if there's no voice recognition. You could sabotage someones footage by constantly shouting commands while their recording :D

Soldato
Sony sound still seems to be the best, but the DJI is way better than the GoPro.

Very low light isn't great on the Osmo, low light and above is fine though, and it seems the great stabilisation comes at the cost of a much greater crop than the GoPro, so many other great features though.

Wow, Faruk is definitely my fav tech reviewer at the mo. His vids are very well thought out technically and beautifully shot.

He didnt' get his **** out in the pool ike iJustine, but I was still able to squeeze one out over his cinemetography. So his vid still got a thumbs up from me and was way more informative overall.

Soldato
OP
I've ordered one today to see how it compares to the GoPro 7. As usual with DJI there's a near complete deficit of accessories at launch (spare batteries, attachments etc) but I think I can maybe make some use of existing GoPro mounts.

I've looked but haven't seen any details on bluetooth connections, to open the possibility of attaching a bluetooth microphone. Although seemingly better than GoPro's sound, the Action won't be able to defy the laws of physics and give great sound at 70 mph, and I'm sure a wired mic will compromise the waterproofing as ever.

Soldato
I had been thinking about getting a GoPro Hero7 a week or so back, then got an email about this. It does look a great camera. I had been wondering if I could use the GoPro in my set up to perhaps film myself, so seeing this with a front facing screen is a great feature, but then if I can't use a third party mic would be a real shame.

I've only watched one or two short reviews, do we know if you can remove the fish eye effect?

I cross between this and the pocket would probably be ideal for me actually...

Soldato
All fish eye effects can be removed in post. You lose a bit of it due to being cropped. I made a video from my 7 Black and 'flattened' the video.

Soldato
I've only watched one or two short reviews, do we know if you can remove the fish eye effect?

I cross between this and the pocket would probably be ideal for me actually...

Ive just seen a video and yes you can. Its called Dewarp, and can be used in video and pictures.

Scroll to 13:20 for the info

Back
Top Bottom