• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1070 to 2080 Ti upgrade woes

Soldato
Hi all,
I upgraded from a 1070 to a 2080 Ti and faced some issues, hoping you can all help answer a question or two.
  • I uninstalled my 1070 via device manager and deleted the drivers, did not have GeForce Experience installed at this time.
  • Restarted my PC, ran DDU, cleaned up the Nvidia drivers, installed the 2080.
  • When trying to install the drivers 430.64 (the latest), the installer kept failing. It was telling me that it wasn't compatible with my version of Windows. Now it either did that, or started the install process, got to the "installing drivers" section and would then just say "Failed".
  • I tried a previous version, same issue. It said I should try updating my drivers via the GeForce Experience app. So I installed that, run the driver checker and installed successfully.
  • I then ran 3D Mark, as you do, and scored around 11.1k. Quite a substantial boost from the 6k I was getting with the 1070.
I then wanted to change a setting and realised that the Nvidia Control Panel was missing. Googling told me I should try re-installing my drivers. Ran into the same issues as before, but eventually resolved these by following a post I found on Reddit. I stopped the automatic Windows install of drivers, delete a registry key relating to DCH (universal Windows driver?), and installed via the downloaded driver package, GeForce Experience and all.

I ran 3D Mark again and found I scored 9k now! I checked the results against the previous run and can see that I am getting around 20fps less on each of the tests. One thing that stood out to me was the core clock speed. I have a Gigabyte 2080 Ti Gaming, which states this should be at 1650, which is up from the 1500 the cards are usually that.
For the 3D Mark where I scored 11.1k, this has a core speed of ~1900. I noticed at the time of that run temps got to around 65-67 which is fine. The latter run, the temps didn't even get to 60. Which makes me wonder what changed here?

My question is, can anyone explain, why it seems that installing the drivers via the GeForce experience app, to get over my failed attempts before, seems to have resulted in different clock speeds being registered, an increase in performance and why now, I am scoring around 2k, and 20fps less?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
OP
I am on the latest version, this was something I also checked yesterday when I had issues installing. Either way I eventually got the drivers to install and not sure that explains the dip?

Permabanned
Also worth noting for future upgrades that when going from an Nvidia to Nvidia gpu or an AMD to AMD gpu it's worth just uninstalling the old card and installing the new card, then see how you get on before touching the drivers. I rarely have problems doing that and it's often only when there's a big new driver update that you might run into issues. Modern drivers are a lot more forgiving than they used to be.

Soldato
OP
This is a relatively fresh install of Windows. I upgrade my NVME driver just a 4-6 weeks ago and haven't installed all that much since :(

So out of curiosity I uninstalled my drivers via the "Programs and features" control panel. I then restarted, loaded GeForce Experience, which found a driver update and it did it's thing.

If I select custom install from GeForce Experience, I can see that it has not installed Physx, some USB-C thing and the HD Audio driver.

I ran 3D Mark again before installing any of the above and my 3D Mark has shot back up to 11.5k.
Had GPU-Z and HWMonitor open on the second screen and can see the GPU Clock hit a high of 1950mhz, this is what I see the first run I did. Subsequent runs this has maxed at 1350Mhz.

So what is happening here? Which is the correct GPU Clock speed and why is there a difference?

*Edit*
Okay so another update. I went ahead and installed the remainder of the drivers and ran the score again and all is fine! Something clearly went wrong with the driver installation at some stage and has resulted it my card underperforming. Looking at the clock speeds of other 2080 Ti's it seems it was down on where it should be.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
If I had to guess I would say that messing with DDU caused the issues, it probably got rid of something it shouldn't had. Best not to use it at all, especially if going from NVIDIA to NVIDIA.

Back
Top Bottom